What bottle did you open today? ~ 2021

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I couldn’t find a new thread for this year, or else no one has opened any bourbon since December?

Anyway.

Pulled this one out of my stash because I finally had a spot big enough for it on my Tetris game of a shelf for “opens”.

Lots of cherry and dry oak flavors.

I like it.

900DAF81-4188-449D-A237-DDE50799E5FA.jpeg

• I like it 6

26 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I couldn’t find a new thread for this year, or else no one has opened any bourbon since December?

Anyway.

Pulled this one out of my stash because I finally had a spot big enough for it on my Tetris game of a shelf for “opens”.

I like it.

I’ve got one of these stashed in my bunker somewhere...to be opened someday. I know it’s received mixed reviews over the years, but glad to hear that you like it. 

• I like it 2

Cracked into a Belle Meade Reserve. The 108.3 proof replacement for the cask strength releases.

While it's not a significant departure from its prior incarnation, nothing about it seemed better than my recollection of the older variety.  Slightly less appealing all around but may have held its own against previous lower-level batches. 

Some of this may be psychological expectations and/or unreliable memory.  I may have a different result in a blind comparison.  

Beyond the sensory factors, the uniqueness of the varied proof bottlings has been lost.  It was cool to see a differently-proofed batch on a shelf and want to compare it vs prior releases.  Batch to batch variations will likely be more subtle and less frequent, I'd presume.  

In comparison to my usual rotation, it didn't hold up vs say, OF1920, FRSBS or WTRB.  Worth an eventual try for the MGP/BM aficionados but not a priority buy.  I've got a decent amount of barrel proof BM in the bunker and I don't see replacing this one any time soon.

• I like it 2

Pulled one from the bunker.  WTKS , bottled in 2011.

First impression: Wild Turkey goodness.

My, my what a whiskey. Mouth coating. Balanced: sweet, spice & a bit of oak. Plus some of that classic dusty Turkey. This one may go fast. I think I have another in the bunker, 🤞🏻

Cheers

• I like it 2

On 1/15/2021 at 2:55 PM, 0895 said:

Anyway.

I like it.

I tried this in a bar once, and I thought it was good too.  Might buy a bottle one of these days.

3 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Pulled one from the bunker.  WTKS , bottled in 2011.

First impression: Wild Turkey goodness.

My, my what a whiskey. Mouth coating. Balanced: sweet, spice & a bit of oak. Plus some of that classic dusty Turkey. This one may go fast. I think I have another in the bunker, 🤞🏻

Cheers

Older Kentucky Spirit can be really incredible, if a somewhat hit and miss.   But when you get a good one,  look out!  Wish the new WTKS were as good as those.  Oh well we always have RR single barrel.

• I like it 2

Opened a fresh SAOS 5 year. This barrel has less of the "MGP funky finish" than the last one I tried.  Corn-pop sweet. "Only" 112.4 proof. Alas, it's a Jordan bottle and not Sarah.

20210121_194845.jpg

20210121_194853.jpg

• I like it 3

Opened a fresh bottle of Buffalo Trace and the wife and I enjoyed a healthy pour.  I know, not real exciting, but it still hit the spot on a cold, Thursday night.  

• I like it 3

21 minutes ago, Irishod said:

Opened a fresh bottle of Buffalo Trace and the wife and I enjoyed a healthy pour.  I know, not real exciting, but it still hit the spot on a cold, Thursday night.  

Regular BT has been hitting the spot dead on for me lately.

Just darn good stuff.

Makes a great Manhattan as well!

• I like it 3

I experimented on Manhattan and Old Fashion recipes exclusively with BT when I first started drinking them. BT is great for cocktails or straight. A great $25 bourbon.

• I like it 3

Just opened a new ECBP C920.  Man, I love this stuff! Lots of cherry caramel and a little hotter than the ECBP B520 that I just finished, but I know it will mellow out a bit after the neck pour.

• I like it 1

Out with the old, and in with the new. I finished bottles of BT and MM 46, and both are headed to my empty bottle stash downstairs. I will be opening a ps BT to replace the regular BT. I will also be opening a newly purchased MM 46 to replace the old one. Just for s**ts and giggles, my girl at MM dipped both bottles of MM 46. 😎  It always makes me smile when I see a long drip on the back of a MM bottle.

Biba! Joe

DSC_0006 2.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0001 2.JPG

• I like it 2

@fishnbowljoe inspired me to open a MM SE4xPR5 tonight. It seems to have a lot in common with M46 CS. It's a lot spicier than last year's RC6, which had a fruity note to it. The tasting notes on this one really talk up the vanilla and caramel but I'm instead getting way more baking spices and oak.  I think I liked RC6 better, but this is a good pour.

The longest wax drip on this is on back but not near as long as Joe's.

20210124_184527.jpg

• I like it 1

Opened this one up for Mrs. Clueby tonight. Of course I had to have a sip. B520 is a really good batch!!

20210126_203311.jpg

• I like it 5

28 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Opened this one up for Mrs. Clueby tonight. Of course I had to have a sip. B520 is a really good batch!!

20210126_203311.jpg

It's my favorite batch of the last few years. It's an absolute steal at $55.

I proofed some down to about 115, and it's incredible there. 

Just opened my 2019 GTS.  Letting it breathe for a few minutes before seeing how it compares to the 2018 that was closed out about a month ago.  Good way to end a lazy weekend.

• I like it 5

Just opened the 2 BT PS bottles and am about to do a SBSBS with regular release BT.

Mrs. Clueby did the random/blind mixup for me. Results to follow.

20210131_174826.jpg

• I like it 6

59 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Just opened the 2 BT PS bottles and am about to do a SBSBS with regular release BT.

Mrs. Clueby did the random/blind mixup for me. Results to follow.

I ranked them. A, B, C from best to worst.

A...2nd best nose. A little more richness on nose a palate. It had the best finish, with more spice and oak.

B... Best nose. More fruitiness on the nose and palate. Noticably slightly darker color than the other two. Best feel and the best initial palate with more richness and fruit than the others, but there was a distinct funk on the finish that kept it out of #1 spot.

C... Was just all around a little "less" than the other 2 samples.

Nothing wrong with any of them. So interesting that they are all BT and they are all similar, yet still have a lot of differences. 

After waiting a bit and re-visiting, A and B were really close. B still has that little but of bitter funk that just knocks it at the very end. Otherwise it would have taken top spot 

Reveal (which is probably only really relevant for local folks):

A... Fas-Trip (a local gas station)

B... Lukas (which has now changed hands)

C... Regular BT release

Mrs. Clueby ranked them C, A, B. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 4

17 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Just opened my 2019 GTS.  Letting it breathe for a few minutes before seeing how it compares to the 2018 that was closed out about a month ago.  Good way to end a lazy weekend.

Love my 2019 GTS

• I like it 1

On 1/31/2021 at 5:58 PM, Radioyada said:

I'd say so!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, JakeySnakes said:

IMG_1185.jpg

That's a good one, I was impressed for the price. I will buy a replacement for mine one day.

• I like it 1

Had to knock the dust off  this one. It's been in my bunker since 2016 but it was bottled in 2013.  Back when store picks just sat on the shelf forever.

20210201_201821.jpg

• I like it 5

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

Had to knock the dust off  this one. It's been in my bunker since 2016 but it was bottled in 2013.  Back when store picks just sat on the shelf forever.

20210201_201821.jpg

Nice! How long have you been sitting on that one?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.