Cocktail Hour--2021

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, BadlandsBandit said:

Soooooooo many recipes!  I want to try everything.  Must invest in advancing my bar ingredients volume.

This is so much easier to do when your nestlings have returned to the nest. You would be surprised how much they add to the bar when they try to one up everyone with a new cocktail!!!

• I like it 1

Mrs. Skinsfan requested a Bloody Mary.  The only thing missing is the kitchen sink😉

20210307_144502.jpg

Today was Red Hook day.  Added a bit of the cherry juice for some extra sweetness.  Very nice.

Since it was a nice warm day, Mrs. Two Fingers went with a Lynchburg Lemonade (not pictured) which was a good choice.

IMG_20210311_154940772.jpg

My wife has gotten used to me making her cocktails so a few weeks ago when I was in Hawaii for work on a Friday night she decided to teach herself how to make a whiskey sour. Good thing because tonight is a bad palate night and nothing is tasting good so she made one for me and it's tasting good!

• I like it 1

Finally tried a Vieux Carré tonight, and wondering why I ever waited this long.  Delicious!

Vieux_Carre.thumb.jpg.b34696ae89caddd23a19d9bdbfc6046f.jpg

• I like it 2

Serious question - what is the point of adding the ingredients for a Vieux Carré in one glass with ice, stirring, to then strain into another glass with ice?  Because I skipped that step all together, and while enjoying it have continued to ponder what that point of that step might be - other than to dirty another glass?

4 hours ago, GaryT said:

Finally tried a Vieux Carré tonight, and wondering why I ever waited this long.  Delicious!

Oh yeah, this is a great one.

14 hours ago, GaryT said:

Serious question - what is the point of adding the ingredients for a Vieux Carré in one glass with ice, stirring, to then strain into another glass with ice?  Because I skipped that step all together, and while enjoying it have continued to ponder what that point of that step might be - other than to dirty another glass?

That is a classic way to make many cocktails. You stir everything with ice in one glass, then strain it into another glass, either "up" or over fresh ice. It really does make a difference.

• I like it 1

On 3/13/2021 at 10:55 PM, flahute said:

My wife has gotten used to me making her cocktails so a few weeks ago when I was in Hawaii for work on a Friday night she decided to teach herself how to make a whiskey sour. Good thing because tonight is a bad palate night and nothing is tasting good so she made one for me and it's tasting good!

That is my cocktail special! No bar in this town does it better...

(690) New Orleans' Best Cocktails: The Whiskey Sour - YouTube

This is my guideline, tho most of the time I will double the ingredients per 1 eggwhite...

On 3/15/2021 at 6:33 PM, GaryT said:

I call those the king of cocktails.  Loved them after having one at the Carousel Bar in New Orleans.  

I stir mine in a shaker and serve it up.  I don't like them getting too dilute.

• I like it 2

On 3/16/2021 at 10:07 AM, ratcheer said:

That is a classic way to make many cocktails. You stir everything with ice in one glass, then strain it into another glass, either "up" or over fresh ice. It really does make a difference.

22 hours ago, TwoFingers said:

I call those the king of cocktails.  Loved them after having one at the Carousel Bar in New Orleans.  

I stir mine in a shaker and serve it up.  I don't like them getting too dilute.

I just mixed in a glass, threw in some ice and stirred - and thought it was pretty damn tasty.  I may have to try to make one that way, and make one "per the instructions" and do a blind sbs to see which I prefer.  I get why as a bartender you mix in one, strain into another (then just rinse your 'mixing glass'), but seems like a non-value added step to me.  Sounds like folks do it both ways - so I guess I'll test what works for me.  As my old may always says - as long as you're having fun - you're doing it right!  Appreciate the feedback!!

30 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Sounds like folks do it both ways - so I guess I'll test what works for me.  As my old may always says - as long as you're having fun - you're doing it right!  Appreciate the feedback!!

Drink it the way you like it, I say.  There isn't a wrong way.

• I like it 1

Shakey start with the Longhorns so I ran to the bar and threw something together. This tastes better than they’re playing! 

27624CD7-7136-4AFA-8F22-2DCF9ECBDC43.jpeg

• I like it 1

In the process of moving some bottles to the basement I found the Underberg, and the mood struck. But I also spied the Cointreau, so added about a half ounce along with a dash of orange bitters. Good! But syrupy. So I added another half ounce or so of the wife's reposado, chilled it by stirring a ice cube for a bit then removing it, and yum. Will have to mess around with ratios a bit more but will definitely have this again. Black licorice, orange, and tequila.

IMG_20210321_000921.thumb.jpg.502b3039a42febed21b66c8bd47dd498.jpgPXL_20210321_030825004.thumb.jpg.292480bf2db2f8230bdff8411b0b83a1.jpg

• I like it 2

On 3/15/2021 at 7:13 PM, GaryT said:

Typically one uses a larger stirring glass and adds more ice than needed because you are trying to create a certain amount of dilution as well as chill your drink as quickly as possible (it should ideally be about 32 degrees or less). Changing to fresh ice means it won't melt as quickly as the ice used to stir and won't affect dilution as quickly once it is in the drinking glass. Presuming one uses ice in the drink! I typically prefer my Vieux Carré served up (no ice) although on ice or a big rock is probably more typical.

