What water of life did you purchase? - 2021

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Well it is perhaps the best readily available (although it gets scarce at times) and affordable pot still whiskey but the Redbreast 21 is in a different league in terms of my favorite pot still whiskey!

Oh no...........you've gone and done a Joe and made me want to obtain a whiskey I had decided I didn't need. Crap!

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, beasled said:

I'd recommend the Powers John's Lane 12 if you see it. Not sure what the price is there but it's a solid whiskey. 

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

You beat me to it David.  Another fave of mine.  $78ish here in ATL.  

Yes! I absolutely love this one.

• I like it 2

Thanks everyone for the recommendation on the Powers John Lane 12. The place closest to me with it in stock has it at the price Smokinjoe mentioned (post-tax), and the Redbreast 12 CS at $20 more.

Based on the consensus of some fine palates, the PJL 12 looks like a great option.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, beasled said:

Have been getting into Bruichladdich of late so jumped at the chance to pick one of these up.

20210217_110313.jpg

Looks fantastic-- I imagine that was a tricky one to obtain. Official single cask releases puts them in Springbank territory.

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Looks fantastic-- I imagine that was a tricky one to obtain. Official single cask releases puts them in Springbank territory.

Indeed. I've missed all the recent Springbank LE's, the hype and panic over buying them is reaching allocated bourbon levels here. They used to sit on shelves for a few months... just the way it is these days. 

11 hours ago, flahute said:

Oh no...........you've gone and done a Joe and made me want to obtain a whiskey I had decided I didn't need. Crap!

What can I say? I am a professional enabler!

• I like it 2

On 2/16/2021 at 11:42 PM, flahute said:

Is there really a good whisk(e)y we don't "need"?

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Jazz June said:

Is there really a good whisk(e)y we don't "need"?

Fair point!

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, beasled said:

A couple of newbies arrived this morning. 

20210220_123534.jpg

Newbies on several levels! Wuite hard to find, too, from what I understand but very positive reviews. Very interesting.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, dad-proof said:

Newbies on several levels! Wuite hard to find, too, from what I understand but very positive reviews. Very interesting.

I was fortunate to be on the right sites at the right time. I understand the Torabhaig which was released yesterday has a release of 32k bottles globally so I would hope not too difficult! 

• I like it 1

OK, so dinner included roasted brussel sprouts with parmesan cheese and balsamic glaze, and we ate by the fire pit. Which means a toasted marshmallow or two for dessert. Between the smoke, strong flavors, and sugar, I expected my senses to be shot. But with my SB.com recommended purchase newly in hand, I couldn't wait. This is delicious. Really look forward to exploring more of this whiskey in the days/weeks ahead, but the quality and depth is clearly there.

By the way, I really enjoyed the insert that included a historical account and sketch of the distillery on heavy paper. I really wish more brands did something like this.

PXL_20210221_010721870.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.5653c369bb9e2cef52b59c4993c350c0.jpg

• I like it 5

8 hours ago, dad-proof said:

OK, so dinner included roasted brussel sprouts with parmesan cheese and balsamic glaze, and we ate by the fire pit. Which means a toasted marshmallow or two for dessert. Between the smoke, strong flavors, and sugar, I expected my senses to be shot. But with my SB.com recommended purchase newly in hand, I couldn't wait. This is delicious. Really look forward to exploring more of this whiskey in the days/weeks ahead, but the quality and depth is clearly there.

By the way, I really enjoyed the insert that included a historical account and sketch of the distillery on heavy paper. I really wish more brands did something like this.

Sounds like a great way to spend an evening, glad you enjoyed it! 

• I like it 1

The flow of single malts is slowly opening back up around here… albeit at a trickle. Retailers seem hesitant to bring in potentially slow-movers when the bourbon-obsessed folks are stripping the shelves clean.

IMG_5859.thumb.jpg.9a5c11b9f184c5a9076dade0c4e3ae63.jpg

• I like it 7

3-4 different sources for all of the below. 2021 proceeding pretty similar to 2020 as far as stockpiling...

7611ECE9-4F28-43FC-A125-FD3F5A90848F.thumb.jpeg.d9a7298a8cc37be26649a408d60247d5.jpeg

• I like it 8

Really enjoyed a 9 yr Ledaig from Signatory a few years back (although that was first fill sherry vs refill sherry), but if this 14 yr is in the same ball park - I'll be happy!

IMG_20210225_191954.thumb.jpg.483f486e55cddbccd6acfbbbf17eec82.jpg

• I like it 2

On 2/20/2021 at 9:07 PM, dad-proof said:

They're standard offering, "Gold Label" is really good too, and very reasonably priced.   That seemed to be what all of the locals were drinking, when we vacationed in Ireland, years ago.    Before it became ubiquitous here, a publican in Dublin told us that "We send the Jameson's to America, and keep the Power's for ourselves"    

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Damn Ardbeg has turned into allocated bourbon… going back to rum.

IMG_5873.thumb.jpg.5581a21c8483fb4bc441c5a80062093d.jpg

I had the chance to buy the 25 but at £750 I thought it wasn't worth it and they'd never sell it at that, given the 19 Traig Bhan was £200. Well I soon learned how wrong i was. It all sold out and has been doing £1100+ on the auctions. Utter madness. 

19 hours ago, beasled said:

I had the chance to buy the 25 but at £750 I thought it wasn't worth it and they'd never sell it at that, given the 19 Traig Bhan was £200. Well I soon learned how wrong i was. It all sold out and has been doing £1100+ on the auctions. Utter madness. 

It seems that non-Scotch folks have entered the fray due to the hype and the distributors have taken note. A few years ago the Committee Releases were easy to score— now they’re heading toward lottery items along with the Foursquare ECS bottles. 

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

It seems that non-Scotch folks have entered the fray due to the hype and the distributors have taken note. A few years ago the Committee Releases were easy to score— now they’re heading toward lottery items along with the Foursquare ECS bottles. 

We're seeing an increase in online stores doing lotteries. I guess it makes it fairer in the long run but as of yet, and as of 5 years entering various ones on various site, I have won the chance to buy exactly squat... 

• I like it 1

On 3/6/2021 at 1:34 PM, jeffrey r said:

Added another Spot.

DBBF08F8-CC44-440D-96C4-A1A96F20AE45.jpeg

These hit select metro Atlanta locations last week too.  I grabbed one for me and then a few some buddies.  Then a Compass Box Magic Cask and a couple of Signatory CS Vintage bottles of Glen Grant and Littlemill.  I may have gotten carried away. 

• I like it 2

On 2/20/2021 at 9:07 PM, dad-proof said:

This is the “old” bottle style, replaced last year by something that to me resembles the Peerless bottles. I dont think the box and insert are a part of the package anymore. I picked one up last year before the change as I find this style much more appealing than the the new version. The story behind why they changed and how the new bottle style pays homage to the Powers history was cute but the result was a letdown aesthetically IMO. Glad you were able to find the classic.

Looking forward to cracking mine one day when I can resume enjoying distilled spirits.

, so dinner included roasted brussel sprouts with parmesan cheese and balsamic glaze, and we ate by the fire pit. Which means a toasted marshmallow or two for dessert. Between the smoke, strong flavors, and sugar, I expected my senses to be shot. But with my SB.com recommended purchase newly in hand, I couldn't wait. This is delicious. Really look forward to exploring more of this whiskey in the days/weeks ahead, but the quality and depth is clearly there.

PXL_20210221_010721870.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.5653c369bb9e2cef52b59c4993c350c0.jpgThis is the 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.