What rye are you drinking or purchased in 2021

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was at my local today and the owner was having me try various barrel samples he had in and there was a very interesting one.

Balcones Rye with chocolate malt in the mashbill. No idea of proof, age or full mashbill but it wasn't bad. You could really taste the chocolate malt on the finish. Not something I'd likely buy a bottle of but an interesting experiment.

• I like it 1

I’ve heard some good things about this, and my curiosity got the better of me today.

From the folks at Barrell.

Blend of cask strength rye from IN, KY, and TN? according to the label.

2A78B225-1572-4226-BB84-BFF2E33476A3.jpeg

• I like it 1

22 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I’ve heard some good things about this, and my curiosity got the better of me today.

Me too, but I sprang for the bourbon version myself.  I haven't opened my bourbon bottle yet, but looking forward to it because I'm a fan of Barrell bourbon blends. 

Looking forward to your impressions of the rye as well.

Moving from MM FAE bourbon over to rye now for the remainder of the evening.

Just poured from an open bottle of my favorite WP store pick yet.  The unusually strong notes from this barrel of bubble gum are really singing tonight even more than usual.  Maybe I need to start off with a MM every time before going to this bottle.

• I like it 1

WT Rare Breed Rye, tonight.  There’s a really nice old timey hard candy note coming through that is really nice.  

• I like it 2

On 8/3/2021 at 9:54 PM, smokinjoe said:

WT Rare Breed Rye, tonight.  There’s a really nice old timey hard candy note coming through that is really nice.  

I just picked up another myself. Seems like if I buy one every time I see them it keeps one or two in the bunker.

Edited by Mattk
  • I like it 2

Michter's Toasted Barrel Rye this Friday Eve.  It has been a very nice and easy drinking bottle that I hope to replace one day.

• I like it 2

Nice blend and an ABV that suits me well. What it loses in drama it makes up in complexity.

IMG_6488.thumb.jpg.dc4da06198dbddfe1ef91890cb8aa516.jpg

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Nice blend and an ABV that suits me well. What it loses in drama it makes up in complexity.

IMG_6488.thumb.jpg.dc4da06198dbddfe1ef91890cb8aa516.jpg

I am glad it has some complexity but this mystery blend from 4 states and 5 distilleries at relative low proof (under 100 proof) does nothing to peak my interest at the MSRP of $55. Or anywhere above the cost of the variety of ryes that are out there today (like Old Forester for example).

11 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I am glad it has some complexity but this mystery blend from 4 states and 5 distilleries at relative low proof (under 100 proof) does nothing to peak my interest at the MSRP of $55. Or anywhere above the cost of the variety of ryes that are out there today (like Old Forester for example).

Here are the distilleries:

MGP 

Middle West  (Ohio)

Kentucky Artisan 

New York Distilling Co. 

13 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Sorry Bruce, no offense intended. 

• I like it 1

On 7/31/2021 at 9:42 PM, 0895 said:

According to a local distributor the bourbon and rye are the same products they use for Barrell, but a little younger.  The single barrels are straight MGP though.

• I like it 1

On 8/8/2021 at 3:40 PM, Marekv8 said:

Sorry Bruce, no offense intended. 

No offense taken! Just not my cup of tea. Or whiskey!

On 8/8/2021 at 1:42 PM, flahute said:

Here are the distilleries:

MGP 

Middle West  (Ohio)

Kentucky Artisan 

New York Distilling Co. 

Pretty sure that does nothing to sway my opinion! Even with Jim Rutledge's name on the bottle. 

Of course if someone else is pouring I will happily give it a try to see if it would change my opinion! 😎

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Pretty sure that does nothing to sway my opinion! Even with Jim Rutledge's name on the bottle. 

My exact thought too.  😄

I've noticed several NDP companies lately bottling a vat from three or four different states.  I'm not saying the result is necessarily good or bad.  It just seems we're running out of gimmicks to justify price.  Whatever is new, one brand does it, then several others follow. :wacko:

• I like it 1

So I've got a stellum rye in glass atm, having skipped over my sp ry3. And through this mild thunderstorm It is doing me well. Nice and easy on the front with enough if a tingle to remind you it's a work night. I don't mind a blend of sourced if it's as good as this. FWIW I wanted to find fault with this bottle, some unknown reason. But I can't, and will be keeping one on my shelf as long as it's convenient.

Edited by Mattk
  • I like it 1

I had a pour of Jefferson's Ocean Rye at a friend's house last night. Pretty tasty stuff. I got a hint of green apples in it.

Another summer storm just moved thru

Time to open some Old Forester 1920.  Probably not going to be a late night....

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Fryeday pour of WT Rye.  

75F3EC4A-901B-4BE3-844A-D005654153C0.jpeg

I guess the imprint of the turkey on this new bottle is nice???

But the new label is definitely a genuine turkey for me!

Edited by tanstaafl2

On 8/13/2021 at 9:09 AM, ebo said:

I had a pour of Jefferson's Ocean Rye at a friend's house last night. Pretty tasty stuff. I got a hint of green apples in it.

I asked my friend where he got this because I couldn't find it anywhere. It seems he told me wrong... it was Jefferson's Straight Rye...lol.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.