Colonel E.H. Taylor Straight Rye

WNCcraig
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I wouldn’t pay $1 over msrp for CEHT Rye. It’s a good rye, but not great. I’d rather have WT Rare Breed Rye, RR Rye or Pikesville to be honest.

• I like it 3

i paid 64 for one i got a few weeks ago from a small store I had never been to in a small town, but when I see it in these parts, it's 80-84.

I’ll be devil’s advocate here and say that I hate it, regardless of price.

I walked away at $55 here and I’ll keep walking away.

Don’t even send me your free sample.

Just not my thing I guess.

• I like it 1

Thanks guys, it will possibly be an over spend but nice to add to the collection I guess of tries..... Thanks  I am heading to KY next week to work, so what bottles should i try to locate.  i will be in ownesburg, Hopkinsville and henderson

2 hours ago, WNCcraig said:

Just picked up a bottle for $185, was that a good buy or over pay?

Thanks

Craig

If you made the choice to purchase it at that price it is oblivious it was worth it to you.  Or did someone force you to pay for it?

• I like it 1

57 minutes ago, WNCcraig said:

Thanks guys, it will possibly be an over spend but nice to add to the collection I guess of tries..... Thanks  I am heading to KY next week to work, so what bottles should i try to locate.  i will be in ownesburg, Hopkinsville and henderson

What you should try to locate totally depends on what you like, what your budget is, and what you don’t have access to wherever you live. Personally when traveling I look for barrel picks of Four Roses, Russell’s Reserve, Knob Creek, etc. these days. The odds of finding super high end limited products just by looking around in KY are over. 

Drink what you like and work within whatever your budget is. I wouldn’t pay that much for EHT rye but I live in an area where EHT are a little more available than some other areas.

Enjoy your visit to KY. Some people stress about finding certain whiskey but there’s plenty of high quality stuff available these days and it doesn’t have to be a limited release to be good. It’s supposed to be fun anyways 

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, WNCcraig said:

I would say, hit some of the big stores and get anything interesting you can't buy locally.  I have two caveats.  1.) Pass on the 80 proof brands.  There are a lot of them in KY.  

2.) Be an informed and cautious consumer of non distiller producer brands.  There are a lot of those too.  Some are worth trying.  Others (many) are just a fancy label (big mark up $, not worth it).

I really appreciate the comments, still new to this and still trying to figure out what I really like in terms of make up of the different bourbons.  My limited tastings show that not a huge fan of WR or ER, even some of the older stuff and single barrel is good but I don't like it as much as some of the BT brands and even the WT higher end brands.  Whos knows where I will fall into, the fun thing is that there still so many i haven't even tried. 

• I like it 3

$185 is way too much for that rye. Even retail is too much.

However, all of us have paid too much for something in order to scratch an itch. It's part of the journey. 

You'll do this a few more times until you get to a point where you know what you like, and there will be a lot that you like, that is regularly available and reasonably priced.

When this happens you'll stop taking chances on high priced bottles that you are unfamiliar with. 

• I like it 8

I have not tried this as it is really hard to find at a good price. Pikesville has been my favorite Rye so far.

• I like it 1

On 1/16/2021 at 7:54 AM, WNCcraig said:

I really appreciate the comments, still new to this and still trying to figure out what I really like in terms of make up of the different bourbons.  My limited tastings show that not a huge fan of WR or ER, even some of the older stuff and single barrel is good but I don't like it as much as some of the BT brands and even the WT higher end brands.  Whos knows where I will fall into, the fun thing is that there still so many i haven't even tried. 

I will just throw out this extra piece of unsolicited advice. When you’re going to be trying quite a few different things that are new to you, tasting them side by side is very helpful, and in a perfect world, side by side blind is the very best thing you can do, to find out what you really like. It’s very easy to be biased (I like everything from this producer better than everything from that producer, older or more expensive always means better, I only drink bourbon over or under a certain proof, etc.). Side by side blind tells the truth, and sometimes you’ll surprise yourself and find out you really like something easy to find, or something really affordable. Enjoy the process

• I like it 4

3 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I will just throw out this extra piece of unsolicited advice. When you’re going to be trying quite a few different things that are new to you, tasting them side by side is very helpful, and in a perfect world, side by side blind is the very best thing you can do, to find out what you really like. It’s very easy to be biased (I like everything from this producer better than everything from that producer, older or more expensive always means better, I only drink bourbon over or under a certain proof, etc.). Side by side blind tells the truth, and sometimes you’ll surprise yourself and find out you really like something easy to find, or something really affordable. Enjoy the process

Great advice that I wish I would have had early in my journey!

• 2 weeks later...

The conundrum I am currently tussling with in my journey is if I purchase bottles such as the example in the OP at 60% markup over average pricing found via a quick search (b/c I just have to have it), is that contributing to the overall gouging problem?  This is no direct opinion towards the OP, just a simple observation.  If someone is willing to pay $185 for a bottle that averages $75 nationwide, than that supports the retailer who put it on their shelf at that price.  Until the hype settles down a little and people simply refuse to pay these markups, I think there is way to go.  

How was the juice?

On 1/19/2021 at 9:25 AM, BottledInBond said:

This.  All of this.  If there were any bit of wisdom I'd wished to have been imparted upon me prior to beginning my journey, it's this.  Well said, BiB.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2021 at 5:54 PM, WNCcraig said:

Just picked up a bottle for $185, was that a good buy or over pay?

Thanks

Craig

I saw one at $200 once... once. I see bottles like this and think I need to get it or I'll never seen it again. Especially in my area, I feel. A day later I went back and it was gone. Did I mess up? How was it?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.