Mystic Farm & Distillery Redux

Mystic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi All,

Apparently I ruffled a few feathers here back in 2017 by introducing Mystic and disappearing.  Not an excuse, but running a field to bottle distillery that's trying to make real craft bourbon is a double-time job and I didn't make it back here to answer any of the questions.  We're very proud of the bourbon and other spirits we're offering, and if you're ever in North Carolina, I'll be glad to show you around the distillery.  

Heart of Mystic is our single-barrel cask-strength bourbon that we produce from corn and soft winter wheat grown on leased acreage and on our own land.  The water used comes directly from the aquifer below our distillery without any water treatment.  We age in 53 gallon barrels only, and store all the barrels on site. Heart barrels are carefully selected in groups of three and each set of releases is meant to showcase a range of flavors.  Our latest notable Heart Barrels are 32, 33 and 34, with 32 having a distinctive tobacco note and 33 and 34 leaning more towards fruit with a sweeter finish. Heart is usually in the 116 to 120 proof range.

Collectors might be interested in our Broken Oak bourbon that got double barreled because the first barrels developed leaks 7 to 8 months after filling, and were re-barreled into new cooperage from the same producer which - wait for it - also leaked.  We lost 16 full 53 gallon barrels of bourbon (a serious problem for a tiny little distillery like ours), but we have found some amazing whiskey in the remaining barrels.  We bottle it in very limited releases at 94 proof. Broken Oak has much more sweetness and a very floral nose.

We are perhaps best known for Mystic Bourbon Liqueur (dessert for the hardcore bourbon drinker), a blend of Heart of Mystic Bourbon, wildflower honey and a tea made from 9 whole spices.  We proof down the bourbon and honey mixture with the spice tea to 60 proof. 

We pride ourselves on a VERY detailed tour experience, and we also offer a truly unique experience called Single Barrel where the participants spend about 6 hours mashing and distilling with us, and then fill a barrel bearing their inscription.  Each year the participant returns to take a pint sample off the barrel and when their barrel is bottled they receive bottle #1 from their barrel and have dibs on as many bottles as they'd like to purchase.  They can also purchase the empty barrel or just the head with their inscription.

Again, sorry if I ghosted the people who asked questions about us, but I've adjusted my settings so I get notified when a follow up is posted.

ProductsonPiano.jpeg

Mystic_2020-19.jpg

• I like it 1

Good luck to you guys. I make it to Durham a couple of times a year (under normal circumstances) for business, so will try to visit next time. 

19 hours ago, Mystic said:

Hi All,

Apparently I ruffled a few feathers here back in 2017 by introducing Mystic and disappearing.  Not an excuse, but running a field to bottle distillery that's trying to make real craft bourbon is a double-time job and I didn't make it back here to answer any of the questions.  We're very proud of the bourbon and other spirits we're offering, and if you're ever in North Carolina, I'll be glad to show you around the distillery.  

Heart of Mystic is our single-barrel cask-strength bourbon that we produce from corn and soft winter wheat grown on leased acreage and on our own land.  The water used comes directly from the aquifer below our distillery without any water treatment.  We age in 53 gallon barrels only, and store all the barrels on site. Heart barrels are carefully selected in groups of three and each set of releases is meant to showcase a range of flavors.  Our latest notable Heart Barrels are 32, 33 and 34, with 32 having a distinctive tobacco note and 33 and 34 leaning more towards fruit with a sweeter finish. Heart is usually in the 116 to 120 proof range.

Collectors might be interested in our Broken Oak bourbon that got double barreled because the first barrels developed leaks 7 to 8 months after filling, and were re-barreled into new cooperage from the same producer which - wait for it - also leaked.  We lost 16 full 53 gallon barrels of bourbon (a serious problem for a tiny little distillery like ours), but we have found some amazing whiskey in the remaining barrels.  We bottle it in very limited releases at 94 proof. Broken Oak has much more sweetness and a very floral nose.

We are perhaps best known for Mystic Bourbon Liqueur (dessert for the hardcore bourbon drinker), a blend of Heart of Mystic Bourbon, wildflower honey and a tea made from 9 whole spices.  We proof down the bourbon and honey mixture with the spice tea to 60 proof. 

We pride ourselves on a VERY detailed tour experience, and we also offer a truly unique experience called Single Barrel where the participants spend about 6 hours mashing and distilling with us, and then fill a barrel bearing their inscription.  Each year the participant returns to take a pint sample off the barrel and when their barrel is bottled they receive bottle #1 from their barrel and have dibs on as many bottles as they'd like to purchase.  They can also purchase the empty barrel or just the head with their inscription.

Again, sorry if I ghosted the people who asked questions about us, but I've adjusted my settings so I get notified when a follow up is posted.

ProductsonPiano.jpeg

Mystic_2020-19.jpg

What is the age?

I'm a NC resident and have been very curious about your product. Thanks for the informative post. Looking forward to trying some!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/17/2020 at 12:53 AM, flahute said:

What is the age?

My smart-ass answer is that we age right up until we need a mortgage payment!

The reality is that age is a rough proxy for how good a given barrel might be.  We don't release anything younger than about 3 years, and most of our recent releases have been between 42 and 55 months.  It really just depends on the barrel.  We spend a good deal of time deciding what to release because we realize that we will destroy our reputation if we release something too young.  Come in and try some!

I would also respectfully suggest that the current obsession with age is misplaced.  Bourbon develops far more between the second and third year than it does between the fifth and sixth year.  My own preference is in the double-barreled product that ages 7-9 months in the first barrel and about 3.5 years in the second. It's easy to go too long - especially with lightly seasoned oak as the tannins start to ruin the finish.

