What foreign whiskey/whisky are you drinking 2021?

Harry in WashDC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/4/2021 at 5:42 PM, Marekv8 said:

91889-13129.jpg.0e4bfb17dd4cbcc212ef5f1e78807ee2.jpg

Had to get one and give it a try. I may have been drunk by the time I opened it but it's crazy easy to drink. Not finding all the peat I wanted but for a bottom shelf whiskey, it will probably always be on my shelf.

9ECF61E2-4C2D-41A2-9194-31B727CBED76.jpeg

• I like it 1

First pour - for a young whisky this is rather good. Lots of tropical notes, a good pinch of peat and smoke, a spicy but not overpowering finish that lingers, very good. 

I shall leave it there for notes until the bottle develops. 

20210307_211153.jpg

• I like it 1

Had to crack open a Redbreast 12yr CS for some accelerating raisin soaking in fine Irish, and couldn't resist a short pour (isn't that how it works when cooking - some for the dish, some for the chef?  Consider this prep part of the whole baking process :) )

• I like it 2

On 3/7/2021 at 3:22 PM, beasled said:

First pour - for a young whisky this is rather good. Lots of tropical notes, a good pinch of peat and smoke, a spicy but not overpowering finish that lingers, very good. 

I shall leave it there for notes until the bottle develops. 

20210307_211153.jpg

Great to hear. My bottle just arrived (along with some friends)-- surprisingly easy and affordable to obtain in the States.

IMG_5896.thumb.jpg.3f37c882a2a1a9590b1b8dcd9b3c2984.jpg

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Great to hear. My bottle just arrived (along with some friends)-- surprisingly easy and affordable to obtain in the States.

IMG_5896.thumb.jpg.3f37c882a2a1a9590b1b8dcd9b3c2984.jpg

It had quite a big release, 32k bottles. Our allocation was a bit slim at 3200 i think. 

I'm on the Lagavulin tonight. 

20210309_223410.jpg

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, beasled said:

It had quite a big release, 32k bottles. Our allocation was a bit slim at 3200 i think. 

I'm on the Lagavulin tonight. 

20210309_223410.jpg

How does the double maturation change the taste/experience for you? Did you SBS it to another Lagavulin?

1 hour ago, LvR Mike said:

How does the double maturation change the taste/experience for you? Did you SBS it to another Lagavulin?

It's been a while since I had the standard 16 but this double maturation (or is it a finish..?) adds a rich berry jam/preserve note to it, so it's like smokey jam! It's enjoyable but I'm not quite convinced the premium is earned over the standard 16, personally. 

I found this for £75, where they are usually £85-90ish. I wouldn't pay £90 for it, not when the standard is around £50 here. 

Cheers!

• I like it 1

On 2/27/2021 at 12:09 AM, PaulO said:

Today I picked up Langs Full and Smoky 46% blended Scotch.  First pour and my reaction is positive.  At 92 proof, it's a bit more substantial compared to some other blends.  I'll try it a couple times before I come up with too many adjectives.  

OK, now on the last pour.  Probably the best way I can describe this is - like a higher proof, more robust version of the standard Famous Grouse.  I'm getting some of the smoke now.

2 hours ago, beasled said:

Loving this. 

20210312_221312.jpg

I need to join you in the UK if we're out here pouring up all the hitters.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I need to join you in the UK if we're out here pouring up all the hitters.

Any other time I'd say come on over! haha

Bruichladdich are certainly hitting the spot for me! Can't wait to try more of their stuff. 

Cheers

• I like it 1

Y’all know I’m not big on scotch, but this is very very very good. so thick and such a oily long lasting sweetness. I would buy another if I come across one. 
A9B2C316-0707-4CAC-9A94-CB01E6CE1532.thumb.jpeg.602d1338f4ae315eec4fac3d821c3830.jpeg

• I like it 2

I had to join the Bruichladdich party and bring out the Octomore 09.3. This was the first expensive bottle I bought (I view anything over $100 as "expensive") and I have no regrets.

