What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/1/2021 at 9:42 AM, fosmith said:

Only @parksmart could find "dusties" at Total Wine lol!  You're an amazing hunter and thanks for grabbing one for me.  I've never had a fantail bottle WTKS before.  In fact, I'm halfway through my first ever bottle of WTKS (new style bottle) and, I have to say, it's really really good.  As much as I love WT101, this is an order of magnitude better.  I was skeptical but it's worth the up charge, IMO.  I know.. it's a SiB so YMMV.  

Those two fantails WTKS bottles I picked up here in NC last year when the ABC stores reduced the price to $35 to clear them out were also from warehouse A.

Bottled 7/27/2018
Barrel #453
Warehouse A
Rick #4

The first one I opened was good but took about 3 weeks before it really began to shine. The other one was fantastic right away.

If the bottles you all picked up are similar to those I have, you're in for a treat.

• I like it 1

On 2/1/2021 at 10:23 PM, ijb said:

Went out around town to about 5 stores today and picked up the following - 

• Weller SR 24.99
  • ECBP c920 61.99
  • Weller OWA 51.99
  • Eagle Rare store pick - 33.99
  • Booker's pigskin - 90

First time having the ECBP, fantastic!  Sort of blown away how good.  Cheers.

I LOVE the standard EC but once I had the ECBP my whiskey eyes were opened. Curious to your thoughts on the Booker. Have you had any of the other 2020 releases?

On 2/10/2021 at 5:41 PM, FasterHorses said:

image.thumb.jpeg.87cf41e85f78f8b06021be30bfb9bd09.jpeg
Thought it was a cool bottle.. heard this ones better left unopened

Have you opened this yet? I need some details about what's on the inside here

On 2/12/2021 at 6:51 PM, Clueby said:

I broke the 2021 buying drought over the course of the last week or so.

20210212_163711.jpg

What's that little guy between the EC18 and Whistle Pig set (which looks pretty sweet)?

On 2/18/2021 at 7:44 PM, Radioyada said:

Picked up a Stagg Jr. batch 15.  Plan on opening it this weekend to see how this one is.

Have you tried Batch 14? How do they compare?

8 hours ago, k-train said:

Those two fantails WTKS bottles I picked up here in NC last year when the ABC stores reduced the price to $35 to clear them out were also from warehouse A.

Bottled 7/27/2018
Barrel #453
Warehouse A
Rick #4

The first one I opened was good but took about 3 weeks before it really began to shine. The other one was fantastic right away.

If the bottles you all picked up are similar to those I have, you're in for a treat.

i passed on a new-bottle WTKS from Warehouse A last week. almost pulled the trigger - the A was why - but ultimately didnt.

the best RR pik ive had was from A.

• I like it 2

On 2/20/2021 at 4:48 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Good Times barrel pick and a couple of old reliables...

20210220_162608.jpg

Who signed the footballs? And all these OGD114's.. Am I missing magic?

27 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

Avoid.

• I like it 3

20 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

This guy liked it a lot.  I've heard others say it's terrible.  YMMV. 

26 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

Have you tried Batch 14? How do they compare?

I was not a fan of batch 14.  Not saying it was not good, but there were much better batches.  15 is probably my third favorite behind 9 and 12.

• I like it 1

46 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

What's that little guy between the EC18 and Whistle Pig set (which looks pretty sweet)?

It's a sample bottle of Five Farms "small batch" Irish Cream. It's good... really good! But still hard to justify $30+ for a bottle of Irish Cream.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:36 PM, 0895 said:

Channeled my inner clueby and “acquired” this today.

I like all 3 batches pretty equally, but 1 has that incredible tobacco aroma that I can’t stop dreaming about.

94ED7C8C-E07D-40A5-A3A8-B9EAF0F99658.jpeg

How hard are these to find? I've only tried the OF1920 and it's stupid good, to me

On 2/27/2021 at 5:16 PM, Marekv8 said:

After a 2+ year drought-- a nice MSRP lottery win. Wonderful color.

IMG_5875.thumb.jpg.b5a6640ae069919f04146486d0b1525c.jpg

This looks gorgeous! How does it taste?

33 minutes ago, flahute said:

Avoid.

I've actually never had a Willett Bourbon but I own a Rye. Are any Willett Bourbon's worth searching for?

8 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

How hard are these to find? I've only tried the OF1920 and it's stupid good, to me

Id say pretty hard to locate.

I haven’t seen any sitting around anywhere.

Honestly, the 1920 is tough to beat.

id say it’s one of the best bottles available right now.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, LvR Mike said:

I've actually never had a Willett Bourbon but I own a Rye. Are any Willett Bourbon's worth searching for?

Unless it's one of the sourced barrels I'd steer clear unless you taste it first. Very much a mixed bag on their own distillate with a unique flavor profile and you better be sure it's in your wheelhouse before springing the big bucks required to get one. If not possible to taste first there's nothing wrong with paying a big price to scratch the itch. We've all done it.

• I like it 2

47 minutes ago, flahute said:

Unless it's one of the sourced barrels I'd steer clear unless you taste it first. Very much a mixed bag on their own distillate with a unique flavor profile and you better be sure it's in your wheelhouse before springing the big bucks required to get one. If not possible to taste first there's nothing wrong with paying a big price to scratch the itch. We've all done it.

Tell me about it. That's how I feel about my Stagg Jr. What's actual MSRP on a Willett Bourbon and what does it actually go for lol

I realized recently that it's been forever since I last had anything by Four Roses. I saw that NC ABC has 4RSmB on sale this month, so I headed to the store with the intent to pick up one of those. My neighborhood store actually had 6 bottles of 4RSiB on the shelf, and for whatever reason, it's been a little harder to come by lately. So, I figured it was best to grab the SiB instead, since I may not see another for a while.

1037417995_FourRosesSingleBarrel-1b.thumb.jpg.1257b47fd36488ee42acd26efd53fab0.jpg

They also are doing that thing they did last year where they mark MMCS down from $50 to $40 for a month. So, I had to grab one of those as well. Since I still have some MM101 left, I plan to do a SBS to compare the two. Right before the MM101 was rolled out everywhere last year, I had started a thread asking folks who had tried both at that point what their thoughts were on each. It'll be nice to finally get to do my own comparison.

1049094596_MakersMarkCaskStrength(20-03)-3b.thumb.jpg.08777643f9cc72ef4401deed78203108.jpg

Edited by k-train
  • I like it 2

22 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Heard bad things.. not gonna open anytime soon

Had a day off and Raining so went down to NOLA yesterday, ended up coming home with.

Willett Family Estate - Single Barrel  -- great

KCSiB120

MMCS
ECBP  
MM1792 Full Proof  x2

1792 BnB -- love this

MM46

Old Overholt Bonded Rye

155147454_545299633126644_7790160717003842512_o.jpg

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Who signed the footballs? And all these OGD114's.. Am I missing magic?

Joe Theismann,  Clinton Portis, Jordan Reed.  All freebies. I wouldn't pay anything for 'em, except for Theismann.

As for "missing magic" I love the stuff, YMMV...

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

A local near me got Early Times BIB in, which I haven't seen at all near me, so had to grab a bottle. Never had before so looking forward to opening tonight!

• I like it 1

In addition to restocking some regulars (OF 100, OF 1920, ECSB handle), I grabbed a Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof to try.

• I like it 1

Passed on a bunch of overpriced sourced fake back story stuff but I did pick up a bottle of JB SiB 108 proof, non filtered.  For $26 it was an easy buy.  Since they are doing away with the J.T.S. Brown BIB I grabbed a handle of it.  Solid bottom shelf pour.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.