What water of life did you purchase? - 2021

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

What do you thing of Jura in general?  I hear a lot of bad but assume a lot has to with its low proof and over filtration.  This seems looks a good way to try it.

I seem to be one of the few Jura fans. It’s a meaty distillate that suffers in official bottlings in all respects. As you stated, independent bottlings are a different animal, but still tough to find at older ages and higher ABVs.  

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, beasled said:

Picked up batch 4 just in time for the colder evenings.

20210813_091406.jpg

That one will probably never make it here-- given that it just scored a WF90 yesterday and Springbank/Glengyle distribution has been so upside down here. Enjoy it!

9 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

That one will probably never make it here-- given that it just scored a WF90 yesterday and Springbank/Glengyle distribution has been so upside down here. Enjoy it!

Thanks! This was a random restock on a UK retailer's site (Royal Mile Whiskies). They offer a £10 voucher to spend on another purchase if you opt in to have your name and order number written on the bottle (to prevent flipping at auction). Pretty good idea I think.

I ordered this before I saw Serge's score, happy coincidence. 

• I like it 1

In New York and glad to find the AnCnoc, as it’s been a very elusive bottle in my part of the world.

8CE676E6-7DB6-44F5-B936-45BF5BED6397.thumb.jpeg.4109b608d11c80fc12cdc218aa0b9124.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise find from a State controlled LS in Portland hidden behind some other bottles. Employee asked me if it was smooth… and I replied "No, but I am."

IMG_6590.thumb.jpg.7a92a24d7ee95220bdc724f839b24cbe.jpg

• I like it 6

31 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Surprise find from a State controlled LS in Portland hidden behind some other bottles. Employee asked me if it was smooth… and I replied "No, but I am."

IMG_6590.thumb.jpg.7a92a24d7ee95220bdc724f839b24cbe.jpg

I just watched Ralfy's tour of that distillery in the past week- what a tiny operation! Looked like fun, though.

• I like it 1

I picked up Loch Lomond.  It's something I learned about from Ralfy's site.  So we have a malt Ralfy likes, non chill filtered, not crazy expensive, and on the shelf in the grocery store.  How often does that happen. 🤣 

• I like it 1

Picked up a Glenlivet Illicit Still on sale today; looking forward to seeing what supercharged GL12 tastes like. They also had Founder's Reserve really cheap. so one came home; if it's not very good neat, I'm guessing it'll make a nice mixer.

• I like it 2

Not sure how this ended up in Louisiana, but there are quite a few long tales that start in that fashion. Trying my best to support the locals before Total Wine opens here next week. Had to wait a half hour to take the photo so the bottle could acclimate to the 88 degree temp in the booze room. 

23B38769-419B-4C0C-8D41-259B82C56A2E.thumb.jpeg.419fa7d3d7fef3b01d14650aa9ee6971.jpeg

• I like it 9

First purchase in about 1 year. After finding Kilbeggan single pot still on a recent trip I tried it in a pub and was very impressed. I had given up finding a bottle but an out of state co worker was able to pick one up for me and I am very pleased to add it to the bunker.

• I like it 2

On 9/3/2021 at 6:42 PM, Marekv8 said:

Not sure how this ended up in Louisiana, but there are quite a few long tales that start in that fashion. Trying my best to support the locals before Total Wine opens here next week. Had to wait a half hour to take the photo so the bottle could acclimate to the 88 degree temp in the booze room. 

23B38769-419B-4C0C-8D41-259B82C56A2E.thumb.jpeg.419fa7d3d7fef3b01d14650aa9ee6971.jpeg

I've not had Benrine so don't know what it is.  But that's one heck of a presentation, and with 2 cool glasses.  It's clear distiller proud of it with display case and decanter style heavy bottom bottle.  If I'm ever your way I'll beg a sip.

as for your earlier post on Jura.  I think you and I have some similar tastes, though I might go for more gross stuff.  Anywho, I like Jura okay.  I don't get excited but I get a bottle when it goes on sale.  

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't track down the best damn whisky in Nepal, so I rolled the dice. Shame that the Glenglassaugh 30 uses the Clement “teardrop” bottle, but hopefully that's a good sign.

IMG_6676.thumb.jpg.e1f28c9ead6c58a838980b88006ddcc5.jpg

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

Is there something wrong with that bottle shape.

No, it’s shared with the much lamented Clement XO (and a few Trader Vic’s liqueurs), so I don’t associate the structural semiotics with Scotch. It’s been discontinued, so I assume Brown-Forman will bring it back at some point in a different structure. 

E3E6EF7B-A7CB-4A48-BD1A-EFC4C8066C29.thumb.jpeg.4990d2a00ed31d640c4a032c7edc38b4.jpeg

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

A major mixed bag, as is usual... plus a couple of additional rums out of the frame. 

Even though I’m just a bourbon guy, the pics you post of your “acquisitions” always make me smile. Keep on keepin’ on. 👍

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

A major mixed bag, as is usual... plus a couple of additional rums out of the frame. 

DF84FC2A-32BC-4AD1-A2BA-31A7C80F2C7B.thumb.jpeg.8bf95bd102f3e9fcb0ffa5bdfe3fbc4b.jpeg

The JD and the Canvas are on my shortlist.  As usual when reading your posts, I'm jealous. 

Thanks guys, the Jack 10 literally came off the truck outside— they only received 6 bottles and I watched them vanish. We’ll probably never see them in Louisiana. 
The color on the 15yo Blackadder Panama is the kicker...

E3592DF4-3608-47BF-923F-BBBE96E5B6B7.thumb.jpeg.196da4f33107538e006c14a81bccb92d.jpeg

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to the store for some wine (coq au vin) and beer (fish & chips) for cooking this week and walked out with the two new Compass Box releases Orchard House and Canvas. 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.