What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It looks our local distributor has unloaded a lot of regular BT in our area.  I am seeing it every where, including 1.75 L bottles.  It has never been in my wheelhouse so I passed on an opportunity to pick up a 1.75 L bottle for around $40.  

I am not certain why I have never warmed up to it.  I like ER and CEHT, and absolutely loved OC10 which was an even lower proof.  It must be a combination of the age and proof.  

• I like it 1

I agree BT was everwhere this week. Every Binny's I went to had at least 6 bottles on the shelf. I passed but got lucky and found a bottle of CEHT on the shelf for $45.

• I like it 1

I don't know what's with Kroger.  They have raised prices on some items like WT and 4R.  Meanwhile Old Forester 100 and Rye have been missing.  I'm glad I have other stores locally.

In the past, I've watched Kroger raise prices, then change them back to what they were previously. 🤔

41 minutes ago, Beebe said:

I passed on 750ml of WSR for a whopping $89.99. 

That's almost a bargain based on pricing I've seen at other places.  I've seen it as high as $180 for a 750ml.  Caskers has it for $125.  ?!?! 

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

That's almost a bargain based on pricing I've seen at other places.  I've seen it as high as $180 for a 750ml.  Caskers has it for $125.  ?!?! 

Im not one to pay much over MSRP for a bottle of bourbon. 

On 1/30/2021 at 12:00 PM, fosmith said:

The Dickel 13yr BiB was the 2019 release and it won some award from, I think, Whiskey Advocate.  Because of that, a LS near me marked it up to $497.99 lol.  It was a pretty good pour but it did have that distinct mineral note.  The 2020 release is 11yo and, while I haven't opened mine yet, most reviews I've read say it has much less of that mineral note.  Anyway, that's probably the one you're seeing on the shelf and, at that price, I'd say it's worth a try. 

On the mineral note, to me, if there's just a hint, it adds complexity and is not off putting at all.  I recently opened a bottle of a Barrell Bourbon SiB store pick which was distilled in Tennessee.  I'd bet the farm that it's Dickel because of a hint of that mineral note but, man, is it delicious! 

Sounds like we might have similar palates.  I quite enjoy it when it's subtle like in the blue label BiB and with most Barrell blends when blended with Ky and mgp/Indiana.

Call me a fan of the GD 13 yr BiB. I also have an 11 yr but have not opened it yet.

One reason I guess I'm a Dickel fan is because it fills a niche for me.  On those occasional "off palate" nights when my regular go-to's don't taste like they normally do, I often reach for Dickel or a Barrell with Dickel in the blend. Sometimes it tastes better then anything else on those occasions. 

• I like it 1

53 minutes ago, Kepler said:

....One reason I guess I'm a Dickel fan is because it fills a niche for me.  On those occasional "off palate" nights when my regular go-to's don't taste like they normally do, I often reach for Dickel or a Barrell with Dickel in the blend. Sometimes it tastes better then anything else on those occasions. 

Me, too.  Dickel whiskey has been my palate resetter for years.      👍🏻

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Me, too.  Dickel whiskey has been my palate resetter for years.      👍🏻

That's interesting.  Must be something to that.

The other day, I noticed Big House with a 6 year age statement.  I thought it was a dusty, then noticed the label said Sazerac and KY.  I thought about it for $20, but passed.

Passed on a HMcK BiB on the shelf for $56.99 OTD.  I would have purchased if I didn't already have one bunkered.

Passed on a 1792 FP Store selection, can't remember the price.  But the reason for passing on this was not the price as much as the last

bottle was just OK.  Not great, but just OK.  Trying not to purchase bottles that don't "move me".

Passed on a KCSB 120 that was 9y4m old.  I may need to go back later and revisit that decision.

Edited by Richdel

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Old Tub for $39.99.

BT 1L $48.00, (hard pass)

KC 12-year $75.00

$39.99 for OT? Woof. Speaking of hard passes....

PA sells it for $16.99, which I feel it’s just about worth, if peanut brittle bourbon is your thing. 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Rhettro said:

$39.99 for OT? Woof. Speaking of hard passes....

PA sells it for $16.99, which I feel it’s just about worth, if peanut brittle bourbon is your thing. 

I bought a 375 ml bottle, a few years ago at the Beam gift shop.     It was the first time that I've seen it around here, (Baltimore metro area).   I'd pay $16.99 for  a 750 ml bottle....

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, JvW said:

Town Branch Oloroso Cask Strength for $79.99; haven’t heard anything about this anywhere...

That sounds interesting, let us know how it is.

Saw a bottle of Angel's Envy Cask Strength at liquor store for ~$200.  Haven't tried it before, and looking at the website, I see they sold them all.

Also passed on Calumet 14 yr for $120.  Still several of these available, has anyone tried it, and what was your opinion?

11 hours ago, geclbxf said:

That sounds interesting, let us know how it is.

Well, I passed since it’s in the Passed thread....😁

• I like it 3

On 2/7/2021 at 12:13 PM, Mano said:

Saw a bottle of Angel's Envy Cask Strength at liquor store for ~$200.  Haven't tried it before, and looking at the website, I see they sold them all.

Also passed on Calumet 14 yr for $120.  Still several of these available, has anyone tried it, and what was your opinion?

I noticed the Calumet 14 yr for about same price at my local last time I was in. It’s piqued my curiosity, and I’m leaning toward picking one up. So, I don’t have any helpful insight for you (yet), but I too would welcome any opinions from the forum before I commit.

2 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I noticed the Calumet 14 yr for about same price at my local last time I was in. It’s piqued my curiosity, and I’m leaning toward picking one up. So, I don’t have any helpful insight for you (yet), but I too would welcome any opinions from the forum before I commit.

Its good, I like the Sam Houston 14y better, but I'm pretty sure they are the same juice, (Barton 1792). Hey, it's 14y old juice, Im not telling you to buy it, but age stated 14y for around $100 to $150 today, not bad. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

but age stated 14y for around $100 to $150 today, not bad. 

Yup.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Its good, I like the Sam Houston 14y better, but I'm pretty sure they are the same juice, (Barton 1792). Hey, it's 14y old juice, Im not telling you to buy it, but age stated 14y for around $100 to $150 today, not bad. 

Three Springs Bottling is just down I65 from me.  Both are sourced, I believe the SH was through Bardstown Bourbon Company, not certain on the source of the Calumet but definitely a Barton product.  

• I like it 1

Passed on Little Book 3, Kentucky Owl batch 10, ECSB Kappy's store pick.  All were good (msrp, not good but...) prices but there were better options today.

Edited by ijb
  • I like it 1

10 hours ago, ijb said:

Passed on Little Book 3, Kentucky Owl batch 10, ECSB Kappy's store pick.  All were good (msrp, not good but...) prices but there were better options today.

Better options than LB3 at retail?  I'd run back to that store...

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.