What Bourbon Are You Drinking? 2021:First Quarter.

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My local friends probably aren’t drinking again yet, but I’m a professional...

back to work boys!

😎

The red hots candy is prevalent in this bottle and hitting the spot tonight.

57F2C600-67A6-4794-8A9D-D49F6674AC31.jpeg

• I like it 6

Ahh, the joys of sales management. Five hours yesterday and 10 more today polishing someone else's turd of an RFP response. For the team. Yay. 😐

The proposal is for a Canadian affiliate of a US brand, so a strong pour of Little Book 2 to unwind seems like a fitting reward.

PXL_20210302_005409149.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.4d59603937f0b6e845b4574933f366ab.jpg

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Typical Monday at work. 🤯 Got home from work, did a couple of chores, then settled in with a couple of pours of my 2021 Weller Blend. ^_^ 

FWIW, my 2021 Weller Blend is equal parts OWA, Weller SR, and Weller 12,   and tips the scales at approximately 95 .67°, which is basically the same as Weller CYPB. I have handles of OWA, Weller 12 and Weller SR at my beck and call. 😙 Should I make up three family sized bottles of my 2021 Weller Blend now, or should I wait a while? 🤔 I’ve been mentioning retirement a lot lately. If all goes well, my tentative retirement date will be sometime around the first part of August or September. “Lord willing, and the creek don’t rise.” 🤞

Biba! Joe

Hey Joe-

I'm going to try some weller blending here soon, and have a question. I was going to start with equal parts OWA and W12. Do you feel the WSR would add to this blend, or is it included for economic's sake? I absolutely love the W12 and OWA, but less appreciate the WSR, which I do "like". Thanks for your thoughts.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, 0895 said:

back to work boys!

😎

Can't keep a good man down for long!   🤪

I was showing the Makers 101 a lot of love over the weekend.  I finished the bottle Saturday night.  I've got to say that @flahute is right, at 101 if just tastes....better.  I hope this doesn't stay "limited" and becomes a regular item.  If so, it will replace the CS on everyday bar.

• I like it 3

12 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I was showing the Makers 101 a lot of love over the weekend.  I finished the bottle Saturday night.  I've got to say that @flahute is right, at 101 if just tastes....better.  I hope this doesn't stay "limited" and becomes a regular item.  If so, it will replace the CS on everyday bar.

I hear you Rich, and agree.👍 I recently bought a MM CS and have done a SBS with the MM 101. Both are fine bourbons, but the MM 101 was the winner. I won't be trying to just get rid of the CS, but I have a feeling I will be blending it with regular MM in the near future. :huh: What can I say?  

FWIW, my CS is Batch 20-04, and is 109°. Of course MM is 90°. A blend of the two wold be 99.5°. Close enough? Works for me. :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

16 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I hear you Rich, and agree.👍 I recently bought a MM CS and have done a SBS with the MM 101. Both are fine bourbons, but the MM 101 was the winner. I won't be trying to just get rid of the CS, but I have a feeling I will be blending it with regular MM in the near future. :huh: What can I say?  

FWIW, my CS is Batch 20-04, and is 109°. Of course MM is 90°. A blend of the two wold be 99.5°. Close enough? Works for me. :lol:

Biba! Joe

You?  Blend? I never would've guessed. :)

• I like it 2

22 minutes ago, BigRich said:

You?  Blend? I never would've guessed. :)

If anything, I am predictable. 😉 I try to be consistent too, but that could be debatable. 🤔

Biba! Joe

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

OK! Now I know it's not just me.

My current understanding is that it will be a yearly thing in the fall but it seems to be produced in great enough quantity that it sticks around for a while. It's still available here. And that reminds me that I need to stash a few more away.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, 0895 said:

back to work boys!

😎

You are a better man than me.  I'm not ready to jump back on that horse just quite yet.

• I like it 2

Starting the evening with Remus Reserve Series IV, again.🤔

• I like it 1

On 3/1/2021 at 6:02 PM, Radioyada said:

Garrison Brothers cask strength single barrel store pick.   I know Garrison does not get much love, but this is a nice pour.   It drinks below it’s 123.4 proof and has a nice sweetness to it.   I would love to see what this would be like at 7 years or older, but even at 5 years it tastes great to me. 

My local TW store pick of Garrison’s clocks in at 120.7 and I thoroughly enjoy it.      Is it over-priced, sure, but I could buy it off the shelf without hunting and it’s good bourbon.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, BigRich said:

I was showing the Makers 101 a lot of love over the weekend.  I finished the bottle Saturday night.  I've got to say that @flahute is right, at 101 if just tastes....better. 

I guess I'm in the minority here but I prefer the Cask Strength.  I've got a bottle of each open right now and, while the 101 is very good, to me the CS is just deeper, richer and creamier.  FWIW, 20-01 is the batch I have open.  At $45/liter bottle it's a great value. 

