What water of life did you purchase? - 2021

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

This is the “old” bottle style, replaced last year by something that to me resembles the Peerless bottles.

Thanks KC, did not know this. It was the last on the shelf where I picked it up, but I have enjoyed a couple more delicious pours since and may keep an eye out for a replacement.

• I like it 1

I stepped out of my box today and bought something different. Supposedly a non-Peated scotch, which I do not like peated anything. Looks good. 
F64AFE41-1C59-48E1-B504-CA2E5F78B20D.thumb.jpeg.6cc4f45b40ecdca5f652535dd10e0276.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, LCWoody said:

I stepped out of my box today and bought something different. Supposedly a non-Peated scotch, which I do not like peated anything. Looks good. 
F64AFE41-1C59-48E1-B504-CA2E5F78B20D.thumb.jpeg.6cc4f45b40ecdca5f652535dd10e0276.jpeg

That's a teaspooned Glenfiddich I believe-- nice pick-up.

• I like it 1

On 3/9/2021 at 1:33 PM, BigRich said:

These hit select metro Atlanta locations last week too.  I grabbed one for me and then a few some buddies.  Then a Compass Box Magic Cask and a couple of Signatory CS Vintage bottles of Glen Grant and Littlemill.  I may have gotten carried away. 

For some reason I couldn’t remember my tasting notes of this from last night... 🤪

But, today is a new day!  Opened my Blue 7 yr this afternoon.  First thing that hit me was it’s body.  Nice thickness that creates quite the globby sheeting on my Glencairn.  Sweetness up front, and not a lot of vegetal notes.  The Bourbon - Sherry - Madiera cask work has really given this a rich fullness and heaviness.  The lack of this body in some Irish is at times a drawback for me with them.  Not with this one, though.   The highproof is also welcome, and carries everything on its back through the finish.  I’m looking forward to some more time with this, but impressed as of now.  

D25A8A06-132E-4D83-86BB-5769241AD415.jpeg

• I like it 2

Went in the store specifically for a 2017 Convalmore 32-- found a 2013 Convalmore 36 listed and priced as a 32 instead. After making the error known to the manager, I was told “Happy Birthday."

IMG_5937.thumb.jpg.062070ea073f11f46e40991cca8f5e96.jpg

• I like it 2

47 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Went in the store specifically for a 2017 Convalmore 32-- found a 2013 Convalmore 36 listed and priced as a 32 instead. After making the error known to the manager, I was told “Happy Birthday."

Every once in a while........🥳

Biba! Joe

Benriach Smoky 10 and 12 are getting dropped off today.  The 12 sounded a bit more interesting but I got both for science.

• I like it 1

43 minutes ago, berto said:

Benriach Smoky 10 and 12 are getting dropped off today.  The 12 sounded a bit more interesting but I got both for science.

I've been curious about these - interested to know your thoughts whenever you get around to tasting.

Couldn't help myself and had to stop at one of the stores on the way home. I'm sure that happens a lot amongst all of you. Anyways, I enjoyed the 12 & CS so much that when I came across this I had to take it home. Has anyone tried this yet? Input?

20210325_175638.jpg

• I like it 1

Hello dark side gurus hoping you might be able to help with some details on a slightly dusty Bernomach 10 year.  I bought more because I have trouble finding these or any decent age stated single malts for under $50 these days.

Any idea how when they switched to the new box packaging and got rid of the canister?  I recall seeing the box at least 4 years back.  More importantly do they add coloring?  They seem to market themselves as the guys that only use first fill casks and not the type to add coloring but who knows 5+ years back.  Much darker color than I would expected and seems to have more Sherry and even more peat than the newer bottlings.

F43733F7-D6CE-47FF-A6EC-AACBF983A6B4.jpeg

3BE90C9B-B801-4AB0-A807-08CF7B0A3B90.jpeg

Oh yeah also had a cork issue, luckily I keep spares and thanks to tips from here the plastic bag trick worked like a charm.

On 3/27/2021 at 8:07 PM, HoustonNit said:

Any idea how when they switched to the new box packaging and got rid of the canister?  I re

I remember the more recent blue/bronze branding with the box was selected by Ralfy as his whisky of the year back at the start of 2015, and it had already been out a while. The old tube tin version would have to be 7-8+ years old at minimum, and maybe as far back as 11-12 years.

They reportedly don't add color, but do put it through at least a light chill filtering. I enjoy Benromach and think the flavor and character outpaces its 43% proof and reasonable pricing.

