Restoration rye

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wow I just saw an article talking about castle and key's first rye release under their own name. I really liked the stuff they sourced to pinhook. I liked it a lot, a whole case already a lot. Unfortunately it seems that the release will be distillery only. But I hope whoever gets one enjoys it thoroughly and gives tasting reviews here. I look forward to their widespread releases someday soon.

Is it at least 4yo and bonded at 100 pf? I recall that the original claim was they would only release under their brand a BIB whiskey and eventually older whiskey.

The website implies that it is around 4 years old, but I can't find any mention of the word "straight" or an actual age statement on the whiskey currently. I did however find they are only charging $40 a bottle though. At that price I'd definitely take a chance. The pinhook rye'd on is age stated at two years.

There's probably whiskey in the blend less than 4yrs old and they don't want to provide an age statement so they can't call it Straight.

• I like it 1

This in one I have had on the calander for a long time and I was looking toward 2021 for the initial release. MB definitely stated that the initial C&K release would be BiB as a tip of the hat to Col. Taylor and the history of the facility. I was very surprised that the press release on thier website made no mention of any of that. The timeline seems plenty close to realize that BiB goal so the announcement is a bit anticlimactic for me, hopefully there is a real bib not too far off.

On 12/5/2020 at 10:00 AM, kcgumbohead said:

This in one I have had on the calander for a long time and I was looking toward 2021 for the initial release. MB definitely stated that the initial C&K release would be BiB as a tip of the hat to Col. Taylor and the history of the facility. I was very surprised that the press release on thier website made no mention of any of that. The timeline seems plenty close to realize that BiB goal so the announcement is a bit anticlimactic for me, hopefully there is a real bib not too far off.

There is apparently more than one reason why she left. I expect this is one. Maybe a big one.

10 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

There is apparently more than one reason why she left. I expect this is one. Maybe a big one.

I was thinking the same after reading the release notes.

• 1 month later...

I got to taste batch #1 of this today. It’s the 103 proof batch. The mashbill is 63% rye, 17% corn and 20% malted barley. It doesn’t say Straight Rye on the bottle as I recall, but it actually does have a handwritten age statement of 3yrs on the back label. The distributor rep said that they were told that the actual age is a bit over 3 1/2 years. I was pretty impressed with it for as young as it is. I think Marianne should be proud of this since she clearly had a hand in making it. Pricing is supposed to be in the low $40 range, and it is being distributed in Tennessee starting this week. I’ll have my own bottle on Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

It has some interesting creaminess for a young rye. Potential there but time will tell what they choose to do with it.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.