Cocktail Hour--2021

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I ain’t going to complain about the dark, dank, dreary, and chilly weather we’re having here in Georgia, as I know we are quite lucky compared to most areas right now.  But, a Black Manhattan is warming things up nicely.  

0F91EB86-35B5-4A79-92AA-0D6F56861A50.jpeg

• I like it 4

A couple years ago I came across this article "Drink like a bartender at Christmas".

https://www.thedailybeast.com/drink-like-a-bartender-on-christmas

For whatever reason I kept forgetting to do what the article said. 

My brother-in-law was visiting this weekend and we got very good Italian food as take out one night so I decided to break out some Amaro after dinner.

Remembering this article I decided to try the suggestion: 1 part Amaro to 1 part 100 proof bourbon.

I chose Averna and Knob Creek 9yr. Holy crap this is good. So simple and easy.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, flahute said:

A couple years ago I came across this article "Drink like a bartender at Christmas".

My brother-in-law was visiting this weekend and we got very good Italian food as take out one night so I decided to break out some Amaro after dinner.

Remembering this article I decided to try the suggestion: 1 part Amaro to 1 part 100 proof bourbon.

You are well on your way to a classic "Black Manhattan" that Joe has mastered above!

2 oz Bourbon (or rye which is my preference)
1 oz Averna
1 ds Bitters, Angostura (but you can play around with different bitters like cardamom bitters)
1 Maraschino cherry (as garnish)

Stir, strain, straight up, cocktail glass, garnish.

Edited by tanstaafl2

I had all the ingredients so I decided to go for a complicated one, the Erin, courtesy of Toby Cecchini.  Maybe not complicated but a lot of different stuff.   This one is stiff and complex and not for the faint-of-heart.   If we're gendering things, a man's drink...that will also appeal to that special kind of little old lady so...gender fluid, I guess?  

2 oz rye

1/2 oz Amer Picon

1/2 oz Suze

1/2 oz sweet vermouth

5 dashes (1/2 tsp) Allspice Dram

Stir on ice.  Orange peel and lemon peel garnish.

IMG_6841.thumb.jpg.ffa58501ea14bcf8a1955ffc96fcb0e0.jpg

Edited by scratchline

19 hours ago, flahute said:

A 50/50 cocktail with Amaro Nonino (which has a nifty orange peel vibe) and OGD114 is killer. 

• I like it 1

59 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

A 50/50 cocktail with Amaro Nonino (which has a nifty orange peel vibe) and OGD114 is killer. 

Hoooooo boy, I have both of those open right now so that it next.

11 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

You are well on your way to a classic "Black Manhattan" that Joe has mastered above!

2 oz Bourbon (or rye which is my preference)
1 oz Averna
1 ds Bitters, Angostura (but you can play around with different bitters like cardamom bitters)
1 Maraschino cherry (as garnish)

Stir, strain, straight up, cocktail glass, garnish.

Thank you for the reminder! It's been a few years since I last tried one of these.

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Just tried it. Superb sir, superb.

• I like it 1

I was hungry, so decided on a Bloody Mary.  🤣 Corn whiskey and bacon make this rock.  I don’t have a home concoction for the base tomatoe juice part that I’m comfortable with replicating consistently, so I start with Zing Zang and toss in other stuff to fit my mood.  Though, ZZ is good on its own.  The corn whiskey and the grease from the bacon really work to give this more body and flavor.  😋

C71BE8D2-D883-4B4C-993E-E84986A2E0A3.jpeg

66E85045-3390-4366-90AA-D2E4A8B5267D.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

That’s a side of bacon! I could go for that this Sunday morning. I remember when celery was the default. Now, it’s bacon, green beans, or shrimp.

2 hours ago, MM818 said:

That’s a side of bacon! I could go for that this Sunday morning. I remember when celery was the default. Now, it’s bacon, green beans, or shrimp.

Ha! That’s why I’ve renamed it the “Manhandler”!

How do you handle a hungry Maaaaaan!  The maaanhandler!!!!”  🤣

On 2/14/2021 at 5:43 PM, smokinjoe said:

I ain’t going to complain about the dark, dank, dreary, and chilly weather we’re having here in Georgia, as I know we are quite lucky compared to most areas right now.  But, a Black Manhattan is warming things up nicely.  

0F91EB86-35B5-4A79-92AA-0D6F56861A50.jpeg

What makes it a "Black" Manhattan?  The Amaro?    Have you ever had "Amaro Montengro"   Most people think it's Godawful, but I like it.    Is the "Siciliano" similiar?

Edited by Skinsfan1311

On 2/20/2021 at 1:46 PM, smokinjoe said:

I was hungry, so decided on a Bloody Mary.  🤣 Corn whiskey and bacon make this rock.  I don’t have a home concoction for the base tomatoe juice part that I’m comfortable with replicating consistently, so I start with Zing Zang and toss in other stuff to fit my mood.  Though, ZZ is good on its own.  The corn whiskey and the grease from the bacon really work to give this more body and flavor.  😋

C71BE8D2-D883-4B4C-993E-E84986A2E0A3.jpeg

66E85045-3390-4366-90AA-D2E4A8B5267D.jpeg

That looks fantastic.     None of my whiskey drinking friends like Mellow Corn.  They laugh at me for drinking it.  I love the stuff.  It scratches that "oily-corn goodness" itch, that occasionally rises.   It's a staple in the freezer.    That being said, with the exception of strong ginger ale, I've never mixed it.   We love Bloody's, so I'll have to give it a try.    Thanks for sharing!

