What beer are you drinking 2021?

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Cellar diving last night. The left is a '13 and the right is a '16. The '13 had developed a little anise, which I dont like. Had I known in 2009 what I know now I would've never cellared any beer longer than 2 or 3 years. I’ve yet to find something that improved past that point. 

20210102_174700.jpg

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Cellar diving last night. The left is a '13 and the right is a '16. The '13 had developed a little anise, which I dont like. Had I known in 2009 what I know now I would've never cellared any beer longer than 2 or 3 years. I’ve yet to find something that improved past that point. 

20210102_174700.jpg

Would be easy to test that theory at my house! When I mostly quit drinking beer a few years ago (maybe 5? Maybe more? My how time flies!) I didn’t really plan it very well and have lots of bottles still in the basement. I am sure many are long past their peak but perhaps some of the higher ABV ones are still decent to drink!

Championship game time = beer time. I looked in the beer fridge to find some summer to go along with the Miami scenario. Came up with this.

Hey @flahute, @geclbxf

O H 

20210111_192216.jpg

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Championship game time = beer time. I looked in the beer fridge to find some summer to go along with the Miami scenario. Came up with this.

Hey @flahute, @geclbxf

O H 

20210111_192216.jpg

Yes! After that Browns win last night I'm already a bit crusty. If the Buckeyes win I may have to take tomorrow off!

18 hours ago, flahute said:

Yes! After that Browns win last night I'm already a bit crusty. If the Buckeyes win I may have to take tomorrow off!

I - O  = even in defeat.

Just got back from Florida.   Crazy experience in an almost empty stadium.   Loved the experience, but hated the outcome.   Congrats to the 'Tide, they are clearly one of the best offenses of all time.   No one will cover 6 at the next level either.

Bucks will be back next year after a reload, starting at QB.   Replacing Justin Fields is not easy, but they will actually get better at most position groups with a Spring to work and the incoming top 5 class.

To tie back to Bourbon, the Hard Rock stadium bar actually had "different things " from the normal stadium Jim and Jack - like WP 10 and 12 as an example.   

• I like it 2

IMG_0950.thumb.JPG.528e8885f9d7c05c1cab24677eea14a5.JPGCenter of the Universe, Ashland, Virginia, makes some great standard beers and some one-off and seasonal beers.  I recently picked up their Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout (details below) released December 2020.

COTU was started and is owned by two brothers – Phil who is a former “rocket scientist” who gave up space exploration for more earthly pursuits, and Chris who is a former MLB pitcher whom I actually got to see pitch when he was with the Orioles.  I first had their beer when we stopped for lunch at a shopping center “pub” near the brewery that turned out to be great food and featured their beer.  I knew nothing about their beers at the time but told the server I loved it and wondered where I could get it.  The brothers were sitting at the bar having their own lunch while waiting for their beer to ferment some more and heard me.  That was back in Spring 2012 shortly after they opened their brewery.  Phil, the gregarious one, took me to the brewery and then through their entire product line, and I’ve been drinking it whenever I see it in Virginia.

This particular beer is pronounced, “The HAY-suss”.  I cut and pasted their description because it is spot on.  Quoting:

The Jesus

• Style: Mexican Hot Chocolate Imperial Stout

• SRM: 45

• ABV: 11.5%

• IBU: 32

Bold, rich, and unabashedly expressive, our spicy Imperial Stout is no saint. Flavors of cayenne peppers, cinnamon, and a dash of vanilla blend to create a divine Mexican hot chocolate libation perfect for polishing balls and talking smack before the semis. This is no bush league, psych-out brew, because nobody………. with The Jesus!

End quote.

• I like it 1

Some KBS Maple Mackinac Fudge and a couple pieces of raspberry chocolate for dessert while watching the first home game of the year.  Let's go Blues!!

20210118_190553.jpg

Bought this this morning while grocery shopping. Moeller and Winans are both local legends. Was going to wait until game time, but what the heck!

20210124_125634.jpg

Edited by Phil T

This one is hugely grapefruit.   Adds tropical fruit as it warms.  But not too sweet!  Mosaic is in there but it isn't too oniony.  Very good beer.  Could drink more if I had it but I'm gonna have to switch over to Finback.

IMG_6680.thumb.jpg.f86610524de7514269719d61b37ba4d6.jpg

No. 23.  This has an amazing mouthfeel.  Silky and smooth.  Slick.  Oats?   The 9.2 alcohol is completely disguised.  Probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd known it was a double but while it's rich, it isn't too heavy.  Sweeter than the Grimm but tends to the dank side of fruity.  Pineapple.  Nice DIPA.  Good for a cold winter night.