I just saw the distillery rebranded yet again to a red/white combo. Have not had the latest iteration.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:02 PM, smokinjoe said:

For some reason I couldn’t remember my tasting notes of this from last night... 🤪

But, today is a new day!  Opened my Blue 7 yr this afternoon.  First thing that hit me was it’s body.  Nice thickness that creates quite the globby sheeting on my Glencairn.  Sweetness up front, and not a lot of vegetal notes.  The Bourbon - Sherry - Madiera cask work has really given this a rich fullness and heaviness.  The lack of this body in some Irish is at times a drawback for me with them.  Not with this one, though.   The highproof is also welcome, and carries everything on its back through the finish.  I’m looking forward to some more time with this, but impressed as of now.  

D25A8A06-132E-4D83-86BB-5769241AD415.jpeg

How did you find this beautiful bottle? Green Spot is my favorite Irish Whiskey so I feel the Yellow, Red, and Blue all need to be on my radar just to try.

16 hours ago, dad-proof said:

I remember the more recent blue/bronze branding with the box was selected by Ralfy as his whisky of the year back at the start of 2015, and it had already been out a while. The old tube tin version would have to be 7-8+ years old at minimum, and maybe as far back as 11-12 years.

They reportedly don't add color, but do put it through at least a light chill filtering. I enjoy Benromach and think the flavor and character outpaces its 43% proof and reasonable pricing.

I just saw the distillery rebranded yet again to a red/white combo. Have not had the latest iteration.

Ok thanks I assumed filtering as I’m sure they’ve of likely mentioned NCF otherwise.  I didn’t think they added coloring but it’s good to hear at least one other person also stating they don’t.  

I guess this could be 10+ years based on the dust and the busted cork.  The place I got this from seems to mostly do sales to local bars and restaurants and not much retail.  This older batch seems to have more Sherry cask based on taste and coloring.  I’ll spend a little time with it but will likely get backups.

Edited by HoustonNit

16 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

How did you find this beautiful bottle? Green Spot is my favorite Irish Whiskey so I feel the Yellow, Red, and Blue all need to be on my radar just to try.

Continues to be very good!

Have y'all been seeing these distiller editions for Scotches in your area? Like I've seen some for distillers edition for Lagavulin and Oban and the like. Are these being released to the public because people couldn't travel due to Covid? Has anyone tried one?

12 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Have y'all been seeing these distiller editions for Scotches in your area? Like I've seen some for distillers edition for Lagavulin and Oban and the like. Are these being released to the public because people couldn't travel due to Covid? Has anyone tried one?

Those are annual official releases of the Diageo core SMSW range which offer a twist to the standard release in the form of cask finishes/double maturation. Here is the 2020 rundown:

2020 Oban Distillers Edition
2006 Oban double-matured in ex-bodega Montilla Fino cask wood for a rich fruitiness and maritime flavors that bond with the fresh, sweet aromas and tastes of the adored Oban 14 Year Old in an explosive, rich and deep expression of Oban

2020 Talisker Distillers Edition
2010 Talisker double-matured in ex-bodega Amoroso cask wood for rich and fruity sweetness that rounds out the peaty, peppery punch of the popular, malty Talisker 10 Year Old, to create a richly rewarding and deeper style of malt

2020 Lagavulin Distillers Edition
2005 Lagavulin double-matured in ex-bodega Pedro Ximenez cask wood for an intense, raisiny sweetness that marries beautifully with the smoky power of the renowned Lagavulin 16 Year Old to create a massive, rich tasting power-house of a malt

2020 Cragganmore Distillers Edition
2008 Cragganmore double-matured in ex-bodega Port cask wood for succulence and rounded depth of flavor to enhance the complex smoky aromas and tastes of the beloved Cragganmore 12 Year Old

2020 Dalwhinnie Distillers Edition
2005 Dalwhinnie double-matured in ex-bodega Oloroso cask wood for a rich sweetness and spicy complexity to enhance the heathery, honeyed aromas and tastes of the fan favorite Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old

2020 Glenkinchie Distillers Edition
2008 Glenkinchie double-matured in ex-bodega Amontillado cask wood for a nuttiness that rounds and deepens the sweet, grassy and dry aromas and tastes of the iconic Glenkinchie 12 Year Old

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up Distillers Edition of Lagavulin and Dalwhinnie.  $130 and $90 respectively.  Probably won't be till weekend to crack them and post some notes.

17 hours ago, beasled said:

Picked up the new Frog

20210414_102120.jpg

Gotta let us know how this is

I was in Houston yesterday and came across this RB 27y and just couldn’t pass it up. 
1D29FAF2-EF0C-4D30-BF7E-FB78037EF1A9.thumb.jpeg.cf4147f333d57ec76a5f8f75e2aad455.jpeg

• I like it 9

22 hours ago, LCWoody said:

I was in Houston yesterday and came across this RB 27y and just couldn’t pass it up. 
1D29FAF2-EF0C-4D30-BF7E-FB78037EF1A9.thumb.jpeg.cf4147f333d57ec76a5f8f75e2aad455.jpeg

OOOOHHHH soooo shiny...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.