What rye are you drinking or purchased in 2021

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

22 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I bought this from a store that I have been purchasing from for several years and have built a relationship with.  Long standing relationships, lotteries/raffles, or just spending big $$ are how I think the majority of these bottles get sold.  

I'm trying to build relationships now but I don't know how to go about it without trying to spell out, "Hey I want to build a relationship with you for both of our benefits." Maybe I'm socially awkward when it comes to this stuff.

9 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

The BIB rye is readily available, and I much prefer it over this particular SiB rye. 

🤔

interesting.

My first finished rye.  Part of a barrel pick from a local group.   It was finished in a "Mac Vin Du Jura" barrel for 7 months.  

20210304_150955.jpg

20210304_150748.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311

22 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I'm trying to build relationships now but I don't know how to go about it without trying to spell out, "Hey I want to build a relationship with you for both of our benefits." Maybe I'm socially awkward when it comes to this stuff.

Well I only have my own experiences to draw from and even just 5 years ago it was a totally different market, but it sounds to me like you may be pressing the issue and/or expecting something to develop quickly.   It probably took me 9 months to a year of steady regular shopping before I started seeing some of the limited items.  

• I like it 1

On 2/28/2021 at 10:27 PM, 0895 said:

I really enjoyed the Wigle rye I bought in 2019.  Had a (slightly strange for rye) tart cherry thing to it that I enjoyed quite a bit.

Interested to hear what you think.

Opened the wiggle tonight. I find it to be the most enjoyable of the random local bottles I ended up with. It's tied with the standard catoctin creek roundstone. The tart cherry is the most noticable character found in the sip. All the way through. But ultimately the taste is still young. My bottle is 2 years old. I think I'd really enjoy a 4-6 year cask strength version.

Edited by Mattk
  • I like it 1

I am shocked I happened upon a founders collection. There was absolutely no hesitation in buying another one. Also I got an alberta premium cask strength.

IMG_20210305_164003.jpg

IMG_20210305_164239.jpg

• I like it 5

39 minutes ago, Mattk said:

I am shocked I happened upon a founders collection. There was absolutely no hesitation in buying another one. Also I got an alberta premium cask strength.

IMG_20210305_164003.jpg

IMG_20210305_164239.jpg

I've seen that Alberta Premium and I almost pulled the trigger. You gotta let us know what you think.

5 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

I've seen that Alberta Premium and I almost pulled the trigger. You gotta let us know what you think.

Well honestly I got one just to have one. It's not in the immediate lineup of bottles to open, eventually I'll get around to it. But I am a huge fan of the early WP boss hogs, lock stock and barrel, hotchstaders, and little book 2. Which were all sourced from alberta. My hopes are that this is good, but I expect it to be not quite as nice as the others because the alberta premium lacks an age statement.

Enjoying some Redemption 10 yr rye while the charcoal smokes. I was disappointed with the neck pour but after having the bottle open a few weeks it’s singing to me now. Cheers!

• I like it 2

Well let’s see if this was worth the hassle and stupid price.

20677825-4028-4B8C-AB07-3413B59699CD.jpeg

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 1

18 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Yeah.. same thing I thought about the 4 year that I tried. It has nice spice and dryness on the back on the palate. It's bright but the medicinal note in the middle throws it all off. Rare breed or Knob Creek cask strength are just way better and much cheaper.

18 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Yeah.. same thing I thought about the 4 year that I tried. It has nice spice and dryness on the back on the palate. It's bright but the medicinal note in the middle throws it all off. Rare breed or Knob Creek cask strength are just way better and much cheaper.

There might be some orange cream in there? Maybe.

5 hours ago, mal00768 said:

What do you think? I just found a Willett myself and bought it but I haven't opened it yet. I don't know what I'm waiting for but I've been waiting.

7 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

What do you think? I just found a Willett myself and bought it but I haven't opened it yet. I don't know what I'm waiting for but I've been waiting.

See my above comment. I don’t think it’s great.

This is about my 4th pour of the new WPBH 7 and it’s just getting better and better. It’s hard to spend the money on this one, but absolutely no regrets. They did a fantastic job of mingling and selecting the barrels. Absolutely one of the most unique whiskeys I’ve ever had. 
F6D272D7-3E91-4825-A1D1-2971B8C00D7E.thumb.jpeg.02a242829ed31c1b74fccb228ec2a396.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 6

8 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

This is about my 4th pour of the new WPBH 7 and it’s just getting better and better. It’s hard to spend the money on this one, but absolutely no regrets. They did a fantastic job of mingling and selecting the barrels. Absolutely one of the most unique whiskeys I’ve ever had. 
F6D272D7-3E91-4825-A1D1-2971B8C00D7E.thumb.jpeg.02a242829ed31c1b74fccb228ec2a396.jpeg

I love this bottle. Easily one of the top whiskies I have ever had. Completely agree that each pour gets better and better. 

Found a couple buddies today and brought them home. About to do a Blind SBS to see what I like more.

6AED48E7-FAC9-464D-A5B0-E172AF36D059.jpeg

On 2/3/2021 at 7:42 PM, Ace1943 said:

Have you compared batch one (barreled in 2009) and batch 2 (barreled in 2010)?

So I finally got to do a sbs of the two. The 2009 was a delightful complex pour. But the 2010 was just a hot mess, no complexity, just hot and a bit of sweet oak. No comparison. I'd buy another 2009., But the 2010 was just not great.

• I like it 1

Finally. I had the darndest time getting my hands on one of these. I had pretty much accepted I wasn't going to get one, then fortune smiled upon me.

IMG_20210311_164458.jpg

Edited by Mattk
  • I like it 4

In Austin, TX with an Angel’s Envy rye... a nice sweet aperitif. 

90DA17DB-92D9-42B4-953D-949E8DB99F08.thumb.jpeg.7a7ab957c34fd78d1f26146fe4fff649.jpeg

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Mattk said:

Finally. I had the darndest time getting my hands on one of these. I had pretty much accepted I wasn't going to get one, then fortune smiled upon me.

IMG_20210311_164458.jpg

Whoaaa I'm so jealous. I've been searching EVERYWHERE for one of these.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

In Austin, TX with an Angel’s Envy rye... a nice sweet aperitif. 

90DA17DB-92D9-42B4-953D-949E8DB99F08.thumb.jpeg.7a7ab957c34fd78d1f26146fe4fff649.jpeg

Is it worth the price tag? I find Angel's Envy Rye closer to the $100 range in my area.

8 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Is it worth the price tag? I find Angel's Envy Rye closer to the $100 range in my area.

It's not about money--I have a sentimental & experiential relationship with Bacardi, so I like to support their brands.

• I like it 1

A buddy of mine sent me a sample WT Master's Keep Cornerstone rye.  It's really, really good. I need a bottle of this in my life..

• I like it 1

Not going to lie, I hated the neck pour of this. Shoot, I didn't even like the first half of this bottle. After a couple of weeks of it being half full I went back in tonight... stupid good. I don't know how or why but I'm enjoying this a lot. Maybe it's because I grabbed it off the shelf with a tepid attitude or it opened up but nonetheless it's a great drink on this fine friday night.

7D49B333-6931-48F8-9AC1-8A8BCA1DFA3E.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.