What rye are you drinking or purchased in 2021

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/20/2021 at 1:22 AM, Kepler said:

I opened with some HW Midwinter and now sipping some Redemption 8yr bp. 

How do you like the Redemption rye?   A buddy sent me a sample of the 10 yr BP and it was really, really good.   Mrs. Skinsfan is a big fan of ryes and she loved it.   I've never really gone looking for it, but I do see the standard Redemption ryes on the shelf, but have never pulled the trigger.   Have you had their regular rye and, if so, how do you like it?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

How do you like the Redemption rye?   A buddy sent me a sample of the 10 yr BP and it was really, really good.   Mrs. Skinsfan is a big fan of ryes and she loved it.   I've never really gone looking for it, but I do see the standard Redemption ryes on the shelf, but have never pulled the trigger.   Have you had their regular rye and, if so, how do you like it?

Thanks!

I like the regular Redemption Rye - usually have a bottle on hand.  I have not had the BP though.

For me it has enough of the Rye bite but not too much.  I like the subtler end of the rye scale 😉

I also like their high rye bourbon

17 hours ago, tascabe said:

I like the regular Redemption Rye - usually have a bottle on hand.  I have not had the BP though.

For me it has enough of the Rye bite but not too much.  I like the subtler end of the rye scale 😉

I also like their high rye bourbon

Thanks! 

Sounds good.   I'll buy some and see for myself.  It's reasonably priced around here, (Baltimore Metro Area).    I like the full gamut of the rye spectrum....from subtle to enamel-peeling, and everything in between.  It just depends on my mood, and palate, at the time.

Thanks, again!  

• I like it 1

Yesterday, I had some Rittenhouse, then a pour from my Christmas present Krogman's barrel proof MGP 3 years old.  Initial impressions still stand.  This is some extra good MGP.

22 hours ago, PaulO said:

Yesterday, I had some Rittenhouse, then a pour from my Christmas present Krogman's barrel proof MGP 3 years old.  Initial impressions still stand.  This is some extra good MGP.

I keep wanting to try both Rittenhouse and Pikesville but for some reason I just grab something else. Is Rittenhouse a staple in your collection?

1 hour ago, LvR Mike said:

I keep wanting to try both Rittenhouse and Pikesville but for some reason I just grab something else. Is Rittenhouse a staple in your collection?

I'm a big fan of almost anything bottled in bond.  Rittenhouse is similar to a high rye Bourbon to my tastes.  I say that in a good way.  For like $20 or a little more, it's hard to beat in that category.  Try Rittenhouse, then if you like it enough, spring for the Pikesville.

On 3/23/2021 at 11:33 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Thanks!

I also have the 10 year BP rye and it's excellent too.  Photo of them both. They are both MGP 95% rye content.  I like them for their rich intensity but sometimes I'm not in the mood for their dill note that all  MGP rye that I've ever tasted have to some degree. Some more than others.

I've never had the standard proof version.

20210325_224220.jpg

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

This wasn't directed at me but, I keep both on hand.   Pikesville Rye is insanely good, IMHO, and worth the extra $$$.    For a record, I'm a cheap bastard, and I don't hesitate at all to pay for it.    Another good one, that does appeal to my frugal side, is Old Forester Rye.  It's cheap, pretty spicy and very well balanced.   At ~ $23.00, it's  a steal, as is the OF100, (but that belongs in another thread)

11 hours ago, PaulO said:

I'm a big fan of almost anything bottled in bond.  Rittenhouse is similar to a high rye Bourbon to my tastes.  I say that in a good way.  For like $20 or a little more, it's hard to beat in that category.  Try Rittenhouse, then if you like it enough, spring for the Pikesville.

That's good advice.     

• I like it 2

Yes, the OF Rye is a favorite of mine too.  I haven't seen too many on the shelves lately. 😮 I could see it as being one of those bottles where people are on one side of the fence or the other.  To me, it's like the OF house style from the Bourbon - cranked up to eleven. 👍

• I like it 2

Revisiting the senator again. It's still just tolerable. I really seem to be in the minority around here on this one, but I'm just not that into the proof and wood stuff. I'll probably forget and try it again in a couple of months.

