What rye are you drinking or purchased in 2021

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, n811 said:

I suck at tasting notes, but I'd definitely agree with this.  The last MGP rye I had was Dickel, and that had a lot of very bright, brash youth coming through.  Roulette has a much fuller flavor - the dill is muted, and in its place are things like cherry, leather, and barrel char.  Speculation of course, but I doubt this would be pegged as MGP 95/5 blind.  Reminds me a bit of the older SAOS Rye but with the dill dialed back a touch.  For $24 its a high-reward purchase in my book - give it a try if you find it. 

I like what Proof & Wood are releasing (only tried Roulette and Representative so far, but both are great).  

Sounds interesting for the price!  

Edited by mbroo5880i

18 hours ago, n811 said:

I suck at tasting notes, but I'd definitely agree with this.  The last MGP rye I had was Dickel, and that had a lot of very bright, brash youth coming through.  Roulette has a much fuller flavor - the dill is muted, and in its place are things like cherry, leather, and barrel char.  Speculation of course, but I doubt this would be pegged as MGP 95/5 blind.  Reminds me a bit of the older SAOS Rye but with the dill dialed back a touch.  For $24 its a high-reward purchase in my book - give it a try if you find it. 

I like what Proof & Wood are releasing (only tried Roulette and Representative so far, but both are great).  

Nice job on your notes— I just wish P&W would do away with the cumbersome wax. 

Managed to get a HW MWND this year. Wasn't really looking for it but when it just falls in your lap it seems rude not to take it! Shared it with a friend and we managed to do some damage to it over the Thanksgiving holiday! But it felt like it needed a friend for a little comparison so I broke out a bottle of the Act 1 MWND from the original release just to see if there was any difference of note. Both bottles were opened for the first time together. 

1140946358_image2-Copy(2).jpeg.aa8462fae8d2af61c732e00b4b64804d.jpeg1838745956_image1-Copy(3).jpeg.344fb292007e1e65a54d26cbb3e26ecc.jpeg67452628_image0-Copy(4).jpeg.255a3b05415a60a6ad42ceb73a43da4f.jpeg

Not surprisingly the older bottling was the favorite. Tasted like a much more mature whiskey made up the base of it which seems almost certainly to be  the case.

So not likely to hunt for more MWND at least until I run out of what I still have (which is fortunately several bottles!). Of course if it just falls into my lap again...

Although with it costing nearly 50% more for what seems like an inferior version of the original release maybe not.

• I like it 6

Sagemore Rye 6 year 110 proof barrel select.  1st sip distinctive rye.  almost zero complexity, not surprising for mere 6 year but often even white dog rye can deliver fantastic notes.  It is easy to sip for 110 proof.  Not much after taste, just reminiscent of fore taste.  Paid $60.  I'd only give $30 at most for 2nd bottle.  Whoops, I did it again.  I've been exploring MGP lately and finding most come up way short if from a 2ndary label.  Dickel Rye is a great value.  But given Templeton as the prime example, most labels using MGP are all hype and no quality.

For quality, Sagemore does have nice bottle.  Thick base.  Good shape for handhold, but a little tipsy, especially if you're tipsy.

MGP can produce good material.  I'm looking for more Remus Repeal V.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

so I broke out a bottle of the Act 1 MWND from the original release 

1838745956_image1-Copy(3).jpeg.344fb292007e1e65a54d26cbb3e26ecc.jpeg

Holy Crap!

Thanks for posting.

Never seen a bottle of act one.

I started with 2 and quit buying after 5, for the reasons you mentioned.

I was truly wondering if there were any act ones still in existence.

The mrs. is a MWND junkie, she thought it was neat as well.

🥰

1 minute ago, B.B. Babington said:

...But given Templeton as the prime example, most labels using MGP are all hype and no quality...

Okay to halfway backtrack, when Templeton 1st came out I liked it; it was pretty good though the price tag high for the product.  Label gave all kinds of hype about how they wre in house reproducing prohibition era drink.  And then they were sued, if memeory serves correct, and then class action suit, it ya bought a bottle you could get a piece due to false advertising.

8 minutes ago, 0895 said:

This whiskey just gets better and better.  I think it’s exponentially better than regular Sazerac.

4D20CF27-22E0-4C58-A28F-02A80FC894C4.jpeg

I'm not familiar with that label.  On the hunt as we speak.

1 hour ago, B.B. Babington said:

I'm not familiar with that label.  On the hunt as we speak.

“Go East young man”

• I like it 1

I'm enjoying a bit of WT 101 Rye tonight. I fell in love with this expression just over 15 years ago and have nearly always had a bottle open in the time since. I've had more exotic ryes, older ryes, higher-proof ryes, and certainly a few bottles that were better, but the ones that really offered a significant improvement over this whiskey were not easily replaced. As the 101 bourbon is, this is one of the most consistent expressions in the market, and I still love it.

• I like it 5

48 minutes ago, 0895 said:

“Go East young man”

Yeah, these can semi regularly be found in cases around the DC area. But we'll above what what I'm willing to pay.