6E59F6B7-AEA0-41A9-95EC-51B676A5CC38.jpeg

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

I had to join the Bruichladdich party and bring out the Octomore 09.3. This was the first expensive bottle I bought (I view anything over $100 as "expensive") and I have no regrets.

6E59F6B7-AEA0-41A9-95EC-51B676A5CC38.jpeg

Yet to try any Octomore myself, I need to change that some time! 

9 hours ago, beasled said:

Yet to try any Octomore myself, I need to change that some time! 

I'll bring over both of the ones I have once this coivd thing gets resolved. Party across the pond, for sure.

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

I'll bring over both of the ones I have once this coivd thing gets resolved. Party across the pond, for sure.

I won't blame you if the bottles finish before Covid does..!

As has been my annual custom, I wanted to buy and open another bottle of Redbreast 12 CS in honor of St. Patrick and couldn't find one anywhere locally or in my bunker boxes.  

Doing the best I can to honor his legacy today; by getting as close as possible, just a whistle across the Irish Channel, to the Kintyre peninsula with a dram of Hazelburn 10 and Springbank 10.  These two staples are over half-gone, but replacements have already been secured.  

Slàinte mhath!!  

• I like it 2

Started off my last Zoom call of the day with a Guinness in a chilled pint glass, followed by a few pours of Slane (which is my favorite 'value' Irish at $25 a bottle), then moved to a pour or Redbreast 12yr CS - and despite it being a school night, reached for the Blue Spot 7yr CS.  Happy St. Paddys Day SB!  If I'm late to work tomorrow - I'll just blame traffic :lol:

• I like it 2

RB cask strength for the ‘win’ tonight.  

May God bless St. Paddy, and good night!

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, GaryT said:

Started off my last Zoom call of the day with a Guinness in a chilled pint glass, followed by a few pours of Slane (which is my favorite 'value' Irish at $25 a bottle), then moved to a pour or Redbreast 12yr CS - and despite it being a school night, reached for the Blue Spot 7yr CS.  Happy St. Paddys Day SB!  If I'm late to work tomorrow - I'll just blame traffic :lol:

I had another snort of the Blue Spot last night too.  Wifey and I followed up with some Bailey's over ice. 

• I like it 1

Bought the Redbreast a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it so much I bought the cask strength today. I've read several posts here  endorsing the cask strength so I'm about to have a pour

Cheers,

Ed

20210321_151800.jpg

Edited by Edd
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, Edd said:

Bought the Redbreast a couple of days ago. I enjoyed it so much I bought the cask strength today. I've read several posts here  endorsing the cask strength so I'm about to have a pour

Cheers,

Ed

20210321_151800.jpg

Redbreast 12 yr CS remains my favorite 'accessible' Irish - hands down.

Although last night - killed an 'inaccessible' bottle - one I filled from directly from the cask at Teeling during a trip to Ireland in 2018.  One of the best Irish whiskies I've had - 9 yr old matured in port.  Wish I would have bought a 2nd one to bring home, but love seeing more cask strength Irish hitting the states :) 

Teeling_bottle_kill.thumb.jpg.3f7f9b5229b7e818d7c3ca9bddd38686.jpg

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Redbreast 12 yr CS remains my favorite 'accessible' Irish - hands down.

Although last night - killed an 'inaccessible' bottle - one I filled from directly from the cask at Teeling during a trip to Ireland in 2018.  One of the best Irish whiskies I've had - 9 yr old matured in port.  Wish I would have bought a 2nd one to bring home, but love seeing more cask strength Irish hitting the states :) 

Teeling_bottle_kill.thumb.jpg.3f7f9b5229b7e818d7c3ca9bddd38686.jpg

Would love to try that someday. I'm a big fan of the Teeling single grain

Edited by Edd

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.