What rye are you drinking or purchased in 2021

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

image.thumb.jpeg.165b4c56f5297cf6a20877ff2380ac77.jpeg
Bought one for myself this time. If they  get more i may put one away. Packaging is A+ .. Product is B. Was there a previous release of this rye?

• I like it 1

On 2/17/2021 at 8:28 PM, FasterHorses said:

Bought one for myself this time. If they  get more i may put one away. Packaging is A+ .. Product is B. Was there a previous release of this rye?

Well of course the CR Noble collection is an annual release. I don't  know whether this year's version (16 year) had more than one version or not.

Perhaps someone on here knows and chimes in.

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

Well of course the CR Noble collection is an annual release. I don't  know whether this year's version (16 year) had more than one version or not.

I don’t know, but I’d guess that it is very possible.  Maybe TANSTAAFL2 knows.  Trust me when I say, he knows everything else!  I’m dead serious... 👁

I’ll say this, it was my personal whiskey of the year for 2020 until I got an EC18.  But, the EC just edged it out.  

My first experience with this one. Both the wife and I commented that the rye was much sweeter than we expected. Lots of orange and citrus notes with some subtle baking spices. Of course, the wife went back for a second nip :)

96D2C061-A95F-4D7F-8ACE-0E93D1228D0B.jpeg

• I like it 8

21 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

My first experience with this one. Both the wife and I commented that the rye was much sweeter than we expected. Lots of orange and citrus notes with some subtle baking spices. Of course, the wife went back for a second nip :)

96D2C061-A95F-4D7F-8ACE-0E93D1228D0B.jpeg

Good for you!   Any idea the source these days?

15 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Buff Trace?? This is a 2020 bottling so I’m assuming it’s them, but have no actual idea. 

17 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Buffalo Trace is the source.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:28 PM, FasterHorses said:

On 2/20/2021 at 2:29 AM, Kepler said:

On 2/20/2021 at 3:18 PM, smokinjoe said:

I don’t know, but I’d guess that it is very possible.  Maybe TANSTAAFL2 knows.  Trust me when I say, he knows everything else!  I’m dead serious... 👁

I’ll say this, it was my personal whiskey of the year for 2020 until I got an EC18.  But, the EC just edged it out.  

it is an annual release but each year it is something different. Last year was French Oak cask finish and before that there was a wine cask finish. This is the first one released with an age statement that I can recall. As far as I know there is just a single release for each year.

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 3

15 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

. This is the first one released with an age statement that I can recall. As far as I know there is just a single release for each year.

My local still has a 13 year blenders mash noble collection.

• I like it 1

Cheap Bastard strikes again.  One of the local chains is trying to clear out several Rossville Union Single Barrels.  They normally run $39.99.  They are sale for $24.99.  They have several different barrels from the past few years.  I believe their goal is to clear these out because 1) they haven't moved very well and 2.) the new single barrels will be at barrel strength and, presumably, a higher price.  The marketing of MGP branded products, Remus and Rossville, hasn't seemed to be very successful.  It seems like the market gets flooded with a product that seems overpriced for what it is and then the retailers are forced to sell at a significantly lower price. Cheap Bastard likes this market model.  

My local store had one that piqued my interest based on an on-line review by the retailer.  My expectations were low but I wanted to give it a try and the price was where I thought it should be.  

It is 100 proof and NAS but the retailer indicates it is 5-6 years old. It has a lot of typical MGP characteristics while I have always liked.  A slight but barely noticeable hint of dill.  However, it is a step above the standard MGP rye fare in that it has a nice brown sugar entry followed by a spice bomb on the finish.  The finish is fairly long.  

It reminds me of a James E. Pepper 1776 Rye, also MGP, that I had several years ago.  

I will try to find another bottle.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

I reiterate again, there are times that I really miss living in Indy.  😔  My wife might beg to differ however. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 1/16/2021 at 11:30 AM, JCwhammie said:

I like the BIB NR Rye quite a bit, so I was excited to pick this up yesterday. 

This barrel is the most mint forward straight whiskey I've ever had, detrementally so. Ill revisit it down the road, but it may be a while. Hopefully my palate adjusts and I end up enjoying it. But at this point I'm disappointed. 

20210116_101627.jpg

So....did you revisit this?  If so, did it improve?

29 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

So....did you revisit this?  If so, did it improve?

I havent tried it again yet. I may get around to that tonight 

On 2/23/2021 at 3:59 PM, Mattk said:

My local still has a 13 year blenders mash noble collection.