14 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

What makes it a "Black" Manhattan?  The Amaro?    Have you ever had "Amaro Montengro"   Most people think it's Godawful, but I like it.    Is the "Siciliano" similiar?

I’m assuming it’s the Averna Amaro, which is very dark.  The cocktail specifies Averna.  I’ve not tried the Montenegro...as far as I know!!  🤪

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

That looks fantastic.     None of my whiskey drinking friends like Mellow Corn.  They laugh at me for drinking it.  I love the stuff.  It scratches that "oily-corn goodness" itch, that occasionally rises.   It's a staple in the freezer.    That being said, with the exception of strong ginger ale, I've never mixed it.   We love Bloody's, so I'll have to give it a try.    Thanks for sharing!

I bet you like it!  The thick oiliness and actual flavor components of it (as opposed to simple vodka) really take it to another level.  That and the greasy bacon...  😋

21 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I bet you like it!  The thick oiliness and actual flavor components of it (as opposed to simple vodka) really take it to another level.  That and the greasy bacon...  😋

You had me at greasy bacon........

• I like it 1

It's the birthday of Luis Buñuel, the great cinéaste.  There's no option but the gin martini.  I opted for the DeGroff version with 3 1/2 oz of dry gin and 1/2 oz of Martini Riserva Ambrato vermouth.  Here's a passage on the martini from Buñuel's autobiography, My Last Sigh.

IMG_6868.thumb.jpeg.ce16cf8dc4b334b00cbd1de9fb546313.jpeg

IMG_6866.thumb.jpg.32aa15239423b710a0f4703ad20b759f.jpg

• I like it 3

20 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I’m assuming it’s the Averna Amaro, which is very dark.  The cocktail specifies Averna.  I’ve not tried the Montenegro...as far as I know!!  🤪

Yes, it is the use of Averna which as noted is quite dark and rich in flavor. It has a solid citrus/orange character. It also makes a lovely shot at the end of the night! Averna is the same thing as Amaro Siciliano.

For me the Montenegro is a bit sweeter with more of a burnt orange character than Averna blended into its full herbal character. 

• I like it 3

On 2/23/2021 at 8:36 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes, it is the use of Averna which as noted is quite dark and rich in flavor. It has a solid citrus/orange character. It also makes a lovely shot at the end of the night! Averna is the same thing as Amaro Siciliano.

For me the Montenegro is a bit sweeter with more of a burnt orange character than Averna blended into its full herbal character. 

I'm amazed that someone here has drank, or even heard of, Montenegro.  I developed a taste for, many moons ago, when we lived in Naples. A lot of restaurants served up tiny glasses of it as a  "digestivo", after dinner.  No matter how full you were, there was always room for a glass.  I never knew that it was used as a mixer.

On 1/30/2021 at 5:36 PM, smokinjoe said:

Another from Regan’s, “The Joy of Mixology”:  

“Corpse Reviver No. 2

• 3/4 oz. Gin

• 3/4 oz. Triple Sec

• 3/4 oz. Lillet Blonde

• 3/4 oz. Fresh lemon juice

• 1 dash Absinthe (Since no absinthe, I used Absente)

- Shake & Strain into chilled cocktail glass.  

Regan’s story:  “Based on Craddock’s 1930 recipe, about which he noted, ‘Four of these taken in quick succession will unrevive the corpse again.’ “. 🤣🤣

Of course he means it undos the resuscitation effects from the CR No, 1... 😁. I love this book.  

09210891-34C7-47B2-9590-9A01EB75A865.jpeg

You been hitting my liquor cabinet?  THAT'S what I use, down to the brands and measures, in my CR #2!!!!  It is a super cocktail and is forgiving if I screw up the measures.

12 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm amazed that someone here has drank, or even heard of, Montenegro.  I developed a taste for, many moons ago, when we lived in Naples. A lot of restaurants served up tiny glasses of it as a  "digestivo", after dinner.  No matter how full you were, there was always room for a glass.  I never knew that it was used as a mixer.

We've gone through almost two 750s of Montenegro this past twelve months - all consumed in cocktails.  While the list of recipes is limited, we really do like its "roundness" and lack of bitterness with stringer (EDIT - sic, I meant "stronger")  spirits OR with citrus and soda.  OTOH, we rarely use Averna in cocktails but do use it as a classic digestif.  Funny how these amari seem to fit particular moods.  Must be an Italian thing.;)

Edited by Harry in WashDC
clarify that I AM A DOOFUS TYPER!!
  • I like it 1

32 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

We've gone through almost two 750s of Montenegro this past twelve months - all consumed in cocktails.  While the list of recipes is limited, we really do like its "roundness" and lack of bitterness with stringer (EDIT - sic, I meant "stronger")  spirits OR with citrus and soda.  OTOH, we rarely use Averna in cocktails but do use it as a classic digestif.  Funny how these amari seem to fit particular moods.  Must be an Italian thing.;)

Do you have a favorite cocktail,  with the Montenegro? 

7 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Do you have a favorite cocktail,  with the Montenegro? 

Yup.  But I watching "Vera" Season 1, Episode 2 on PBS.  When it's over, I go get it.  WARNING.  It's pretty basic.  But GOOD.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Yup.  But I watching "Vera" Season 1, Episode 2 on PBS.  When it's over, I go get it.  WARNING.  It's pretty basic.  But GOOD.

Thanks! I love basic!

Currently watching the Caps trying to hold on against the Pens....

Just now, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks! I love basic!

Currently watching the Caps trying to hold on against the Pens....

AW GEEZ!  My heart could not take that.  I don't think I've EVER watched when the Caps beat the Pens - I AM BAD KARMA!!

Recopie shortly.  Vera over.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.