IMG_6703.thumb.jpg.fe965c0bc06d3ca72e1b3f86f86025b9.jpg

14 minutes ago, scratchline said:

No. 23.  This has an amazing mouthfeel.  Silky and smooth.  Slick.  Oats?   The 9.2 alcohol is completely disguised.  Probably wouldn't have bought it if I'd known it was a double but while it's rich, it isn't too heavy.  Sweeter than the Grimm but tends to the dank side of fruity.  Pineapple.  Nice DIPA.  Good for a cold winter night.

IMG_6703.thumb.jpg.fe965c0bc06d3ca72e1b3f86f86025b9.jpg

My keto diet is very jealous of your beers today!

33 minutes ago, flahute said:

My keto diet is very jealous of your beers today!

Keep with it!  I wish I had the discipline.

The fittest guy I know is keto.  He teaches movement to young actors.  He leads a warm-up that starts at 20 minutes and, over the course of ten days/two weeks, adds exercises to double the length of time.  I LOVE watching the teenagers trying to keep up with him.  

This beer was bottled exactly a year ago and I almost passed on it.  But I'd thrown a Jack's Abby dunkel into some chili I was making last night, and the swig I took from the can started me craving one.  Even after a year, it is delicious!  Perfect for a cold winter's night.  Ayinger is an amazing brewery.

IMG_6748.thumb.jpg.2bc05d1824d7bcba676df0c41e037517.jpg

• I like it 2

I turned this one into a Picon Biere.  I'm not sure it improved what was a really nice lager but it definitely brought back memories of summers that feel like they'll never come back again!

IMG_6775.thumb.jpg.fa6c8750fc088c9ab96b27ce5921f926.jpg

I've never had this beer and haven't had a lot in the style, but OMG, this is good.  If it weren't so expensive, I could drink it all the time.  I think it may be a bottle from 2019 and if so, time hasn't hurt it at all.  Green banana.  Wonderful mouthfeel.  I'll be looking out for more dubbels.  Those monks are on to something!

That's six beers I've posted in a row.  For Chrissake, someone unhand that wonderful bourbon and have a fuckin' beer!

IMG_6790.thumb.jpg.117b4d89bcdf12d4fda6146495593ef0.jpg

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 2

Had this guy last night. Very vanilla forward.  Pretty creamy despite the relatively high ABV.  Had a strong bitter finish that stood out a bit and detracted from the overall blend of all the other notes.

20210205_195353.jpg

I need something to brighten a chilly, damp, and dreary looking day, so Red Hare SPF 50/50 Tangerine India Pale Radler it is.  Brings back memories of the Ballpark on a hot Summer day, as this is one of my go-tos at the game.  That, and the daffodils popping up and ready to open are doing the trick, right now!  

71009B09-B783-4B94-B01C-18607679AEDE.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

Just got back from a quick work trip to the big island and while there I put a temporary pause on the low carb diet so I could enjoy one of my favorite IPAs on draft. 
(not my photo - I didn’t think to get one at the time)

09AB7BA5-E73D-46F9-9CF4-F71AD4D296E8.jpeg

None!! I recently purchased some Braxton Graeters and Madtree Rubus Cacao to enjoy during tonight's game. However,  my beer fridge crapped out a couple days ago. I wasn't able to replace it until late last night. Just got it into the basement. Doubtful they will be cold by game time. 

Sam Adams Wicked Easy

4.7 ABV

12 IBU

Great lighter beer, very crushable

Got some different Lagunitas with higher ABV in reserve

never thought I’d say it, but I’m rooting for Brady!

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, scratchline said:

Easing into this thing.  Grimm does good sours.

IMG_6814.thumb.jpg.18f31f8525a09618370272c39ffef245.jpg

I have tried and tried, but just can’t get in to sours.  And, I really don’t have a sweet tooth.  I like a lot of sour, pungent, and non mainline types of foods, too.  Still looking for one that agrees with me.

Its a beautiful afternoon here, if cool, so soaking up some Sun with a Mikerphone Check 1.2.  Silkiest of silky mouthfeel.  Evergreen notes with light grapefruit and microbursts of orange citrus.  

9DE10205-BDF9-47BF-87D7-5913EAECAE55.jpeg

Back in NYC doing the NYC beer.  I know I had this over a year ago but I don't remember the finish being as grapefruit bitter as it is here.  It has that wonderful Other Half mouthfeel (oats?) and the bitterness balances things out.  A very solid AIPA.   New England-ish but lights out for the frontier.

IMG_6835.thumb.jpg.c277e053a7f0ff1509cb6593c23c0360.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.