What rye are you drinking or purchased in 2021

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/10/2021 at 8:59 PM, Mattk said:

So I finally got to do a sbs of the two. The 2009 was a delightful complex pour. But the 2010 was just a hot mess, no complexity, just hot and a bit of sweet oak. No comparison. I'd buy another 2009., But the 2010 was just not great.

Thank you for your response. I still like the 2010 quite a bit, and it's the only one of the two I can locate now. I agree that it is not up to the 2009, but I have gotten used to its heat. Murray gave it a 95, but gave the 2009 a 96.5. I'll admit I have never done a sbs and may not even try now.

On 3/3/2021 at 5:39 PM, LvR Mike said:

I'm trying to build relationships now but I don't know how to go about it without trying to spell out, "Hey I want to build a relationship with you for both of our benefits." Maybe I'm socially awkward when it comes to this stuff.

So here it goes...

My thoughts on building a relationship with a liquor store...

So I myself am socially awkward, but I have had great success with this method, as I have a few stores that keep a box in back just for me. First step is to find a bunch of stores that have a nice selection around you, and keep a space you feel comfortable in. Next take the time to meet the staff/ owner. Chat, tell jokes, try and get an idea of who they are. Then pick the ones you actually want to be friends with. Then just be their friend. Remember whiskey brings people together, it's the friendships that are really important, not the whiskey. The stores that have the decent selection, comfortable space, and friendly staff are your spots. Spend your dollars there, and don't be upset when you find out later that you picked one or two wrong... It happens. Finally just spend time there and support your store. It's fun to visit your friend even if and mostly you are just picking up a daily drinker. Remember it's the friendships that are important. Ultimately all the stores I ended up with are great and I'm very glad to know the proprietors. They are all big fans of whiskey too surprisingly enough. If I get something I know they couldn't I always make sure to bring it in for them to taste. Because once again, it's about the friendship, not the fancy bottles.

Edited by Mattk
  • I like it 1

I'm drinking bourbon tonight but I picked up a bottle of Chattanooga 99 Rye that I'm looking forward to trying on my next rye night.  I enjoy their bourbons, especially the BP store pick I have.  I've read good reviews of the 99 Rye so something to look forward to anyway.

Edited by Kepler

On 3/3/2021 at 5:39 PM, LvR Mike said:

I'm trying to build relationships now but I don't know how to go about it without trying to spell out, "Hey I want to build a relationship with you for both of our benefits." Maybe I'm socially awkward when it comes to this stuff.

If you can find the time, drop in early on weekdays, like the middle of the week.  The staff will be much more likely to chat, and give you individualized attention.

Tell yourself, you're going to buy something you like, and know they have.  That's a good conversation starter.  "I like this, but friends say ... is really good too".

So I'm in quarantine yet again. Here is to hoping this time goes as smoothly as the last.

IMG_20210314_170805.jpg

Knob Creek Small Batch 100 proof Rye. While not the biggest fan of rye, I have to admit this is a tasty bottle. I would buy it again.  Then again I don’t think i ever disliked a bottle of Knob Creek anything. 

• I like it 1

Enjoying this 4 year Single Barrel tonight.  I understand why people don’t want to $pring for this stuff, but my wife and I enjoy it quite a bit.

I think the sweet mash process really helps lead to some great variety of flavors among their single barrels.

This one tastes almost like a fresh piece of spice cake with vanilla frosting.

F18F6B3F-4AAB-420D-A566-87A11BBA658E.jpeg

Reached to the back of the cabinet for KO Rye, batch 2.  I know this one isn't a fave around here, but I enjoy it.

Tonight, I taste a quasi wine note. Some might refer to it as a "Plum" note. Also some cinnamon & baking spices. Very entertaining. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

On 3/18/2021 at 10:28 PM, 0895 said:

Enjoying this 4 year Single Barrel tonight.  I understand why people don’t want to $pring for this stuff, but my wife and I enjoy it quite a bit.

I think the sweet mash process really helps lead to some great variety of flavors among their single barrels.

This one tastes almost like a fresh piece of spice cake with vanilla frosting.

