Whats your favorite pour under $70?

Cajuin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/16/2021 at 6:00 AM, BourbonGuy said:

Where are you guys getting Blanton's for <$70?

My local Safeway supermarket gets it in once every month or two but they usually keep it in the back so you have to ask the liquor manager.   They sell it for $58 but if you get five more of any wine or spirit, you get 10% off on the six pack, which nets out to $52.20 plus tax.  I think supermarkets can yield surprises because taters don't think to hunt there.  I've gotten Stagg Jr and Weller for msrp at Safeway and a few years ago, I got a 2018 GTS at another local chain for $250. 

• I like it 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 8:37 AM, fosmith said:

I think supermarkets can yield surprises because taters don't think to hunt there.

Yeah and they'll surely never think to hunt there now 😄

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

On 12/10/2021 at 9:19 PM, kaiserhog said:

Hell, my favorite poor is under $30.00 and it is a handle.

I like some inexpensive stuff myself, but you've got me curious. EW BIB? EW 1783? Some undervalued Barton stuff?

• I like it 1

$65= $70  is becoming an odd price point for bourbon.     No question no one needs to spend 70 bucks in order to drink good bourbon.     And the "premium"  expression of the major distillers are in the $40 - $50 range.   Think Rare Breed,  and the Whiskey Row series.    And the "collectible" stuff is north of $65-$70.

I guess what $70 best gets you is the combintion of extra aging and cask strength.   EC Barrel Proof at 12 years, for example.   Smoke Wagon UCUF.   Belle Meade Reserve.     Wild Turkey claims that price point for single barrels,   whether higher-proofed or its traditional 101. 

The bottom line for me is the best deal in bourbon out there right now may well be the 1792 line.     

11 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

$65= $70  is becoming an odd price point for bourbon.     No question no one needs to spend 70 bucks in order to drink good bourbon.     And the "premium"  expression of the major distillers are in the $40 - $50 range.   Think Rare Breed,  and the Whiskey Row series.    And the "collectible" stuff is north of $65-$70.

I guess what $70 best gets you is the combintion of extra aging and cask strength.   EC Barrel Proof at 12 years, for example.   Smoke Wagon UCUF.   Belle Meade Reserve.     Wild Turkey claims that price point for single barrels,   whether higher-proofed or its traditional 101. 

The bottom line for me is the best deal in bourbon out there right now may well be the 1792 line.     

There is a lot of great bourbon at less than $50....WT101, WTRB, EC, OF100, FRSiB, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace.  I am biased.  I prefer Wild Turkey, Old Forester, Four Roses, Knob Creek but you can find Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, New Riff, Woodinville, Woodford, etc.  The spectacular days of glut bourbon are gone but we still have a lot of great bourbons and ryes available for reasonable prices.

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

...I guess what $70 best gets you is the combintion of extra aging and cask strength.   EC Barrel Proof at 12 years, for example.   Smoke Wagon UCUF.   Belle Meade Reserve.     Wild Turkey claims that price point for single barrels,   whether higher-proofed or its traditional 101...

Getting north of $70 in american whiskey is usually a rip-off.  At this price most crafts are ... uh... something that starts with "c" and sort of sounds like "craft" 

There are certainly great selections for american at +70.  I love Alberta's Masterson's Rye.  When aged BT, WT, or HH is available, sure I'll try to grab before others do.  

What I most enjoy is finding an interesting lower priced item like Dickel BIB or Rebel Distillers both at $44.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 10:42 PM, TBoner said:

I like some inexpensive stuff myself, but you've got me curious. EW BIB? EW 1783? Some undervalued Barton stuff?

EW BIB

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, kaiserhog said:

EW BIB

It's really terrific. I'm not always a fan of HH whiskey, but that one is always in the cabinet.

I don't really pour many whiskeys over $70. I can count on one hand the number of times I've spent more than that on a bottle. My go-to pours are all under $30, and my very favorite whiskey is probably WTRB or OGD 114. That said, there are a lot of whiskeys under $70 that I think could easily sell for much more, but I'd rather not give anybody any crazy ideas about raising prices.

Edited by TBoner
  • I like it 2

On 12/10/2021 at 10:19 PM, kaiserhog said:

Hell, my favorite poor is under $30.00 and it is a handle.

I don’t think my old man ever spent any time in Arkansas but somehow I’ve got a brother down there!

• I like it 3

On 12/21/2021 at 1:21 PM, Grain Belt said:

I don’t think my old man ever spent any time in Arkansas but somehow I’ve got a brother down there!

Actually I get it across the state line in Eagle Rock Mo.  Pierson's Package store.  But whiskey is cheaper in the Ozarks, it appears.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.