On 12/2/2021 at 7:05 PM, B.B. Babington said:

Sagemore Rye 6 year 110 proof barrel select.  1st sip distinctive rye.  almost zero complexity, not surprising for mere 6 year but often even white dog rye can deliver fantastic notes.  It is easy to sip for 110 proof.  Not much after taste, just reminiscent of fore taste.  Paid $60.  I'd only give $30 at most for 2nd bottle.  Whoops, I did it again.  I've been exploring MGP lately and finding most come up way short if from a 2ndary label.  Dickel Rye is a great value.  But given Templeton as the prime example, most labels using MGP are all hype and no quality.

For quality, Sagemore does have nice bottle.  Thick base.  Good shape for handhold, but a little tipsy, especially if you're tipsy.

MGP can produce good material.  I'm looking for more Remus Repeal V.

I like Rossville which is the MGP house brand rye.  However, unless you find it on sale, it is overpriced for what your get.  I found several rye blend bottles that were great.  They were on close out between $20-25 at one store otherwise I would have never tried them at the regular price which was around $40.  There are too many other great options available between $20 and $40.

23 hours ago, TBoner said:

I'm enjoying a bit of WT 101 Rye tonight. I fell in love with this expression just over 15 years ago and have nearly always had a bottle open in the time since. I've had more exotic ryes, older ryes, higher-proof ryes, and certainly a few bottles that were better, but the ones that really offered a significant improvement over this whiskey were not easily replaced. As the 101 bourbon is, this is one of the most consistent expressions in the market, and I still love it.

One of my favorites because it is great and, as you say, consistent.  It disappeared for a few years in my area (Indy) but return in 2020.  Interestingly, stores stock 750 ml bottles ($24) next to 1 liter bottles ($42) on the shelf.  I don't question the logic, I just pick up the 750 ml bottle and walk away with a smile.

• I like it 1

On 12/2/2021 at 7:13 PM, 0895 said:

This whiskey just gets better and better.  I think it’s exponentially better than regular Sazerac.

4D20CF27-22E0-4C58-A28F-02A80FC894C4.jpeg

Exponentially better than standard Sazerac Rye catches my attention.  For whatever reason, I have never been a fan of standard Sazerac Rye.  I want to be a fan but to this point haven't been.  I have never seen the BT Kosher bottles (bourbon or rye) in Indiana.  

3 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Exponentially better than standard Sazerac Rye catches my attention.  For whatever reason, I have never been a fan of standard Sazerac Rye.  I want to be a fan but to this point haven't been.  I have never seen the BT Kosher bottles (bourbon or rye) in Indiana.  

The kosher rye actually tastes (to me anyway) what THH should/would taste like if you proofed it down.

Sazerac rye doesn’t really give me that experience.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, 0895 said:

The kosher rye actually tastes (to me anyway) what THH should/would taste like if you proofed it down.

Sazerac rye doesn’t really give me that experience.

You are selling me on it.  I will have to keep a look out for it.

• I like it 1

On 12/3/2021 at 8:52 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I started with Kosher Bourbon. Found it to be pretty pedestrian at best so never pursued the rye. Not hunting for much of anything these days so I suppose I will have to depend on the kindness of strangers to be able to try some.

Or SB.com members but we are kind of strange so basically the same thing! 😎)

• I like it 1

Man this 2018 Still 630 Rye is soooo good. I've said it before, but you could put this stuff in a THH bottle and no one would question it. I've got a 20 and 21 as well but they don't quite stack up to this one.  Still good but missing that wow factor that 18 has.

20211205_203305.jpg

• I like it 3

Started with a pour of 17 rendezvous. Then though what the heck and had a 15 as well. Finishing off with a midwinter's 9.2. all in all a nice couple of sips after dinner. Which was a ribeye topped with smoked gruyere and peppers. The midwinter's is so good it might not make it much longer.

IMG_20211206_192339.jpg

IMG_20211206_193947.jpg

IMG_20211206_201452.jpg

• I like it 4

The 1792 SW was simply not working tonight so I switched to something with a lot more boldness.

JD SiB BP rye.  This is working a lot better.  Plus it's Fryeday after all.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

Finishing up the night with Michter's barrel strength rye from 2015, and the White album playing on the stereo.   Great combination...

• I like it 3

It's already been a crazy weekend.  Started last night a Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian Steakhouse, in Indy.  My wife and I were invited to a friend's company Christmas party.  He has a small but very successful company so he invited a few of his friends and spouses to join them.  There is a motorsports convention in town so it was packed but a great time!  Followed up today with the ISO Yuletide Celebration which is a family tradition.  Followed up by a nice dinner in Carmel with family and friends who attended the Yuletide with us.  Tomorrow is another busy day with plans to attend the Christkindlmarket in Carmel.  Not quite like the Chicago or European versions but very well attended and continuing to grow.

Winding down the intermission on our weekend with a couple of nice pours from a very good FRSiB.  The initial pour was a touchdown before I even reached the end zone.  The second pour was a touchdown before I even poured it. 😀

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.