F18F6B3F-4AAB-420D-A566-87A11BBA658E.jpeg

Sounds tasty.  I have a 3yr single barrel that I need to open.  I don't believe I've seen a 4 year but maybe I just didn't notice.  I've had mine for maybe a year so they may be getting older. Was this a recent purchase?

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Sounds tasty.  I have a 3yr single barrel that I need to open.  I don't believe I've seen a 4 year but maybe I just didn't notice.  I've had mine for maybe a year so they may be getting older. Was this a recent purchase?

it was bottled in the fall/early winter of 2019 IIRC.

A chain store here with several locations went down to pick 3 barrels.

All 3 of them are excellent, with this being the oldest of the bunch.

I know there was a slight delay between getting the first two and this one delivered so perhaps that lead to some extra barrel time.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

it was bottled in the fall/early winter of 2019 IIRC.

A chain store here with several locations went down to pick 3 barrels.

All 3 of them are excellent, with this being the oldest of the bunch.

I know there was a slight delay between getting the first two and this one delivered so perhaps that lead to some extra barrel time.

Cool, thanks.  I need to open mine. So many whiskies, so little time!

• I like it 1

I don't venture into the rye pond very often but I just got in a Sazerac Rye barrel pick that my group did last year and wow is this great.

7yr 1mo at time of bottling. This likely won't last long!

• I like it 5

Ended up with some nice backup bottles today thanks to a friend, I'm stuck at home on quarantine still. I'll take a delivery like this every time.

IMG_20210320_154139.jpg

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, flahute said:

I don't venture into the rye pond very often but I just got in a Sazerac Rye barrel pick that my group did last year and wow is this great.

A good one goes down like cold spring water!👍

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, flahute said:

I always thought there was a lot of potential there, if they just upped the age and or proof of the standard version.  I would suggest a bonded and NCF brand extension too. 😁

15 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I always thought there was a lot of potential there, if they just upped the age and or proof of the standard version.  I would suggest a bonded and NCF brand extension too. 😁

I wasn't at the pick due to covid protocols so I didn't get to taste it out of the barrel but the two guys who were there raved about it. Sounds like it would have been an epic Handy at barrel proof.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, flahute said:

I wasn't at the pick due to covid protocols so I didn't get to taste it out of the barrel but the two guys who were there raved about it. Sounds like it would have been an epic Handy at barrel proof.

I helped a local store do a barrel pick at the beginning of last year. The way it was explained to me by the Saz rep is they will grow the Store pick program over the next four years then at some point they are going to start doing store pics of barrel proof Sazerac. A single barrel store pick of Handy.... Mmmmm

The barrels they are using are coming out of New Orleans, so since that facility is fairly new they need some time to grow up. 
Of course this from a “rep” so take it with a grain of salt, for now. 

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

36 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I helped a local store do a barrel pick at the beginning of last year. The way it was explained to me by the Saz rep is they will grow the Store pick program over the next four years then at some point they are going to start doing store pics of barrel proof Sazerac. A single barrel store pick of Handy.... Mmmmm

The barrels they are using are coming out of New Orleans, so since that facility is fairly new they need some time to grow up. 

Keep the barrels there.!  I wanna pick my Saz in New Orleans!!!  😍

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Oh interesting! I remember reading about them planning on a facility specifically for Sazerac but don't remember any details.

Because the program is so new we had to run our barrel through a store in Louisiana. One of our guys drove down there and met the distribution truck and transferred all the cases directly to the car so the store wouldn't have to deal with them. Easiest money that store ever made.

With Stagg Jr and now ECBP entering their respective barrel programs I can see Sazerac being there at barrel proof in the future.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, flahute said:

One of our guys drove down there and met the distribution truck and transferred all the cases directly to the car so the store wouldn't have to deal with them. 

I remember how bad the rear suspension was sagging on my Subaru, hauling all our wedding booze to the venue in the trunk and it wasn't (by my definition) all that much.

The car handled squirly as hell sitting on its hind legs.

I would think one would need at least a truck with a decent suspension and hauling capacity to get 200+/- bottles of booze and possibly an empty barrel home.

Anyway, I bet he has a great story to tell about it now.

:)

• I like it 1

Enjoying Roulette Rye, which just hit the shelves in WI. 4yr MGP, 100proof, and selling for $29.99. Quite tasty. Nice to see a new release that's not $50.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.