What rye are you drinking or purchased in 2021

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I love Elijah Craig.   I did not love this, which is strange because , from what I've read, it shares the same mashbill as Rittenhouse and Pikesville ryes.    It's a little too sweet for my taste buds.   

I'll agree that it's not anywhere near as good as pikesville.

I liked the EC rye because it was a bit different, but I won't be chasing any more down unless I happened to find myself out east again someday.  I'm glad I got to try it and enjoyed drinking one bottle of it.

• I like it 1

So my favorite manager is leaving for greener pastures. And is a bit of a whiskey guy. I figure this counts as a special occasion, so I went to the bunker. Tomorrow I intend to share this with my dude and anyone else he wants to have a sip with, then the rest goes home with him. I figure we don't have a what almost rye did you gift forum, so I'll just put this here.

IMG_20210330_215841.jpg

• I like it 6

Kentucky Owl: Batch 3. It's good and all but I feel like I can find a just as cool rye for half the price... or cheaper

72EF7E75-1A12-4F03-A16B-F1191938CDA0.jpeg

This latest russell's reserve sib rye is super off profile to me. It still has some characteristics of what I'd expect from them but is almost overwhelmingly oaky. A splash of water makes it visibly fracture, and helps it open up a lot. Ultimately though if this was a blind pour, I'd think it was something ultra aged. I guess a non age stated sib bottle can have an older barrel find it's way in but this one is bordering on the edge of rediculous.

IMG_20210401_182624.jpg

I recently rocked a bottle of Big Red Rossville Union Rye.  Picked up another today.  Big Red recently started clearly out some of their store picks of Rossville Union Rye for $24.99.  It is MGP 4-6 years old with different blends - sweet, spicy, and savory.  I have found the sweet which is 51/49 compared to the standard MGP 95/5 to be stellar.  It is like a high rye bourbon, sweet yet spicy.  For whatever reason, these "closeout" bottles are lingering on the shelf.  I will grab another bottle or two.  They scratch the bourbon and rye itch at the same time.

• I like it 2

Old Forester 100 rye.  Maybe the most balanced and complex American whiskey out there for under 25 dollars a bottle.

• I like it 5

I didn't set out to pour such a variety of rye whiskies tonight but the progression just seemed natural. Next up is a private barrel pick Whistlepig 15 year and dare I say yes it's a solid step up from even the Kentucky Owl rye, at least tonight.  Of course the WP15 is finished, so not a straight up fight.  But still.  Just an incredible rye whiskey, from the nose all the way through to the long finish.

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I didn't set out to pour such a variety of rye whiskies tonight but the progression just seemed natural. 

Understood K. Same here with bourbons. You start out with a pour, then one thing leads to another. Pretty soon you’re climbing the proverbial ladder. 🥴

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 3/31/2021 at 8:37 PM, LvR Mike said:

Kentucky Owl: Batch 3. It's good and all but I feel like I can find a just as cool rye for half the price... or cheaper

72EF7E75-1A12-4F03-A16B-F1191938CDA0.jpeg

I really liked #3.  I had it at a tasting and found myself carrying around the empty glass just sniffing on it all night.

I bought one bottle and enjoyed the heck out of it.

Yeah, it's expensive.

But it sure was good too.

13 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Understood K. Same here with bourbons. You start out with a pour, then one thing leads to another. Pretty soon you’re climbing the proverbial ladder. 🥴

Biba! Joe

It sure is fun climbing the ladder. 😉

• I like it 1

So despite telling myself I wasn't going to buy anything this weekend... What can I say. I really like the stuff. I'll probably go back for more when the budget replenishes. Hope there are still some on the shelves. I am super glad that a second wave of the 11 year hit. I was down to only a couple.

IMG_20210403_131122.jpg

• I like it 2

30 minutes ago, Mattk said:

So despite telling myself I wasn't going to buy anything this weekend... What can I say. I really like the stuff. I'll probably go back for more when the budget replenishes. Hope there are still some on the shelves. I am super glad that a second wave of the 11 year hit. I was down to only a couple.

IMG_20210403_131122.jpg

on my way over...

😁🥃

• I like it 2

On 4/3/2021 at 1:12 AM, 0895 said:

I really liked #3.  I had it at a tasting and found myself carrying around the empty glass just sniffing on it all night.

I bought one bottle and enjoyed the heck out of it.

Yeah, it's expensive.

But it sure was good too.

There's nothing wrong with it and if I was with someone that's iffy on Rye's, I would pour them this and watch their delight. But I don't see myself going out to hunt another one down until after it's gone.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:47 PM, Kepler said:

Old Forester 100 rye.  Maybe the most balanced and complex American whiskey out there for under 25 dollars a bottle.

This is one of our favorites, especially at that price point.  The OF 100 bourbon is a great bargain too.

• I like it 3

I picked up 2 ryes yesterday. A Whistlepig PS just shy of 110 proof, but the real gem though was the second bottle. A 750 of WT 101 rye for $23! Yahtzee!

• I like it 3

Like, I never do this, but decided to start with a rye today.  

DF9C7A16-4D39-4EDC-B18C-45C5F8157098.jpeg

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Rye not?  Haven’t tried that one yet. How is it?

10 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Rye not?  Haven’t tried that one yet. How is it?

Rye not, exactly!  😁. It’s nice.  In the range of flavor styles of rye, this is squarely in the pepper spicy category.   Similar to what I get in WT ryes.  No baking spiciness and just a touch of mint.  While a nice change up while drunk* neat, I really like these KC ryes in cocktails as they firmly hold their ground when jumbled with the other fixins’.  

*drunk or drank?  15 minutes looking it up, and I’m still not sure...This is almost as bad as affect and effect...🤪

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Joe, if you like this try Old Overholt Bonded too. 👍

Maybe I just haven't been paying attention but I saw a WT101 Rye in 750 ml size for the first time since they brought back the 101 in Liter size only a few years ago.  The price was excellent so I went ahead and picked it up. 

Edited by Kepler
typo, can't type tonight
  • I like it 1

On 4/7/2021 at 3:02 PM, CUfan99 said:

I picked up 2 ryes yesterday. A Whistlepig PS just shy of 110 proof, but the real gem though was the second bottle. A 750 of WT 101 rye for $23! Yahtzee!

Just saw your 101 750ml pickup.  Me too. Ok so they are out there.  Same price I paid! 👍 🦃

• I like it 1

Had a small pour of WT Rye SiB. This bottle is just right for me.  Nearing the end of the bottle, wish I had another from the same barrel. 

Cheers. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.