What foreign whiskey/whisky are you drinking 2021?

Harry in WashDC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Killing off this Black Bull 10. Its rather lovely as is but as its a scorcher of an evening I'm having it on the rocks where it is equally as grain heavy tasty. Cheers! 

20210613_203957.jpg

• I like it 2

accidentally bought 3.5 L Glenfiddich 12.  Good but not my favorite, now I've got to drink it.  I'm enjoying it tonight.  Getting more wood.  And some perfume notes, did I wash my glass from last night's brandy?  Which raises another concern.  I've been drinking lots of whisky and brandy lately; please do not alert the moderators or I might get tossed from this forum.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:15 PM, B.B. Babington said:

accidentally bought 3.5 L Glenfiddich 12.  Good but not my favorite, now I've got to drink it.  I'm enjoying it tonight.  Getting more wood.  And some perfume notes, did I wash my glass from last night's brandy?  Which raises another concern.  I've been drinking lots of whisky and brandy lately; please do not alert the moderators or I might get tossed from this forum.

3.5L?

We're keeping our eye on you! 🧐

• I like it 2

On 6/18/2021 at 3:15 AM, B.B. Babington said:

accidentally bought 3.5 L Glenfiddich 12.  

Pray tell... how?

I'm sipping on some Benriach 12. Not super complex but makes a fine post dinner pour before I move onto something with some chest hair. 

20210620_192733~2.jpg

On 6/20/2021 at 2:44 PM, beasled said:

Pray tell... how?   ...I'm sipping on some Benriach 12. Not super complex but makes a fine post dinner pour...

the long sordid story.  store had a super deal on glenfiddich 750.  Being the smart guy that I am, I went ahead and stocked up with 2.  Got home and realized I'd grabbed 1 liter, not on sale.  Store whould have exchanged but I'm old fashioned.  But drove past the store later and thought what the heck, went in and bought a 750, and being the smart guy that I am grabbed a 2nd.  

On 6/20/2021 at 12:36 PM, flahute said:

3.5L?

We're keeping our eye on you! 🧐

yea, I know.  I can be an abrasive troll in political threads and be tolerated.  But once I start ignoring the basic tenant of this forum, bourbon, my membership becomes tenuous, and I can be made to disappear.  

• I like it 1

I know this is going to be too boring for many of you, but I have been really enjoying Speyburn 10 since I found a great deal on 1.75ls at a local liquor store about a month ago. At about $15/750ml sale price I cannot think of a better deal in spirits. Being a Speyside leaning bourbon drinker, I find this to be a perfect middle ground between Glenfiddich 12 and Glenlivet 12, at less than half the price. I added another 1.75L to the cupboard while the deals were to be had.

On 6/21/2021 at 10:35 AM, B.B. Babington said:

the long sordid story.  store had a super deal on glenfiddich 750.  Being the smart guy that I am, I went ahead and stocked up with 2.  Got home and realized I'd grabbed 1 liter, not on sale.  Store whould have exchanged but I'm old fashioned.  But drove past the store later and thought what the heck, went in and bought a 750, and being the smart guy that I am grabbed a 2nd.  

yea, I know.  I can be an abrasive troll in political threads and be tolerated.  But once I start ignoring the basic tenant of this forum, bourbon, my membership becomes tenuous, and I can be made to disappear.  

We love ya BBB! You make us laugh. 

• I like it 1

On 6/21/2021 at 4:35 PM, B.B. Babington said:

WAIT a minute.  You wrote that you like it, but it is not your favorite, but now you have to drink the aggregate 3.5 liters you bought over seven days.  I got that right?  Heck of a consumer, you are unless that was a heck of a sale price.

Speaking of sales, I used my savings on a 4R SmBatch Select and a JAM to put toward a Redbreast 12 yr. 80 proof that was not on sale.  I'm still wondering why I bought it.  I better taste it before it goes bad. 

EDIT - See how I tied buying a foreign whisky to buying bourbon?  Those 50 ml bottles work, too.  Buy your foreign whiskey then pick up a 50 ml of bourbon. QED.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
forgot why I posted - to tie Irish to bourbon

On 6/27/2021 at 1:02 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

WAIT a minute.  You wrote that you like it, but it is not your favorite, but now you have to drink the aggregate 3.5 liters you bought over seven days.  I got that right?  Heck of a consumer, you are unless that was a heck of a sale price...

yea, you've got that mostly right.  I like it okay, but there's many others I pull from the shelf before that one: Buchanan, Monkey Shoulders, Glenlivet, Glenkenchie, Glendronach, etc etc.    I bought the 3.5 L in about maybe 2 hours period.  And yes, I'm American which means major consumer.  I've an entire forest of bottles purchased in just recent months.  And consumer in that my empties can is getting full.  But thinking I've done my part to help economy recently so looking to taper down both acquisition and consumption.  But the best laid plans of mice and men.

• I like it 1

PXL_20210628_213257258.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.43cf1d69396a7cd2b70f7eb125d82431.jpg

Wow - this is nice. Fruity, smoky, peppery goodness. Thank you @GaryT for the pointer to this very fine whisky that drinks dangerously easy for its proof.

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Wow - this is nice. Fruity, smoky, peppery goodness. Thank you @GaryT for the pointer to this very fine whisky that drinks dangerously easy for its proof.