IMG_20210326_210023.jpg

11 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

This wasn't directed at me but, I keep both on hand.   Pikesville Rye is insanely good, IMHO, and worth the extra $$$.    For a record, I'm a cheap bastard, and I don't hesitate at all to pay for it.    Another good one, that does appeal to my frugal side, is Old Forester Rye.  It's cheap, pretty spicy and very well balanced.   At ~ $23.00, it's  a steal, as is the OF100, (but that belongs in another thread)

That's good advice.     

Next time I go out I will probably pick up both. I think I just needed an excuse to go get them and you've given me the fuel I need.

• I like it 2

One of my local stores just got two barrel picks of MGP rye via Cat’s Eye. Both are labeled as 5 year and they’re barrel proof. $70 each with profits from these barrels going to the local Children’s Hospital. Fairly significant differences in the taste profile between the two. Happy to support the charity angle as well, as our kids spent time at that place

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Next time I go out I will probably pick up both. I think I just needed an excuse to go get them and you've given me the fuel I need.

You're welcome. 😅

I decided to start the night with a Rittenhouse.  It has been awhile but a very  pour for the evening .

Hochstadter's Family Reserve 16 year in the glass tonight.  Absolutely love this rye.

• I like it 3

On 3/26/2021 at 10:13 PM, LvR Mike said:

This is the correct answer 

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Happy Sunday folks!

8E46DAB9-7D1F-4F9C-B430-3250C6A43C73.jpeg

Shut up. These things exist? Dude I would buy one so fast if I saw it.

On 3/25/2021 at 9:48 PM, LvR Mike said:

At the low price Ritt not big risk.  It's good but not fantastic.  Pikesville has higher price and is pretty good for being a young 6 year old.  Lot better value than similar priced 6 year whistlepig.

1 hour ago, LvR Mike said:

All you have to do is take a road trip or make a friend in

North Carolina,

South Carolina,

or Georgia,

I believe.

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

All you have to do is take a road trip or make a friend in

North Carolina,

South Carolina,

or Georgia,

I believe.

Who's from North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia on here?

A little about myself: I'm friendly, I like to see you succeed, and I'm willing to pay my bottle, your bottle, and shipping too. Who wants to be my friend?

Am I doing this right?

13 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I love Elijah Craig.   I did not love this, which is strange because , from what I've read, it shares the same mashbill as Rittenhouse and Pikesville ryes.    It's a little too sweet for my taste buds.   

I stopped by one of my favorite LS, ostensibly for Luxardo cherries, but couldn't bring myself to leave without a bottle.

My hand was wavering between this, the high rye bourbon, and the wheated bourbon.  With a lot of self control,  I picked up the standard rye offering.  I really want a bottle of the 10 year Barrel Proof but, for $25.99, I'll give it a try.

20210329_130547.jpg

• I like it 1

Well..I couldn't wait, so I broke my "no alcohol during the week" rule,(well, it is more of a guideline really), and poured a small glass.  

I'm impressed. It drinks a little hotter than its proof, which is a good thing. I'm, unabashedly,  a fan of MGP juice.  It's young, flavorful,  and not as thin as I thought it would be. Picking up just enough sweetness and surprisingly balanced.

I see this one being in the regular rotation. Now I need to snag a bottle of the 10 year barrel strength,  which I love.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I love Elijah Craig.   I did not love this, which is strange because , from what I've read, it shares the same mashbill as Rittenhouse and Pikesville ryes.    It's a little too sweet for my taste buds.   

The 3 do seem more like cousins or 2nd cousins, not siblings.  I find the EC Rye very enjoyable but certainly not like a great premium.  I definitely prefer the EC Rye over current standard EC.

8 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Who's from North Carolina, South Carolina, or Georgia on here?... Am I doing this right?

I wouldn't worry too much, I suspect country will be flooded with it before too long.  There's lots of other excellent ryes to try in the meantime.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.