Bought a KC12, it made best-of's last yr, & drink lotsa KC. But have been disappointed. Most KCSB are better. So i poured the last 3-4 oz of a KCSB 15 pik into the half-full bottle. Suddenly it had the right amount of Beam sweet to all that oak.

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, Clueby said:

You are a better man than me.  I'm not ready to jump back on that horse just quite yet.

Ha ha - I made my re-entry last night with a wee dram of old-style bottle Rare Breed 116.8pf.  Now where's that "Hazmat" GTS???   🤪

• I like it 2

On 3/1/2021 at 11:12 PM, steven s said:

Hey Joe-

I'm going to try some weller blending here soon, and have a question. I was going to start with equal parts OWA and W12. Do you feel the WSR would add to this blend, or is it included for economic's sake? I absolutely love the W12 and OWA, but less appreciate the WSR, which I do "like". Thanks for your thoughts.

I add WSR for a number of reasons. I personally like WSR. It smoothes out the blend a little to me. And yes, economics/availability is another factor. OWA has been extremely hard to find around my area for a while. Pretty much the same with Weller 12. In  replenishing my Blend over the last few years, I’ve gone through most of the OWA in my bunker. My 2018 Blend is: 3 parts OWA, 1 part WSR, 1 part Weller 12. My 2021 Blend is equal parts of each. Have fun and enjoy. 😁

Biba! Joe

On 2/27/2021 at 10:05 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Have you ever had the 2008?    I have a bottle stashed away.    I actually bought it because it was on sale and I got one of those customized labels that HH occasionally offers.

Should I even bother to open it?    

ewsb.jpg

Oh wow, tough one.  I like most here are for opening bottles but this seems to be a special case as this says Redskins name now had some historical value to it.  If it said WFT, I’d say open it.

As far as EWSB in general I also miss the older bottlings that use to 10 years+.  I went through some 2003 and 2004 barrels that where better than the current ones.  Others here had bottles with barrels from the 80s or 90s they enjoyed.  EWSB was my first bourbon bottle ever purchased with the intention of drinking straight and opened my eyes to bourbon and barrel aged spirits.  

All that said I still enjoy the current bottles at 8 years or so.  This is still a respectable age and is readily available in my market and under $30 a bottle.  If others leave this on the shelf I have no problem with that, more for me.

• I like it 1

I finally found a botttle of the RB rye.  $58+ tax was more than I wanted to spend, feel like this should be a $40ish bottle.  That being said very happy with the choice.  I’m a Turkey rye whore and the barrel strength really brings out a lot of rye spice especially for a barely legal rye.  Will be on the lookout for backups.  I enjoyed this much more than the RB bourbon and possibly more than RR SiB rye, not the case with the bourbon.

6409BC47-0464-4BAC-ADC2-0D586AEF274A.jpeg

• I like it 2

I keep posting in last year’s thread.🥴

OGD 114 this evening.

I'm doing a side by side comparison tonight which I think is interesting.   In glass #1 - good ol' Woodford Reserve.  In glass #2,  Woodford Reserve Very Fine Rare, which is 100% pot still classic OF/WR mash bill aged from between 11 and 17 years.   Otherwise, same proof, same mashbill.   (I have no idea how much current WR includes column-distilled juice from Shively.)  

They are, perhaps not surprisingly, more similar than different.  The addition of all that aging lends a certain grainy-ness of texture (I don't mean grain-forward flavor) than regular OF.   The nose of the Very Fine Rare is more nuanced and lacks the faint alcohol scent of the regular OF.   The balance of both pours is superb,  with the additional aging of the Very Fine Rare showing itself in additional deepness and roundness in the nigh-perfect OF/WR mashibill.

As good as the Very Fine Rare is,  what this exercise has done for me is better appreciate just how good regular WR is -  at this proof point, these bourbons are both rock stars.  

• I like it 4

EC Small Batch Single Barrel.  First time trying and this is delicious. 
2B891A91-AFAE-4F15-A964-0A46E922A528.thumb.jpeg.c5fa7e611a74628008a2fc06f4c8b89a.jpeg

Edited by Kjbarth
  • I like it 2

I'm finally getting back on the horse following a few days off after a rowdy Saturday night. 

Word is today is Bottled in Bond day. The obvious pour would be something branded with EHT. I decided to be a bit contrarian and go with a little JTS Brown BIB

20210303_203126.jpg

• I like it 3

6 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I'm finally getting back on the horse following a few days off after a rowdy Saturday night. 

Word is today is Bottled in Bond day. The obvious pour would be something branded with EHT. I decided to be a bit contrarian and go with a little JTS Brown BIB

20210303_203126.jpg

Today is Bottled in Bond day?!?!  I must join in on this!  😁

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.