What foreign whiskey/whisky are you drinking 2021?

Harry in WashDC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

Redbreast 12 yr CS remains my favorite 'accessible' Irish - hands down.

Although last night - killed an 'inaccessible' bottle - one I filled from directly from the cask at Teeling during a trip to Ireland in 2018.  One of the best Irish whiskies I've had - 9 yr old matured in port.  Wish I would have bought a 2nd one to bring home, but love seeing more cask strength Irish hitting the states :) 

Teeling_bottle_kill.thumb.jpg.3f7f9b5229b7e818d7c3ca9bddd38686.jpg

Ouch.  Sorry to hear that, Country.  That was indeed, a great bottle.  I was privileged to have had a few pours from it.  👍🏻

• I like it 2

On 3/17/2021 at 6:59 PM, beasled said:

Polished off the Jameson Stout Cask finish. Cheers!

20210317_225457.jpg

This one is by far my favorite of the caskmates. Probably my favorite Jameson, really.

9 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

This one is by far my favorite of the caskmates. Probably my favorite Jameson, really.

It is rather exceptional for the price and the difference between it and the standard bottle is quite something. 

Not had the IPA cask but I can't say the sound of it appeals...

2 hours ago, beasled said:

It is rather exceptional for the price and the difference between it and the standard bottle is quite something. 

Do you have any thoughts on how the Stout Edition compares to the Black Barrel Jameson?

2 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Do you have any thoughts on how the Stout Edition compares to the Black Barrel Jameson?

Not had it I'm afraid. I can only say I found the stout edition to have more depth and flavour than the standard, in a roasty/sweet 'dark' note that you'd expect from stout without it being stouty, if that makes sense! 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, beasled said:

Some Campbeltown funk in the glass tonight. This is as good as ever. Cheers! 

20210322_203612~2.jpg

Always wanted to find a Springbank but the only ones I ever see is the 15 year and I'm not willing to jump that deep into the pool before testing the water first.

17 hours ago, beasled said:

Living in the greater Boston area and being surrounded by IPA's I thought I would love it... not at all. Feels like, to me, the whiskey and the IPA fight each other throughout the whole experience. The Stout and whiskey just compliment each other in such a harmonizing way.

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Always wanted to find a Springbank but the only ones I ever see is the 15 year and I'm not willing to jump that deep into the pool before testing the water first.

I prefer the 10 over the 15, personally. If you get to try it I would highly recommend it. 

8 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Living in the greater Boston area and being surrounded by IPA's I thought I would love it... not at all. Feels like, to me, the whiskey and the IPA fight each other throughout the whole experience. The Stout and whiskey just compliment each other in such a harmonizing way.

I thought this might be the case and I agree on the stout cask! 

It’s been a fucker of a week.  I’m calling it.  A Caldwell Midnight Express and some Tam O’Shanter are kicking the weekend off quite nicely.

BD03B8A3-79E5-4895-9208-0E5491E95A75.jpeg

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, BigRich said:

It’s been a fucker of a week.  I’m calling it.  A Caldwell Midnight Express and some Tam O’Shanter are kicking the weekend off quite nicely.

I'm unfamiliar with both but I do love the color of both as well. Cheers to the weekend.

Enjoying a pour of Three Ships 12. A cracking malt from South Africa, 12 years old, non chill filtered and natural colour, 46.3%, priced very fairly around the £43 mark. 

I've had a bottle of their 10 a few years back and it drank like a very lightly peated Clynelish and was awesome. This is rather different and more in the style of a light islay, like a Caol Ila. Briny, sweet, some creamy coconut notes in there. 

This has been a very decent bottle and I will be picking up some more. Cheers! 

20210327_210323~2.jpg

• I like it 1

Revisiting this. I am enjoying it in a young punchy sort of way. I'm not sure I would spend the same amount on another bottle again (though I do have another farm bottling in the bunker already). 

At the moment there seem to be just too many releases, I'm sure someone somewhere finds it all fascinating but its too pricey a hobby for me. I'd like to see them do some sample sets of 5 farms for the average Joe like me to compare them rather than shell out for a bottle but I guess that's the model. 

Cheers! 

20210331_200016~2.jpg

• I like it 1

On 3/26/2021 at 3:26 PM, BigRich said:

Love the Cutty Sark Tam O’Shanter-- it’s my annual Burns Night pour. It also sleeps in one of the heaviest boxes ever created.

17 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Love the Cutty Sark Tam O’Shanter-- it’s my annual Burns Night pour. It also sleeps in one of the heaviest boxes ever created.

No kidding.  I almost took out a bunker shelf full of bottles pulling it out. 

A bit of Tomatin 14 Port Cask tonight on the porch with some Jason Isbell and a cigar. Not a dram that I would’ve reach to buy but I’m appreciating the sample tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was going to wait to open this RB 27y, but I couldn’t help it. 
Such a thick creamy mouth full. It could be in may brain from all the red velvet colors on the box and bottle, but Red Velvet Cake is what I taste. The finish is where it’s at with this whiskey, it lingers. As a 27y should be , this is outstanding. 
845B48B5-794E-42F3-8130-8D1CAF9F17D5.thumb.jpeg.049ecf8aefe35f5d765c64b1fe15fc63.jpeg

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Well I was going to wait to open this RB 27y, but I couldn’t help it. 
Such a thick creamy mouth full. It could be in may brain from all the red velvet colors on the box and bottle, but Red Velvet Cake is what I taste. The finish is where it’s at with this whiskey, it lingers. As a 27y should be , this is outstanding. 
845B48B5-794E-42F3-8130-8D1CAF9F17D5.thumb.jpeg.049ecf8aefe35f5d765c64b1fe15fc63.jpeg

I love Redbreast but I'm not the biggest Sherry fan. How does this compare to a sherry finish?

On 4/17/2021 at 8:13 PM, LvR Mike said:

I love Redbreast but I'm not the biggest Sherry fan. How does this compare to a sherry finish?

I've never had the Sherry finish RB.  Im sure the sherry has some influence on this whiskey, but I dont taste it. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.