What rye are you drinking or purchased in 2021

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I found myself sipping on a michters 10 year rye after finishing a bottle of old overholt 11 year. It dawned on me that this is a new year, and therefore a new topic is warranted. Hopefully this one will be filled with many delicious pours. Cheers and may you have much luck this 2021.

• I like it 2

I like the BIB NR Rye quite a bit, so I was excited to pick this up yesterday. 

This barrel is the most mint forward straight whiskey I've ever had, detrementally so. Ill revisit it down the road, but it may be a while. Hopefully my palate adjusts and I end up enjoying it. But at this point I'm disappointed. 

20210116_101627.jpg

Having a nice pour of the new Castle & Key Restoration Rye that I brought home today. I really like it.

2A1479F9-D8E5-4567-AA55-511ECDC8940D.jpeg

• I like it 2

Rare Breed rye and a growing collection of Wilderness Trail rye both store picks and general release.  

22 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I like the BIB NR Rye quite a bit, so I was excited to pick this up yesterday. 

This barrel is the most mint forward straight whiskey I've ever had, detrementally so. Ill revisit it down the road, but it may be a while. Hopefully my palate adjusts and I end up enjoying it. But at this point I'm disappointed. 

20210116_101627.jpg

I have had single barrel picks from the distillery and a liquor store that I just loved but the one general release that I had wasn't near the same level. That one has lingered open for a while. If you have a store who does picks that you trust and like, I suggest trying one of those. 

I didn't really need any more bottles, but decided to browse through an area I hadn't been to in a while.

IMG_20210123_124656.jpg

I’m looking forward to trying this one. It’s only aged 3 to 4 years but the mashbill is interesting; over 50% malted rye and the rest is caramel malted rye, malted barley and corn. 

0EDCB04A-8A38-4D6D-A2CE-E3C674FF9261.jpeg
So after initially posting I decided I couldn’t wait and tried it. 
Nose: caramel, grains in a good way not green and youthful, brown sugar and clove. 

Taste: very similar to the nose. The same flavors with some ethanol punch. 

I’m impressed. It has some elbows and knees that could use some age to mellow but they’re on a good track. 

Edited by CUfan99
Give tasting notes
  • I like it 4

Picked up this 6yr KC pick my county did. Will see if it tastes as the name implies.

9C9EEE7F-7C89-42D0-B55C-8B3530D969DB.jpeg

• I like it 1

Man, was I not impressed with this Kentucky Owl Batch 1 upon opening about a year ago.  I've had some pours since that were better, and having one tonight, and man, am I impressed with this now.  Fantastic rye.  Haven't bought any later batches due to the price hike, but this first batch is excellent.

BFDA82D6-A51A-4AEC-9BED-87C2640B0FC8.jpeg

Edited by jeffrey r
  • I like it 3

image.thumb.jpeg.f69b0b38920e7d971bcbe1aa8ca46a9c.jpeg
a little 2017 double rye

anyone know if this is still the old formula or if this is all HW distillate? 

Edited by FasterHorses

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

image.thumb.jpeg.f69b0b38920e7d971bcbe1aa8ca46a9c.jpeg
a little 2017 double rye

anyone know if this is still the old formula or if this is all HW distillate? 

Looked it up.. it was 2yr MGP and 16yr barton until 2018.. article from may 2018. 

• I like it 1

Tonight I made a nice bison sirloin with asparagus and mushrooms. I'm really quite pleased with the notes it brought out in my willett. Almost lemon and honey.IMG_20210131_180116.thumb.jpg.779c78f7395c7f8c50cf116d96a354e7.jpg

• I like it 1

On 1/26/2021 at 5:18 PM, jeffrey r said:

Man, was I not impressed with this Kentucky Owl Batch 1 upon opening about a year ago.  I've had some pours since that were better, and having one tonight, and man, am I impressed with this now.  Fantastic rye.  Haven't bought any later batches due to the price hike, but this first batch is excellent.

BFDA82D6-A51A-4AEC-9BED-87C2640B0FC8.jpeg

I really liked batch 1, and at the time I think it was $130 and I stocked up. I tried batch 2 but haven’t bothered with 3 or 4. I saw 4 priced at $280 recently so I’m glad I still have 5 bottles of 1

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I really liked batch 1, and at the time I think it was $130 and I stocked up. I tried batch 2 but haven’t bothered with 3 or 4. I saw 4 priced at $280 recently so I’m glad I still have 5 bottles of 1

Yep batch 1 was the one to stock up on for sure 

It has been a while since I had a KCCS on the shelf. It's one of those bottles I really enjoy but regularly pass on in favor of another. But today I grabbed one.

IMG_20210203_174752.jpg

• I like it 4

5 minutes ago, Ace1943 said:

Have you compared batch one (barreled in 2009) and batch 2 (barreled in 2010)?

Unfortunately I have not. But it sounds like a great idea

I really like them both. The 2009 bottling is 119.6 proof, and the 2010 is 127 proof. As much as I enjoy the higher proofs, I find myself gravitating toward

the 2009. I am finding it very hard to beat and have bunkered it heavily.

• I like it 3

Bought some backups today, so no big deal. Except for the bone snapper x-ray. I've wanted one for a really long time, but had never seen one around my way. I think I know what I'll be sipping on next.

IMG_20210205_164058.jpg

Capping off a long week with a really nice WP private pick.  Getting down to the last few pours, so not sure it survives the weekend.

IMG_20210205_173518.thumb.jpg.24e5c56892684d28c6cd892399241158.jpg

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Mattk said:

Bought some backups today, so no big deal. Except for the bone snapper x-ray. I've wanted one for a really long time, but had never seen one around my way. I think I know what I'll be sipping on next.

Awesome, glad you finally found one!

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.