Cocktail Hour--2021

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Buttermilk Flip.  I'll start a new thread for a new year with a new (to me) cocktail.  

https://tuxedono2.com/buttermilk-flip-cocktail-recipe

I was pleased with my aged egg nog for holiday season 2020 but this gives it a run for the money.  Less sweet than egg nog and with the added appeal of coffee which, let's face it, is where unused egg nog ends up.  Tuxedo No. 2 is a great cocktail resource.  I wouldn't be mixing buttermilk, egg and maple syrup without it.

Happy New Year, all!  It's not off to an auspicious start but maybe it gets better from here.

-Mike

2 hours ago, scratchline said:

Tuxedo No. 2 is a great cocktail resource.

Thank you for sharing this site! I poked around and decided to mix up a Si-güey cocktail. I used CB Great King Street Artist's Blend for the scotch, and will try something a bit smokier next time, but this is nice! 

https://tuxedono2.com/si-guey-cocktail-recipe

• I like it 1

I probably drank more Negronis in 2020 than any other cocktail, so I figure my first contribution to the 2021 cocktail thread should be the same.  Particularly, since blood oranges have returned to the grocery shelves!  😋

CEA04B18-98E0-4E18-B8A9-13B4F9602122.jpeg

• I like it 4

Fellow cocktail lovers - what is a good Calvados for cocktail use? I know nothing about this spirit.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Fellow cocktail lovers - what is a good Calvados for cocktail use? I know nothing about this spirit.

Calvados is apple brandy.  In order to use "Calvados" on the label, one must follow French "appellation controlee" regulations much like anything calling itself "bourbon" and sold in the US of A must follow TTB regs.,  Frankly, I use Lairds BIB apple brandy or even the Lairds 12 YO if I am caught short.  I admit to not knowing much about the French Calvados brands (which I find a tad too sweet) so when I need to buy a new bottle, I go to my favorite purveyor and buy a 750 in the $50 range.  OR, I play it safe and buy a Lairds BIB.

• I like it 1

On 1/16/2021 at 3:01 PM, smokinjoe said:

I probably drank more Negronis in 2020 than any other cocktail, so I figure my first contribution to the 2021 cocktail thread should be the same.  Particularly, since blood oranges have returned to the grocery shelves!  😋

CEA04B18-98E0-4E18-B8A9-13B4F9602122.jpeg

I too drank a lot of Negroni and Negroni variations last year.  First Mezcal Negroni of the year. 

48C5AA55-6EB6-4636-AE0D-FB48B1E9C98E.jpeg

• I like it 1

Sitting out back on a beautiful afternoon with a Pavel Escobar.

BB86C932-4C18-4556-A024-E4558939C311.jpeg

Another from Regan’s, “The Joy of Mixology”:  

“Corpse Reviver No. 2

• 3/4 oz. Gin

• 3/4 oz. Triple Sec

• 3/4 oz. Lillet Blonde

• 3/4 oz. Fresh lemon juice

• 1 dash Absinthe (Since no absinthe, I used Absente)

- Shake & Strain into chilled cocktail glass.  

Regan’s story:  “Based on Craddock’s 1930 recipe, about which he noted, ‘Four of these taken in quick succession will unrevive the corpse again.’ “. 🤣🤣

Of course he means it undos the resuscitation effects from the CR No, 1... 😁. I love this book.  

09210891-34C7-47B2-9590-9A01EB75A865.jpeg

• I like it 1

Naked and Famous. Equal parts aperol, yellow chartreuse, mezcal, and lime juice. 

And Louie Vega on the burner.

407AFA97-760F-458C-9303-2426513886E1.jpeg

19 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Another from Regan’s, “The Joy of Mixology”:  

“Corpse Reviver No. 2

• 3/4 oz. Gin

• 3/4 oz. Triple Sec

• 3/4 oz. Lillet Blonde

• 3/4 oz. Fresh lemon juice

• 1 dash Absinthe (Since no absinthe, I used Absente)

- Shake & Strain into chilled cocktail glass.  

Regan’s story:  “Based on Craddock’s 1930 recipe, about which he noted, ‘Four of these taken in quick succession will unrevive the corpse again.’ “. 🤣🤣

Of course he means it undos the resuscitation effects from the CR No, 1... 😁. I love this book.  

09210891-34C7-47B2-9590-9A01EB75A865.jpeg

Look at you getting all cocktail-y! Maybe Grand Marnier is a bit of a change from what was probably used in the flapper days but hey, its a good effort!

38 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Look at you getting all cocktail-y! Maybe Grand Marnier is a bit of a change from what was probably used in the flapper days but hey, its a good effort!

Why, thank you!  You know us mixologists.  Adaptation and improvisation are at the heart of our craft...It’s why I’ve given my life to the profession, and will always endeavor to persevere in in creating the ultimate cocktail regardless of the challenges that I may encounter along the way...  🤢🤢🤮🤣

Today, it’s the McQueen:

• 1 Oz Speyside Scotch (I used Cragganmore 12)

• 1 Oz Mezcal

• 1/2 Oz Agave Syrup 

• 1 dash Orange Bitters

• 1 dash Chocolate Bitters

• Smidge of Islay Scotch (Laphroaig 10) for class rinse.  

