New Orleans & The Sazerac...

bayouredd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was in NO this past weekend and had my first Sazerac; and my second and third at 3 different places. Well actually the 1st & 2nd were the same place and 2 others at 2 different places. Wow what a great cocktail...

Forward to this weekend & I thought I would give it a shot. I only had 2 ryes on hand so 1st came the Willet 4year. It was good but the overwhelming licorice was too much for even the absinthe fennel flavor. The Pinhook rye was actually much better.

It won't take the place of my Whiskey Sour, but it's a good un'...

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, bayouredd said:

I was in NO this past weekend and had my first Sazerac; and my second and third at 3 different places. Well actually the 1st & 2nd were the same place and 2 others at 2 different places. Wow what a great cocktail...

Forward to this weekend & I thought I would give it a shot. I only had 2 ryes on hand so 1st came the Willet 4year. It was good but the overwhelming licorice was too much for even the absinthe fennel flavor. The Pinhook rye was actually much better.

It won't take the place of my Whiskey Sour, but it's a good un'...

The Sazerac is a hard cocktail to make which is why you liked them so much better at the city of their birth and in the hands of a professional bartender.

This was one of my early favorites when I first got into cocktails. Attempts to make them at home always disappointed. You really, really, have to go light on that absinthe because just a touch too much and it overpowers the mix.

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, flahute said:

The Sazerac is a hard cocktail to make which is why you liked them so much better at the city of their birth and in the hands of a professional bartender.

This was one of my early favorites when I first got into cocktails. Attempts to make them at home always disappointed. You really, really, have to go light on that absinthe because just a touch too much and it overpowers the mix.

Actually my Saz went pretty well. I can even tell the differences in the ryes used; but one was good the other very good. You are right about the practiced bartender and I can tell there is some improvement to be had. It's my Old Fashioned that seems to fall short regularly. Even my Son's rendition is wonderful...

21 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Actually my Saz went pretty well. I can even tell the differences in the ryes used; but one was good the other very good. You are right about the practiced bartender and I can tell there is some improvement to be had. It's my Old Fashioned that seems to fall short regularly. Even my Son's rendition is wonderful...

Ah gotcha! Yeah, my Old Fashioneds are also sub par. I have a hard time getting the bitters just right.

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I've only had them in NOLA, and I agree they're fantastic down there. 

Doesn't the Roosevelt Hotel (Waldorf)  NOLA claim to be the birthplace?   I am sure lots of places do, but man are they good in NOLA.   I do not even mess with them at home.

Too many failed attempts.

• I like it 1

I should probably stay out of this, but an Old Fashioned is easy to make, and I think my Sazeracs are at least passably good. Of course, I do love the pro-made ones in New Orleans.

Old Fashioned: Fill the drinking glass with ice and set aside. Fill the mixing glass with ice, whiskey, 1-2 tsp simple syrup, and 2-3 dashes of bitters. Stir well - I like to stir for 30 sec to a minute. Discard ice from serving glass and replace with fresh ice. Strain the cocktail into the serving glass.

Edited by ratcheer
typo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.