Ah yes, the third release in 2018. How could I forget? That one caused all the fuss when the TTB initially allowed the label to say "Bourbon Mash"

Picking my way through the internet it seems that the five releases have been:

2016 - Cornerstone Blend

2017 - Wine Barrel Finished

2018 - 13 Year Old Blenders' Mash

2019 - French Oak Cask Finished

2020 - Rye Aged 16 Years

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I havent tried it again yet. I may get around to that tonight 

I'm curious.

I have a soft spot for New Riff.

A friend of mine lives within walking distance of the distillery. She brought me a few bottles, as soon as they became available. I really dig it.

She picks it up, when it's on sale, at the Party City, or Kroger's and brings it up here when she visits her folks.   I tried a couple of their ryes and wasn't overly impressed.  After revisiting them, I find that I really like 'em.  Hopefully,  the same thing will happen when you revisit yours...

I’ve been working down a HW Double Rye finished in Syrah barrels. I’ve gotta say it’s a great change of pace in between bourbons. I only like it at about 1.5oz at a time, otherwise the flavor starts to become sort of overwhelming (an issue I have with a majority or ryes I’ve tried straight). It’s been a long time (8-10 months?) since I’ve had a rye open that didn’t have a barrel finish. And I’ve kind of grown accustomed to it. A local spot has HW Double Rye vermouth finish and I might have to check it out too. 

First time trying this one. The nose is soft and subtle a little minty. The palate a bit thin, flat and underwhelming. Light citrus, really muted compared the Van Winkle Rye.  The finish is oaky and long, some spice. 

I don’t love this one, but think that may be more my current higher proof drinking habits. This may shine when drank with some other 90pf whiskeys. 

D881FBC2-0357-431B-91D9-D1623278EFEF.jpeg

• I like it 4

22 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

First time trying this one. The nose is soft and subtle a little minty. The palate a bit thin, flat and underwhelming. Light citrus, really muted compared the Van Winkle Rye.  The finish is oaky and long, some spice. 

I don’t love this one, but think that may be more my current higher proof drinking habits. This may shine when drank with some other 90pf whiskeys. 

D881FBC2-0357-431B-91D9-D1623278EFEF.jpeg

I haven't been able to try it the past 2 years so thanks for your notes.  I keep hearing that it's starting to make a comeback after the down years.  They ought to bump the proof up to 100ish like they recently did with the ER17. However ER at least has a heritage of 101 so easier to explain.

Question for the  seasoned fans of Saz18:  does anybody actually prefer it at 90 proof for any reason (subtleness maybe?)?

Started with SAOS SB Rye 4 yr and now seeing how it compares to the 16 yr Crown. The Crown is head and shoulders better in my opinion. As expected the extra age and lower proof has made it a very smooth pour. The SAOS is no slouch .. I really hope they dont keep these at 4 like Willett has for the most part.

• I like it 1

59 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Started with SAOS SB Rye 4 yr and now seeing how it compares to the 16 yr Crown. The Crown is head and shoulders better in my opinion. As expected the extra age and lower proof has made it a very smooth pour. The SAOS is no slouch .. I really hope they dont keep these at 4 like Willett has for the most part.

Good observation.  I've been cautiously optimistic for awhile that Willett would gradually release a 5 year (and eventually even a 6 yr) to replace the regular 4 year rye expression, .... but so far, no dice.  I was just basing that on the fact that in my neck of the woods in the past we had a 2 year and then a 3 year product for a few years there, before it was replaced by the current 4 year SKU.  When the 4 year came out I predicted that the age would continue to stretch, but so far anyway I have been proven wrong.  Here's hoping that we see a 5 year sometime soon.

20 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Good observation.  I've been cautiously optimistic for awhile that Willett would gradually release a 5 year (and eventually even a 6 yr) to replace the regular 4 year rye expression, .... but so far, no dice.  I was just basing that on the fact that in my neck of the woods in the past we had a 2 year and then a 3 year product for a few years there, before it was replaced by the current 4 year SKU.  When the 4 year came out I predicted that the age would continue to stretch, but so far anyway I have been proven wrong.  Here's hoping that we see a 5 year sometime soon.

Kepler.. i fell for the same trick. Was sure 5 was coming after the 4 year but i think we’re going on the 3rd consecutive year of 4 y/o Willett. Cant blame them when they get $199 for a 6 year though. Belle meade got me with their single barrels.. was all geared up for the 13 and then 14 but theyve stayed at 12 for a few years now. SAOS has the recent history of a little more age though so fingers crossed

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.