Edited by Mystic
Elaboration
  • I like it 1

On 1/11/2021 at 6:26 AM, Mystic said:

I would also respectfully suggest that the current obsession with age is misplaced.  Bourbon develops far more between the second and third year than it does between the fifth and sixth year.  My own preference is in the double-barreled product that ages 7-9 months in the first barrel and about 3.5 years in the second. It's easy to go too long - especially with lightly seasoned oak as the tannins start to ruin the finish.

Depends on what you mean by 'obsession'. If you are talking about the people who automatically think that older is better, especially when you get into the high double digits, then yes.

When you are talking about young craft whiskey then it absolutely matters. I've tasted way too much 1,2,3, and 4 year old swill. Some of us use the age to get an idea of what to expect, not because we are obsessed. You can't cheat time in a barrel.

You can do things like heat cycling a brick rickhouse, like Old Forester, that results in pretty dang good flavors at 4-5 years. You can lower the barrel entry proof quite a bit to pull out the water soluble flavors and wood sugars and get better results at a younger age. Absent that knowledge, or a chance to taste is first, we use age to help us decide if it's worth a purchase.

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, flahute said:

Depends on what you mean by 'obsession'. If you are talking about the people who automatically think that older is better, especially when you get into the high double digits, then yes.

When you are talking about young craft whiskey then it absolutely matters. I've tasted way too much 1,2,3, and 4 year old swill. Some of us use the age to get an idea of what to expect, not because we are obsessed. You can't cheat time in a barrel.

You can do things like heat cycling a brick rickhouse, like Old Forester, that results in pretty dang good flavors at 4-5 years. You can lower the barrel entry proof quite a bit to pull out the water soluble flavors and wood sugars and get better results at a younger age. Absent that knowledge, or a chance to taste is first, we use age to help us decide if it's worth a purchase.

Agreed, many distilleries, big and small, are pulling product that's too young because of market forces.  However, there's also a lot of $200+ bottles of tannic and solvent nosed trash being sold to people who simply look at the age statement and assume time=value

Edited by Mystic
  • I like it 2

Any particular on-premise accounts in Raleigh that best represent/champion your brands?

I won't have time to visit the distillery, but can certainly buy a pour to review at a restaurant or hotel bar.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:26 AM, Marekv8 said:

Any particular on-premise accounts in Raleigh that best represent/champion your brands?

I won't have time to visit the distillery, but can certainly buy a pour to review at a restaurant or hotel bar.

It's hard for us to know because all sales are through the State liquor board system, but I'll do some asking around and see who has us behind the bar and is still open for in-person dining.  Safe Travels!

Edited by Mystic

2 hours ago, Mystic said:

It's hard for us to know because all sales are through the State liquor board system, but I'll do some asking around and see who has us behind the bar and is still open for in-person dining.  Safe Travels!

OK-- I figured you folks dd account visits. I'll just check at the bar wherever I find myself. Is your bourbon liqueur in the vein of Prichard’s Sweet Lucy and/or GMT?

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

OK-- I figured you folks dd account visits. I'll just check at the bar wherever I find myself. Is your bourbon liqueur in the vein of Prichard’s Sweet Lucy and/or GMT?

I'd love to but COVID...  

It's been five years since I tasted Sweet Lucy, but I remember it being somewhat sweeter than Mystic Bourbon Liqueur.  That said, if you're  regular bourbon drinker (drinking 90 proof and above neat), Mystic Liqueur is going to be dessert.  If that's the case, enjoy a bit of Mystic and then try our Heart of Mystic (cask strength and always single-barrel) with a splash of water or Broken Oak neat.

We're only 15 minutes from RDU, and I'd be happy to pour you samples of everything.  

P.S. I don't know what GMT is, but I'll look it up.

Edited by Mystic

On 1/15/2021 at 6:31 AM, Mystic said:

Agreed, many distilleries, big and small, are pulling product that's too young because of market forces.  However, there's also a lot of $200+ bottles of tannic and solvent nosed trash being sold to people who simply look at the age statement and assume time=value

I call that the bell shaped curve.

15 hours ago, Mystic said:

I'd love to but COVID...  

It's been five years since I tasted Sweet Lucy, but I remember it being somewhat sweeter than Mystic Bourbon Liqueur.  That said, if you're  regular bourbon drinker (drinking 90 proof and above neat), Mystic Liqueur is going to be dessert.  If that's the case, enjoy a bit of Mystic and then try our Heart of Mystic (cask strength and always single-barrel) with a splash of water or Broken Oak neat.

We're only 15 minutes from RDU, and I'd be happy to pour you samples of everything.  

P.S. I don't know what GMT is, but I'll look it up.

GMT = George M. Tiddy’s

I'll be driving in from Tullahoma-- so the distance from RDU is not a factor. I'll report any Mystic findings.

IMG_5760.thumb.jpg.bedca6c111a11c1a8ee2956bf55fd401.jpg

• I like it 1

GMT! I can’t believe it. 😲 A bowling buddy got me to try this many, many years ago. A veritable licorice bomb. This was the drink of choice for him and his snowmobile buddies when they went snowmobiling in the UP. The just called it Tiddy’s, which sounds a lot like titties.🤫 I heard a few stories about some of their adventures. Crazy.🤪

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2021 at 8:02 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Guess what I saw today?  🤔

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

Nice, I actually had a small pour on Sunday morning with coffee. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.