New World Whisk(e)y - has anyone tried?

SingleMaltDan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi all, long time lurker/first time poster here.

I just wanted to get some opinions 'new world' whisky. They seem to have been around for a couple of years now but I've yet to try any - does anyone have any experience with them?

Distill Ventures have some interesting articles/videos on them; 

https://www.distillventures.com/new-world-whisky

https://www.distillventures.com/insights-and-trends/the-new-world-of-new-world-whisky

Interested to hear what you guys think...

I had never heard of this term, and the links are vague, but it seems like this is attempt aggregate any whisky that doesn't fall into traditional categories or countries of production? If so, that seems forced and a bit silly. But to answer your question, I've tried a few from Israel, Egypt, India, Wales, etc. I am sure there are many here that have tried a ton more. My experience is that most are fairly unremarkable compared to their "traditional" counterparts. If they count, I can recommend Amrut Fusion from India, and Penderyn from Wales makes mostly solid whisky. 

I clicked on the links.  The first thing that jumped out to me was the photo of the man in front of many small barrels stacked standing upright.

A number of years ago, Chuck Cowdrey posted an article about experiments aging whiskey in small barrels on his blog.

We've also had numerous members here post their experiences sampling craft whiskey from small barrels.

For whatever reason, people try to start a business venture like this.  It's like they didn't do enough research.

• 2 weeks later...

I have whisky from about 10 different countries that I have gathered over recent years. I suppose the "single malt" movement in the US also fits the bill since it is not "typical" of US whiskey. Some Indian whisky's have been pretty noteworthy. India seems to meet the definition but is that "new world"? 

I don't really understand what the links are trying to explain, but I've had quite a few whiskies from outside what were once the usual suspects over what seems like a decade now. I guess 'new world' could refer to completely brand new markets that have yet to welcome press. 

I've had terrific whiskies from the Netherlands, India, Australia etc. 

• 1 month later...

Zillions of gallons/liters getting produced in asian countries which I'd love to try.  Occasionally some of it, other than Japanese, ends up in USA.  I think most of this asian is white unaged, but I'm still antsy to sample.  BUT if you travel to less regulated parts, beware the local sauce could be heavy with methanol.  I've noticed a recent influx of pricey rice distillate, I'll pass.  

• 2 months later...

Did a zoom tasting of Starward's three standard expressions a few days ago.  It was led by the founder who explained the thought process, aging, etc.  It was really well done and dude seems like a really cool guy.  But what about the booze?  I was really impressed with the product.  The Solera was outstanding and is a solera blend dating to their first product through the most recent-ish.  The Tow-fold is an interesting blend of their standard wine finished whiskey blended with a wheat whiskey in a wine barrel.  It's light and easy going and made to mix with tonic though it stands on its own.  For around $30 you can do a lot worse.  The Nova is their standard red wine barrel aged whiskey.  It wasn't flawed but didn't stand out for me like the other two.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.