Bulleit Blender’s Select

CUfan99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Aside from some aged FR stocks that Bulleit might still have on hand, I’m not sure FR is in the Bulleit picture anymore. A few years ago, FR didn’t renew their contract with Bulleit. I’ve heard BF is their main supplier now, but don’t know that for sure. Flahute and others may be able to shed more light on this subject. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Aside from some aged FR stocks that Bulleit might still have on hand, I’m not sure FR is in the Bulleit picture anymore. A few years ago, FR didn’t renew their contract with Bulleit. I’ve heard BF is their main supplier now, but don’t know that for sure. Flahute and others may be able to shed more light on this subject. 

Biba! Joe

Bulleit still has 4R barrels but not as much as they used to. The 4R contract was ended about 5 years ago or so but they still have a lot in the pipeline.

BF is most definitely a supplier along with Barton. They have some Beam as well.

31 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Perhaps "Blender's Select" is a very appropriate name.

The scuttlebut I’ve seen is it’s a blend of 3 recipes out of 10 if that tells you anything. 

12 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

The scuttlebut I’ve seen is it’s a blend of 3 recipes out of 10 if that tells you anything. 

Yeah I had this earlier this year. I’m not normally the biggest fan of FR, but this pour was sublime.

All the spices and fruit flavors you would expect and then some. I wish I would’ve picked up a bottle for myself.

• I like it 1

The other night, I did a blind sbs with this and 4R single barrel select, and while the profile was similar, I preferred this. 

IMG_6924.jpg

• I like it 1

I had been on a 4R kick for a couple months at the beginning of November. I also got a Blender's Select thrown in the mix at that time. I did not get the 4R taste that was expected from it like the past Bulleit 10yr had been. I'll continue with my 4R choices but the Blender's will not be purchased again. Just my humble opinion...

• I like it 1

Bulleit Blender's Select is great stuff, and I came to the same conclusion as steven s when comparing it to the FR Small Batch Select.  I preferred the Bulleit.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

Bulleit Blender's Select is great stuff, and I came to the same conclusion as steven s when comparing it to the FR Small Batch Select.  I preferred the Bulleit.

Wonderful! With Small Batch Select not distributed in SC and no private selects anywhere I'm in desperate need.

4 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Wonderful! With Small Batch Select not distributed in SC and no private selects anywhere I'm in desperate need.

Having a pour tonight in your honor, lol.  This is upper-level stuff, for sure.  Let us know your thoughts when you taste it.

• I like it 1

I bought a bottle right around Christmastime out of curiosity and I'm a Four Roses fan.  It's a good bourbon, I recommend it.  I would personally rank it above the regular 4R small batch, but below 4R single barrels. Since I have so many 4R PS bottles I can't  justify buying another Bulleit, but I'm glad I bought this one.

I'll have to compare the Bulleit to the SmB Select, that's a good idea.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

I bought a bottle right around Christmastime out of curiosity and I'm a Four Roses fan.  It's a good bourbon, I recommend it.  I would personally rank it above the regular 4R small batch, but below 4R single barrels. Since I have so many 4R PS bottles I can't  justify buying another Bulleit, but I'm glad I bought this one.

I'll have to compare the Bulleit to the SmB Select, that's a good idea.

I think I may need to revise my judgement about the Bulleit Blender's Select.  I think it even beats many 4R Single Barrels (standard and PS).  Sipping it tonight.  This is a very nice bourbon.  Very well done.  If you are a fan of high rye bourbons you might want to check this one out for $45ish.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 2

I opened this up last night and spent a little time with the neck pour. The nose was nice, vanilla, brown sugar and apricots, but the 1st sip was a bit disappointing. The mouthfeel was thin and very little flavor to speak of. As I spent more time with it I enjoyed it more and more.

Cons for me:

Not a viscous, dark fruit, rich experience like well aged 4R private selections

front end is sweet but not a lot going on beyond that

thin

Pros:

mid palate and finish get a lot more interesting when the rye spice and sweetness dance

long enjoyable finish which surprised me; very sweet

drinkable; session bourbon ;)

I hope this isn't chauvinistic but I can understand how this blend might align with a woman's taste; thinner, sweeter not a lot of ethanol. Just thinking about my wife's taste so no offence intended. Overall, I'm glad I bought 2 because I like it, like a lot, but it doesn't scratch my 4R itch.

• I like it 1

I went through a bottle of this in the late fall. It reminded me of Noah’s Mill in that it seemed a bit different each time I poured.  

My guess that they both share some commonality in that each has a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

Although I found it enjoyable, I won’t seek this out as I found nothing standing out expressively enough to pursue further.  It’s perfectly serviceable, but I would choose 4RSiB over it, as it is IMO a better (and cheaper) bottle.

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I went through a bottle of this in the late fall. It reminded me of Noah’s Mill in that it seemed a bit different each time I poured.  

My guess that they both share some commonality in that each has a little bit of this and a little bit of that.

Although I found it enjoyable, I won’t seek this out as I found nothing standing out expressively enough to pursue further.  It’s perfectly serviceable, but I would choose 4RSiB over it, as it is IMO a better (and cheaper) bottle.

Agree on the standard 4RSiB Paddy.

1 hour ago, CUfan99 said:

I opened this up last night and spent a little time with the neck pour. The nose was nice, vanilla, brown sugar and apricots, but the 1st sip was a bit disappointing. The mouthfeel was thin and very little flavor to speak of. As I spent more time with it I enjoyed it more and more.

Cons for me:

Not a viscous, dark fruit, rich experience like well aged 4R private selections

front end is sweet but not a lot going on beyond that

thin

Pros:

mid palate and finish get a lot more interesting when the rye spice and sweetness dance

long enjoyable finish which surprised me; very sweet

drinkable; session bourbon ;)

I hope this isn't chauvinistic but I can understand how this blend might align with a woman's taste; thinner, sweeter not a lot of ethanol. Just thinking about my wife's taste so no offence intended. Overall, I'm glad I bought 2 because I like it, like a lot, but it doesn't scratch my 4R itch.

Thanks for the thoughts.  I would put it away, and come back to it in a couple of weeks to see what you think.  It might just not be in your wheelhouse, but it might open up after being open for a bit.  That said, I find your notes pretty accurate even after open for awhile (maybe differing on the "thin" descriptor), so it might just not be your jam.

2 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Agree on the standard 4RSiB Paddy.

Your notes were very good.  I just thought I'd add in as I had the opportunity to go through a whole bottle over a bit of time. 

Each time I did find something a bit different as far as complexities go.  But like you noted, nothing ever really stood out (to me) in the loud and proud department. 

It has character and depth, but in the end left me wanting..., which 4R never does. ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.