Glad you enjoy it!  Holding back on going to get another (although my drop back in to look at their other indie bottles again tomorrow)

• I like it 1

On 6/28/2021 at 5:52 PM, dad-proof said:

Glad you reminded me about this one - enjoying a nice pour tonight.  Definitely a pepper edge, bit of spent matches but just a lovely robust intensity of dark fruit and pasties.  Takes water like a champ, maintaining a lovely viscosity.  Bottles like this are great reminders of why independent bottlers are such a blessing (and hopefully will share more with us in the States now that 700 mL isn't forbade!)

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, GaryT said:

Glad you reminded me about this one - enjoying a nice pour tonight.  Definitely a pepper edge, bit of spent matches but just a lovely robust intensity of dark fruit and pasties.  Takes water like a champ, maintaining a lovely viscosity.  Bottles like this are great reminders of why independent bottlers are such a blessing (and hopefully will share more with us in the States now that 700 mL isn't forbade!)

I had two pours straight so taking a breather tonight, but will get it going with water later this week.

Agree about independent bottlers overall, and hoping to see what makes its way over here. The risk of variability has given me pause in the past, but I trust G&M, Cadenheads, and the Laings a more than the average local picking a private barrel of bourbon.

• I like it 1

Went to a liquor store I rarely frequent, and found a Tullamore Dew 12 year - another rarity - for a good price.  Hanging out with a couple of buddies and decide to give it a try.  Dangerously drinkable at 80 proof and pretty tasty too.  We put down at least a third of the bottle.

• I like it 3

Highland Park 18 for breakfast 162088D1-90EC-480F-B8BB-BBF2318C870D.thumb.jpeg.b57b6c8172542d285050dc035a68eacd.jpegat the Sky Club...

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Highland Park 18 for breakfast 162088D1-90EC-480F-B8BB-BBF2318C870D.thumb.jpeg.b57b6c8172542d285050dc035a68eacd.jpegat the Sky Club...

No picture but I was channeling my inner you yesterday.  Flying out of SFO yesterday morning and the weather was cold and dreary.  So a double Laphroaig 10 at the sky club for breakfast sure made everything better!

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

No picture but I was channeling my inner you yesterday.  Flying out of SFO yesterday morning and the weather was cold and dreary.  So a double Laphroaig 10 at the sky club for breakfast sure made everything better!

Excellent— I was eyeing the Laphroaig 10 as well— pairs well with their yogurt/granola. It’s so nice to be back on the toad again.

1 minute ago, Marekv8 said:

Excellent— I was eyeing the Laphroaig 10 as well— pairs well with their yogurt/granola. It’s so nice to be back on the toad again.

Toad again?

'on the toad again' is now a phrase I will use in conversation for explaining to anyone that I will be having a few drinks later. 

"Any plans tonight?"

"Yes I shall absolutely be on the toad again!" 

:D

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, beasled said:

'on the toad again' is now a phrase I will use in conversation for explaining to anyone that I will be having a few drinks later. 

"Any plans tonight?"

"Yes I shall absolutely be on the toad again!" 

:D

Ha!  Love it!  I’m going to adopt that one, too!  😁

• I like it 2

No toads here, but picked up a new bottle on Wednesday and cracked it tonight - 'Unnamed Orkney' (Highland Park).  14 yr, NCF in a refill butt - love how thick it has gotten with just a bit of water.  Definitely a nice way to end a lousy week!  Cheers!

IMG_20210702_192906.thumb.jpg.d74bda182f932a353c2b283f6b7e919e.jpg

• I like it 2

On 6/27/2021 at 1:02 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

WAIT a minute. ...

another chapter in the saga.  Came across good deal for glenfiddich 18 and 15 solera.  thought about Harry.  didn't know what was already in my boxes and didn't want to look, so no doing back to back to back.  elucidating.

started with 15 solera.  initially not excited as I don't like solera concept but enjoyed this, not much complexity, perhaps overpowered by great wood.  really great wood.

18 was great.  not much complexity, more wood than I expected but less than 15, and on repeated trips to the bottle the touted cinnamon really showed thru as well as the apple to some extent.

return to 15.  now here's where it gets interesting.  the wood seemed less strong than 18, weird.  And now the touted honey showed itself.

these were very enjoyable.  I'm not sure how they compare to others in the price point but I liked them a lot more than the boring 12.

moved on to ardbeg, then RHF, OF1920 and EC18 in the cue... so... mods... please don't ban me for not sipping enough bourbon

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

another chapter in the saga.  Came across good deal for glenfiddich 18 and 15 solera.  thought about Harry.  didn't know what was already in my boxes and didn't want to look, so no doing back to back to back.  elucidating.

started with 15 solera.  initially not excited as I don't like solera concept but enjoyed this, not much complexity, perhaps overpowered by great wood.  really great wood.

18 was great.  not much complexity, more wood than I expected but less than 15, and on repeated trips to the bottle the touted cinnamon really showed thru as well as the apple to some extent.

return to 15.  now here's where it gets interesting.  the wood seemed less strong than 18, weird.  And now the touted honey showed itself.

these were very enjoyable.  I'm not sure how they compare to others in the price point but I liked them a lot more than the boring 12.

moved on to ardbeg, then RHF, OF1920 and EC18 in the cue... so... mods... please don't ban me for not sipping enough bourbon

Not going to ban you but continue to be amazed how you stay awake after all these pours!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.