What beer are you drinking 2021?

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wow, this is a tremendous beer!  I have never had a sour beer with a body as rich and creamy as this.  Absolutely outstanding and my first beer from Great Notion.  I have a can of their Double Berry Shake that I'll follow this with, but they're setting a very high bar with this one.  

IMG_7140.thumb.jpg.9343a1adfdc06790f25aee7e2b778d7f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I did find the new Louisville made Falls City Beer, in the retro red and white label can.  Funny thing, the first two occasions - didn't care too much for it.  On one occasion it was after Rye.  The next occasion it was after Bourbon.

So for the third time, I tried this beer in the middle of the day, all by itself.

I'm like, OK now I'm getting it.  This is made by craft beer people.  They're putting out something along the lines of a traditional European Pilsner.  I found it quite good, a rather pleasant surprise.  

I guess it goes to show, order matters, and everything doesn't go with everything else.

Tried this Founder's Bottle Shop Nemesis tonight. Missed the 75 IBU marking. Whew it's got hops on the finish. Weird because its malty and smooth going in but bitter going out. Almost no hops aroma. I would have really liked this with the hops dialed back.

20210508_183914.jpg

• I like it 1

Powered thru the Nemesis and moved on to some 20 KBS with some PMP/SB Blend on tap. 

20210508_193027.jpg

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, beasled said:

Just finished some 'yard work' as you chaps call it... cheers! 

Nice.  But curious what do you call it?  

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

I don't think they call it anything.  They pull this cord and a little bell rings.  The servants go out and do it.

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

You guys have yards, we have gardens, so (when the butler isn't doing it) we refer to it all as 'gardening'. 

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, beasled said:

You guys have yards, we have gardens, so (when the butler isn't doing it) we refer to it all as 'gardening'. 

😀

• I like it 1

You know I'm joking about Downton Abbey.😉

I actually am fascinated with U.S. versus British word choices.  I check BBC news every day too.

Funny thing - I learned yard versus garden by watching Peppa Pig cartoons with my son.

In Britain, all the property surrounding the residence is the garden.

In the U.S., that's the yard.  If some portion is for the cultivation of vegetables or flowers, that's the garden.

35 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I actually am fascinated with U.S. versus British word choices.  I check BBC news every day too.

Funny thing - I learned yard versus garden by watching Peppa Pig cartoons with my son.

In the U.S., that's the yard.  If some portion is for the cultivation of vegetables or flowers, that's the garden.

When I started my current job 14 years ago a guy from London was also starting the same day. As the new guys we became fast friends and would go out for a coffee every day. Many a time I had to ask him for clarification on what he meant with certain words! He eventually sent me a link to a website that translated everything. We both still work there.

• I like it 2

OK, I promise no more thread drift.

The dialect spoken in parts of KY and TN is actually Elizabethan English.

It turns out, back in our colonial times, the English Civil War broke out.

These English Catholics, unsure of their position in the colonies, set out for the hills out West.

For a long time, few people came or went.  So the language stayed virtually unchanged from Shakespeare. 🤔

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, PaulO said:

I got the joke, don't worry :D

Is the correct term actually 'grounds' I wonder. Within the grounds of a larger property like Downton you would have gardens. Groundskeeper would look after the property including the gardens, but gardeners would only attend to the garden I assume. 

Is mowing the lawn yard work, groundskeeping or gardening? I shall ponder that over a beer later. 

2 hours ago, beasled said:

I got the joke, don't worry :D

Is the correct term actually 'grounds' I wonder. Within the grounds of a larger property like Downton you would have gardens. Groundskeeper would look after the property including the gardens, but gardeners would only attend to the garden I assume. 

Is mowing the lawn yard work, groundskeeping or gardening? I shall ponder that over a beer later. 

Uh, I couldn’t help but overhear the discussion on the geographic and cultural differences in the common practices of outside property maintenance. It’s commonly acknowledged among present day Southern American land owners that mowing the grass is not considered yard work, grounds keeping, or gardening.  It’s simply mowing the lawn and thus may be included as a subset of groundskeeping or yard work, though.  To be considered yard work or groundskeeping, other tools or acts such as trimming, edging, raking, pulling, blowing sweeping, digging, bagging, etc., must also be performed.  Technically, this may involve working in the garden as well, thus gardening may also be considered a subset of yard work, particularly during either the early planting or late turning under of the garden.  Working in the garden during the growing season, however, is in fact considered gardening and usually involves the use of a hand trowel, hand rake, light garden gloves, a watering can, orange Home Depot 5 gallon bucket, a kneel pad, and wide brimmed hat.  The gardener typically has an assistant ready to help him or her get up off their knees which will lock down after prolonged times spent in the “gardeners position”.  Interestingly, the group that takes care of the playing field in American baseball is called the “Grounds Crew” and the manager of the crew is called the “Head Groundskeeper”.  This , along with early baseball fields in the US being referred to as Grounds (such as the “Polo Grounds”) in New York City most likely dates back to the British understanding and usage of the term in landscaping, which carried over into the 18th and 19th century American lexicon.  Which brings me to another interesting and little known fact...

