What water of life did you purchase? - 2021

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I didn't actually purchase anything today (yet) but am starting this new thread since the old one is for summer of last year.

Also making this a year long thread since it's not as active as others.

If I was to purchase a water of life today what would it be? I'm going with Power's John Lane 12yr.

10 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Picked up this Teeling store pick today. 
4D28888A-2423-433C-AC0B-A5D507466B0B.thumb.jpeg.23664e9a48d23615f24515bc3c13fc83.jpeg

Mmmmm  - Oloroso Sherry finished . . . that sounds amazing!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 9:02 PM, dad-proof said:

I had been eyeing these a while.

PXL_20210207_015953559.thumb.jpg.fc1f7190df8f7527d9dacef73816a487.jpg

That Longrow Red Malbec is practically a dusty. Released in 2017!

• I like it 1

My first lottery win in years… Serge Valentin’s 15 yo WhiskyFun Anniversary Kornog from his personal cask. I threw my hat in the ring just for grins and got a surprise email.

IMG_5827.thumb.jpg.dfd4ab415f5d19f86255ef3cb40d4534.jpg

• I like it 2

On 2/6/2021 at 9:02 PM, dad-proof said:

I had been eyeing these a while.

PXL_20210207_015953559.thumb.jpg.fc1f7190df8f7527d9dacef73816a487.jpg

How is the Wee Beastie? A 5 year old scotch feels like a 2 year old bourbon. Too young to be any good.

3 hours ago, mal00768 said:

How is the Wee Beastie? A 5 year old scotch feels like a 2 year old bourbon. Too young to be any good.

Can't speak for dad-proof's assessment, but I thought the Wee Beastie was a little brash and young tasting but still had that unmistakable Ardbeg-ness to it.  It has more sweetness on the tip of the tongue than a lot of their stuff that helps with the young part.  I would say that it is more like a WSR vs. a W12. (Wee Beastie vs. Ten)

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, mal00768 said:

4 hours ago, Clueby said:

Can't speak for dad-proof's assessment, but I thought the Wee Beastie was a little brash and young tasting but still had that unmistakable Ardbeg-ness to it.  It has more sweetness on the tip of the tongue than a lot of their stuff that helps with the young part.  I would say that it is more like a WSR vs. a W12. (Wee Beastie vs. Ten)

I just opened the bottle and had my first pour earlier today, and mostly agree with Clueby's take. The Wee Beastie is noticeably young and brash, especially compared to the 10. Most days I would prefer the 10, but the Wee Beastie is plenty good, and I am happy to have it as a change of pace.

In my relatively limited experience, I have had more success with young 5-8 year old peated Scotch (Ardbeg, Kilchoman, Bunnahabhain Stoisha, Ben Nevis McDonald's, and this Arbeg) than any bourbon under 4 years old.  The "estery" raw corn cereal flavors combined with the rough edges of new charred oak barrels combine to make underaged bourbon pretty off-putting. Raw malted barley spirit seems to have fewer off notes and/or the peat in these specific examples do a much better job of covering them up. Not sure if one or the other or both! I am guessing young single malts also benefit from the mature (bourbon/sherry/scotch) spirits that aged in the barrels before along with the more nuanced initial wood influence.     

I did a SBS of the two below today. Initially, the stronger sherry influence of the McDonald's was more noticeable and more enjoyable, but the Wee Beastie opened up after about 15 minutes and a couple of drops of water to really make things interesting.       

PXL_20210210_214314413.thumb.jpg.9073c79e5c1f7b4a9eedfe50d8802ddc.jpg

• I like it 1

I prefer the Ardbeg 10 over the wee beastie, myself.  Great drams.  

Picked up a Springbank 10 and 15 today.  

Should I go back and get either the Hazelburn 9 Barolo or Hazelburn 10 Rundlets and Kilderkins at $130 a bottle?  They had a few of each and I'll be back next week.  Had to get the only Springbank 15 they had today; ya know, priorities!  

Edited by Guss West

On 1/27/2021 at 6:57 AM, beasled said:

Couple of Campbeltown's finest, still hazy from the trip. 

20210127_102939.jpg

I have absolutely adored drink these two SBS the past year.  Still half a bottle each, taking my sweet time, both of these are now "buy on sight" bottles.  Sigh...

• I like it 2

41 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

I just opened the bottle and had my first pour earlier today, and mostly agree with Clueby's take. The Wee Beastie is noticeably young and brash, especially compared to the 10. Most days I would prefer the 10, but the Wee Beastie is plenty good, and I am happy to have it as a change of pace.

