A historically correct rye/bourbon glass?

iyiyi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 5/26/2021 at 3:49 PM, iyiyi said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread. Have bought a few glasses but still searching for some more. Would you guys say an 8oz/9oz rocks glass is a pretty standard size (for a non-double). I really don't like the large (12oz and up) glasses. I only drink my Whiskey neat. 

Also, the https://www.pre-pro.com website seams to only show advertising glasses. Were most of the glasses back then for advertising? The site also doesn't list the ounces size. Just curious what a typical whiskey glass would have looked like pre prohibition 

Here's what I use when not using a StraightBourbon Glencairn, it is a Bormioli "Bach" 8.5 OZ. water glass (uh, scroll down as the pic is lifter from the internet and is "odd")  3.5" high by 3" diameter, nice thick base -

2103678790_BormioliBach8ouncewaterglass.jpg.d82d3e581ea8050c2b1241be8d06d416.jpg

The set I bought per the post a page back are great espresso glasses, but unremarkable whiskey glasses. The glass is too thick and not well designed for capturing aroma. Don't recommend.

As much as I have never minded using the cheap, kid-friendly, Ikea Godis glasses we have in the kitchen, I do need a few more glasses in the basement. I am looking for something in the 6-8 ounce range, and with flat sides to contrast with the Glencairn experience. 

I am going to try the thrift store route and see if I can get lucky. I would rather mix it up and have a few options to experiment with rather than buy a full set at this time.

• I like it 1

25 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

I am going to try the thrift store route and see if I can get lucky. I would rather mix it up and have a few options to experiment with rather than buy a full set at this time.

That sounds like a good plan.

• I like it 1

I just bought a couple sets of these 9.25oz Bormioli glasses for a party I'm having on Thursday.  It will be the biggest get together here in well over a year and I thought it was worthy some new glasses.  It is what I would call an old fashioned glass and I like the resemblance to a traditional Sazerac glass which is a glass with a lot of history.  I think a standard whiskey/rye glass should be able to accommodate ice if the drinker wants it.  That distinguishes it from a tasting glass like a Glencairn.   Although you can always put ice into a Glencairn very carefully.  These glasses come in a smaller 6.75 oz size which I think would be even better for whiskey.  13 bucks for six on Amazon.

IMG_7325.thumb.jpg.cb9d8dfdb1f73fd112497e7aa7c2b1bf.jpg

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 1

On 5/30/2021 at 10:50 PM, PaulO said:

My word, that's quite the pour there. 🤩

LOL.  To be clear, that's a Manhattan.  I thought the cherry at the bottom of the glass would give it away.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I didn't see mention of the Bourbon Trail glasses. Anyone prefer those? I seem to gravitate towards those over my Glencairn glasses. 

I guess to me there's a mental image correlation between bourbon and the shape of a glass which I'm not even really sure how to verbalize. I guess my subconscious says bourbon is "big, smooth, with a lot going on" and the glass should reflect that. Nothing against Glencairn glasses, but, to me, the narrowness of the glass generally just doesn't 'match' the contents of the glass. I know it's designed to accentuate the nose, etc., I just find myself reaching for the Bourbon Trail glasses the most.....maybe at the cost of a better nose...? 

1625271125350.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.