...Cliff Clavin’s favorite beer is Narragansett... 🤓

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 3

39 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Uh, I couldn’t help but overhear the discussion on the geographic and cultural differences in the common practices of outside property maintenance. It’s commonly acknowledged among present day Southern American land owners that mowing the grass is not considered yard work, grounds keeping, or gardening.  It’s simply mowing the lawn and thus may be included as a subset of groundskeeping or yard work, though.  To be considered yard work or groundskeeping, other tools or acts such as trimming, edging, raking, pulling, blowing sweeping, digging, bagging, etc., must also be performed.  Technically, this may involve working in the garden as well, thus gardening may also be considered a subset of yard work, particularly during either the early planting or late turning under of the garden.  Working in the garden during the growing season, however, is in fact considered gardening and usually involves the use of a hand trowel, hand rake, light garden gloves, a watering can, orange Home Depot 5 gallon bucket, a kneel pad, and wide brimmed hat.  The gardener typically has an assistant ready to help him or her get up off their knees which will lock down after prolonged times spent in the “gardeners position”.  Interestingly, the group that takes care of the playing field in American baseball is called the “Grounds Crew” and the manager of the crew is called the “Head Groundskeeper”.  This , along with early baseball fields in the US being referred to as Grounds (such as the “Polo Grounds”) in New York City most likely dates back to the British understanding and usage of the term in landscaping, which carried over into the 18th and 19th century American lexicon.  Which brings me to another interesting and little known fact...

...Cliff Clavin’s favorite beer is Narragansett... 🤓

haha you had me in the first half, Joe. 

Cheers! 

2 hours ago, beasled said:

haha you had me in the first half, Joe. 

Cheers! 

Heehee!  Nice on the Cheers!  😁

I am currently doing no gardening, mowing, yardwork, or landscaping...but you can see some of the rock I had to move in the background. It's a beer and grill afternoon. Started with a Founder's Panther Cub. Was tasty but a bit too subtle on any of the barrel, maple, or vanilla notes. A nice porter though. Moved on to some 2018 BCBS Vanilla. Now THAT has some vanilla. Grilling some country style ribs, corn on the cob, and a rolled pork roast.

20210514_161708.jpg

20210514_165448.jpg

20210514_172913.jpg

A cold and refreshing Molsen Canadian after a bit of hedge trimming.  

Joe, is that a sub-set of yard work or gardening?  Any help is appreciated, as I’m now more than a bit confused by it all...🧐

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

Joe, is that a sub-set of yard work or gardening?  Any help is appreciated, as I’m now more than a bit confused by it all...🧐

Well Paddy, it was the ancient Babylonian’s after the construction of the iconic “Hanging Gardens of Babylon”that first began the act...(we might consider it an “art”), of “trimming” hedges that were in fact, part of the “garden”.  Therefore, historically speaking, hedge trimming could be considered “gardening”.  This belief was furthered with the meticulous shrub work of Louis XIV’s “Gardens of Versailles”.  However, modern horticulturists have indeed categorized this as part of the yard work family since the perfection of the process utilizing electric hedge trimming implements from Black & Decker, as well as additional pick up, raking, and bagging of the fallen clippings. There you have it.  I believe I’ll complement your beer trip to Canada with a journey South of the border... 🤪

CHEERS!

9512271F-94CB-476D-9D9B-93F38AF75C95.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

Hedge trimming is "brush clearing".  It is a TWO beer job while yard work and gardening merit only one.  THREE if you use hand clippers instead of a powered shearing thing. 

Devils Backbone Vienna Lager.  We are having roulades tonight following a fifty year old German cookbook recipe.  Roulades are beef round pounded flat, cut in strips, and wrapped around spears of knockwurst which are then cooked a lot with the juice being made into a thick gravy.  Persons who are offended by off-color jokes please skip the next entry .

We called them "donkey dorks" in college.  Mess hall fixed them several times a year.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
remoulade is a sauce, roulades are what we eating.
  • I like it 1

I planted 3 lavender plants today and laid down 6 bags of mulch around them and the 20 that I planted two weeks ago.

I did take a quick break in the middle to watch the Preakness.

I'm now rewarding myself with an IPA after a warm day of gardening.

I spent yesterday and today cutting grass.  Last year, at the end of the season, I got what has turned out to be the best push mover I've ever owned.  It's a Green Works electric - runs on Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries (I have several).  

I'm going to enjoy some Boatswain Double IPA.

Beer snobs look down on the beers Trader Joe's has contract brewed.  I don't.  I think most are great.  These products are made in modern industrial breweries by professional people.  I go by taste.  I don't need some hipster doofus back story.

• 2 weeks later...

According to my wife, we bought our TV in 2006 and this afternoon (thanks to the generosity of a friend) we replaced it with a much larger model.   My fifteen-years-older eyes are relieved and dazzled.  And to mark the occasion I cracked my last can of this.  A great label and a great beer.  And a lot of great screen time in my future!  Sports and subtitles have never looked so good!

IMG_7316.thumb.jpg.0dfb6ee7303a10cb15fd305f8831abd6.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.