In my relatively limited experience, I have had more success with young 5-8 year old peated Scotch (Ardbeg, Kilchoman, Bunnahabhain Stoisha, Ben Nevis McDonald's, and this Arbeg) than any bourbon under 4 years old.  The "estery" raw corn cereal flavors combined with the rough edges of new charred oak barrels combine to make underaged bourbon pretty off-putting. Raw malted barley spirit seems to have fewer off notes and/or the peat in these specific examples do a much better job of covering them up. Not sure if one or the other or both! I am guessing young single malts also benefit from the mature (bourbon/sherry/scotch) spirits that aged in the barrels before along with the more nuanced initial wood influence.     

I did a SBS of the two below today. Initially, the stronger sherry influence of the McDonald's was more noticeable and more enjoyable, but the Wee Beastie opened up after about 15 minutes and a couple of drops of water to really make things interesting.       

Really nice write up!  👍🏻

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Guss West said:

I have absolutely adored drink these two SBS the past year.  Still half a bottle each, taking my sweet time, both of these are now "buy on sight" bottles.  Sigh...

They seem to be in good supply here in the UK, maybe not at the major retailers but looking around at the smaller stores usually helps. The hype on Springbank seems to be ramping up these days, rightfully so! 

11 hours ago, Guss West said:

I prefer the Ardbeg 10 over the wee beastie, myself.  Great drams.  

Picked up a Springbank 10 and 15 today.  

Should I go back and get either the Hazelburn 9 Barolo or Hazelburn 10 Rundlets and Kilderkins at $130 a bottle?  They had a few of each and I'll be back next week.  Had to get the only Springbank 15 they had today; ya know, priorities!  

I quite like the Hazelburn Rundlets & Kilderkins 10yo-- surprised to hear that bottles are still on the shelf.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, dad-proof said:

I'm glad you're enjoying the Ben Nevis-- it was a surprise find for me. If you get a chance to try some young Talisker (6 to 8 yo), you'll find similar zesty traits to the other young peated drams you mentioned.

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

If you get a chance to try some young Talisker (6 to 8 yo), you'll find similar zesty traits to the other young peated drams you mentioned.

I've never met a Talisker I didn't like, so will definitely keep an eye out. In the US, I think stumbling across an indie bottling may be my best option. Thanks!

Picked up a Tomatin 14 yr as I really liked both the 12 and 18 yr (the 15 yr - not so much, but this is what replaced that).  Some port maturation, NCF and 46% should bode well.  Hopefully will find out this weekend!

• I like it 2

I usually miss the cadence when the CS appears on the shelf at my local. Glad I was there the right week. Love this stuff! 

9CA63EEA-D2D3-49C8-9F14-5800904058F9.jpeg

• I like it 7

Tomatin 14 is a good dram and Redbreast 12 CS is easily my favorite Irish whiskey and it's not even close!  Head, shoulders, and red breast above the others in the category, imho.    

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, Guss West said:

Tomatin 14 is a good dram and Redbreast 12 CS is easily my favorite Irish whiskey and it's not even close!  Head, shoulders, and red breast above the others in the category, imho.    

Yessir.  I love the Irish whiskey category, and more than a few I really, really, like, but that Redbreast Cask Strength is super special.  In my Top 5 whiskies of any type.  

• I like it 1

On 2/13/2021 at 2:16 PM, Guss West said:

On 2/13/2021 at 4:34 PM, smokinjoe said:

Yessir.  I love the Irish whiskey category, and more than a few I really, really, like, but that Redbreast Cask Strength is super special.  In my Top 5 whiskies of any type.  

Well it is perhaps the best readily available (although it gets scarce at times) and affordable pot still whiskey but the Redbreast 21 is in a different league in terms of my favorite pot still whiskey!

• I like it 1

On 2/13/2021 at 4:34 PM, smokinjoe said:

I don't have much experience with Irish whiskey aside from Black Bush and similar sorts of fare, mostly for St. Paddy's day. I have a bottle of something very forgettable (like Tyrconnell) at the office (which I haven't been to in a year). 

I have been thinking about buying the Redbreast CS 12 as it consistently gets great praise, and I want to see if I can click with "good" Irish whiskey. But I have read a few posts about "off" batches of the CS 12 more recently. See Serge at Whisky Fun for an example (http://www.whiskyfun.com/2019/A-little-tour-of-Ireland.html). He is an admitted Redbreast fan so I found this surprising. Can anyone here give me their perspective on how safe the water currently is before I dive in?   

Edited by dad-proof

I'd recommend the Powers John's Lane 12 if you see it. Not sure what the price is there but it's a solid whiskey. 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, beasled said:

I'd recommend the Powers John's Lane 12 if you see it. Not sure what the price is there but it's a solid whiskey. 

You beat me to it David.  Another fave of mine.  $78ish here in ATL.  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.