- Stir all ingredients except Islay Scotch in a glass with ice, then strain into Islay Scotch rinsed coupe glass.

The mezcal and scotch combination makes this cocktail both smell and taste like something one might experience in an early 1900’s railroad tycoon’s study/smoking room/parlor.  It tastes “old”.  It is both interesting and enjoyable.  But, I feel I should be wearing a monocle while drinking it.  🤪

1A4CFE78-F4A9-490C-AB25-9D0F19E62952.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 2

22 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Today, it’s the McQueen:

• 1 Oz Speyside Scotch (I used Cragganmore 12)

• 1 Oz Mezcal

• 1/2 Oz Agave Syrup 

• 1 dash Orange Bitters

• 1 dash Chocolate Bitters

• Smidge of Islay Scotch (Laphroaig 10) for class rinse.  

- Stir all ingredients except Islay Scotch in a glass with ice, then strain into Islay Scotch rinsed coupe glass.

The mezcal and scotch combination makes this cocktail both smell and taste like something one might experience in an early 1900’s railroad tycoon’s study/smoking room/parlor.  It tastes “old”.  It is both interesting and enjoyable.  But, I feel I should be wearing a monocle while drinking it.  🤪

1A4CFE78-F4A9-490C-AB25-9D0F19E62952.jpeg

Hmm, maybe an ascot instead of (or with!) the monocle...

• I like it 1

Monte Carlo via Tuxedo 2:

https://tuxedono2.com/monte-carlo-cocktail-recipe

This is a fine cocktail and I'm always happy to mix anything David Embury but I miss the darker flavors of the vermouth.  In fact, I think I'm invariably a little disappointed in Manhattan "variations".  There's a reason that the Manhattan reigns supreme.  The Singapore Sling is the best cocktail for Benedictine.

IMG_6812.thumb.jpg.0b29c1aa51093a4609da7f4c9405e19d.jpg

36 minutes ago, scratchline said:

Monte Carlo via Tuxedo 2:

https://tuxedono2.com/monte-carlo-cocktail-recipe

This is a fine cocktail and I'm always happy to mix anything David Embury but I miss the darker flavors of the vermouth.  In fact, I think I'm invariably a little disappointed in Manhattan "variations".  There's a reason that the Manhattan reigns supreme.  The Singapore Sling is the best cocktail for Benedictine.

IMG_6812.thumb.jpg.0b29c1aa51093a4609da7f4c9405e19d.jpg

I’ve been dying to try your Buttermilk Flip ever since you posted it to start this thread.  It sounded so weird, and I love every ingredient in it (huge buttermilk fan, here), that I had to try it.  So, today was the day.  What a silky and creamy delight!  Can’t say it’s a regular, but I can see it repeating as the mood for this type of cocktail hits.  👍🏻

1891804F-30AB-4B03-A5B9-1240543F3A97.jpeg

• I like it 1

I'd like to try that, too. It reminds me of the wonderful Milk Punch I had at Commander's Palace Saturday brunch, one time.

A really tasty Boulevardier this afternoon.  In addition to the orange peel garnish, I squeezed a few drops of the blood orange in, and it really freshens it up by taking the edge off the Campari and brightening the Vermouth.  

4107A3FA-EEB5-4F69-9AE3-651728502CB9.jpeg

• I like it 1

Sitting outside enjoying the Southern California winter.  I finally got around to attempting the Vieux Carre. Damn good drink. I spent the week collecting the Benedictine, Brandy, and Peychaud. Thanks @flahute

997D5CDA-1199-419D-92D0-9B01800B30BE.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 2/5/2021 at 2:00 PM, scratchline said:

In fact, I think I'm invariably a little disappointed in Manhattan "variations". 

I believe this statement is true. However, I came across the Greenpoint Cocktail. I’m looking for ways to consume this bottle of yellow chartreuse. Lol. This is actually really good! 
2oz Rye, .5oz YC, .5oz sweet vermouth, and dashes of each Angostura and Orange bitters. Lemon twist. 

CAF28C16-F7B5-4865-8391-2D071F0CF0EB.jpeg

I'm drinking to the end of my first week (Friday off but on again Saturday) of onsite work in over a year.  It would be hard to overstate how good this tastes or how good it feels to be back in a room with nine other people.  We're all masked and distanced but still sharing a physical reality.  The play we're looking at begins with an epigraph from Stanley Kunitz that seems especially apt:

In a murderous time

The heart breaks and breaks

And lives by breaking.

I wish I could mix a Manhattan for each and every member of SB, known and unknown.  I would gladly deplete my stock of bourbon to do that.  (Well, maybe not the William Larue Weller.)  I genuinely believe that the masks have to come off soon or what we have lost will never be recovered.  Hang tough!

IMG_6830.thumb.jpg.1a099055638c6115e363f42c7ac49fb1.jpg

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 3

I rarely drink cocktails,  but I'm going through the bunker, to whittle down the almost empties. There was exactly 2 oz left in this bottle and I was in the mood for an Old-fashioned. Muddled a sugar cube with Fee Brothers Aztec Chocolate bitters, splash of water, a bar spoon of Luxardo cherry juice and a twist.

This peated rye works well in the drink. I wish that I had known that, before I killed the bottle 🤔

20210212_214856.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.