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 10:11 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

#1 is Rye Montenegro Manhattan.  TWO OZ. Montenegro, 1 OZ. rye (OF 100 is GREAT here considering the liqueur leads), Angostura, with orange wheel and cherry garnish.

Malaguena?  One OZ. dark rum (white rum just does NOT stand up), One OZ. Montenegro, 1/4 OZ. simple syrup (uh, agave OR basic is ok), orange bitters + Angostura + orange peel.

A tequila alternative - 2 OZ. reposado tequila, 3/4 to 1 OZ. Montenegro, 1 OZ. grapefruit (or blood orange or Clementine, etc.) juice, 1 tsp simple syrup or agave.  SHAKE!.

NOTA BENE - Montenegro amaro is like Cynar or sweet vermouth - it seems to fit with every base spirit if the proportions are managed well.  It does have a subtle herbal undertone like Cynar, but it is not as pungent as Campari.  We played with the first 750 for several months before deciding it was versatile enough, albeit a bit "muted" and "herbal", to be used when a smooth, non-spicy cocktail was needed.

In other words, experiment with it - few of the drinks you make will be undrinkable.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:28 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Finally got off my lazy ass and made a couple. The Full Monte.  Thanks for the inspiration, @Harry in WashDC !

20210305_171453.jpg

I too, finally got to Harry’s Full Monte.  But, it was the lack of Montenegro on my bar holding me back.  Delicious start to Easter Weekend.  Pairing well with Pametto Cheese and Sea Salt Baked Crackers.  😋

AC8E658E-3E43-4BC9-BAB8-C5CAE673901E.jpeg

• I like it 2

Wife wanted to bake some bacon last weekend, so I insisted on capturing the drippings for some bourbon infusion - which I used for a Suckling Sour!  Had one of these in Glasgow a few years back, and if the bacon-infused boubon wasn't such a pain - I'd do these more often.  3 oz bacon-infused bourbon, 1.5 oz fresh lemon juice, 1 oz agave syrup and 1 egg white.  Basically a whiskey sour with a smokey/fatty twist.  Calls for a stick of crispy bacon as a garnish, but never expected that to make it to this weekend ;) 

IMG_20210402_183031.thumb.jpg.9088165c8710d98b6cb0c453ebb360c1.jpg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I too, finally got to Harry’s Full Monte.  But, it was the lack of Montenegro on my bar holding me back.  Delicious start to Easter Weekend.  Pairing well with Pametto Cheese and Sea Salt Baked Crackers.  😋

AC8E658E-3E43-4BC9-BAB8-C5CAE673901E.jpeg

Good call! 

Thank you @Harry in WashDC This is hitting the spot after a large Good Friday meal at the beach.  
looks like I’ll be adding an adult size bottle Montenegro. 

72B24055-3452-4989-90D6-311FE8FA8D58.jpeg

Finished the last drops from a bottle of OF1920 for this Old Fashioned. 
DFF333F8-7735-4299-891E-21AD2C0D8077.thumb.jpeg.83f29d798dbc2113857cdd2b5ce3f474.jpeg

Started with some Bourbon County Stout with grilled burgers for dinner. I'm one of the weird ones that will drink stouts all year long.

Then our first mint juleps of the year with home grown mint. We took our daughter some grocery/supplies since she is stuck at home recovering from covid. She has mint growing behind her house.  Made with MM101. I also used some DeKuyper mint liquer in it.

20210403_201642.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 2

Manhattans on Easter and the end of a little bottle of rye that I thoroughly enjoyed.  Bob did good on this one.  And I recommend the Bitter End Moroccan bitters.  The cayenne is good with rye.  Happy Easter, all.

IMG_7046.thumb.jpg.c6317bcfa7155f91b7365657cb01923e.jpg

• I like it 1

Enjoying the hell out of some front porch time this evening (70 deg. here) with a fantastic Manhattan I made using 1792FP, Cocchi Vermouth, Angostura bitters, and an Evan Williams cherry (arguably better than luxardo).

I don’t normally recommend Barton bourbon for mixing, but tonight I got a wild idea and it turned out very nice indeed.   🥃

A96DFB7E-2A55-489A-A3AC-14F46ED1A1F1.jpeg

• I like it 2

Opened a new bottle of vermouth for this one and please don't be like me.  Don't hang on to your vermouth for a year before finishing off the bottle.  I refrigerate but still...when you open a new bottle, you're like, "Whoa!"  That said, this KC is punching right through the vermouth.  I mixed it 2 to 1 but I think on round two, I'll go one to one for the hell of it.    I vaguely recall that being the original martini proportion.  Or maybe that would just be drinkable at the start.  And then get sickly sweet as it watered.  I've always had a soft spot for the steak house Manhattan.  The kind of drink that blows you back at the first sip, but as you work your way through the appetizer and wait for your big red meat to arrive, it softens on ice, and you're ready for another by the time dinner arrives.

IMG_7095.thumb.jpg.6e78da758945a9ad837260d7ff1cff2c.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.