Weller single barrel 114 pick vs Old Forester single 134 pick

RWBadley
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Between the two anybody have any experience, thoughts or opinions?

I think they are about the same 90$ price point or so;

I know the correct answer is 'buy both and let us know'...

But, I might lean towards the Weller- based on past performance

Your thoughts?

I wouldn’t pay $90 for either of those personally. $50-60, yes, but I’m too cheap to find out.

• I like it 1

Fortunately, I didn’t have to pay that price, but both are superior bourbons.

I would have a hard time saying I prefer one over the other (apples vs oranges), as wheated expressions are often a bit limited in their complexity for various reasons.

Because of the above, both are a must try as every palate will vary.  However, if I had to choose one for life, I’d have to go with the Old Fo...😉

• I like it 1

Price point would turn me off as well. Having had a fair amount of OWA picks I would probably also lean towards the Old Forester too out of curiosity were it not for the cost.

• I like it 1

I've tasted a few Weller 114s - one was a pick, and they haven't impressed me. Not bad, just average. I'd go for the Old Fo personally. I don't know anything about that one (134 proof) but there are some stellar picks out there.

I've had picks of both that impressed, but there are also picks of both that are going to disappoint at the $90 price point. Personally I like the BT wheated recipe better than the Old Forester in general, but with single barrels it can vary so much. As far as more general availability, the Old Forester is easier to come by and the $90 is a fairly typical price point, whereas the Weller Full Proof is often marked up way past that (despite having a lower MSRP). For drinking purposes alone, I'd lean towards which you like better, BT wheated like Weller or Old Forester.

Now y’all got me to thinking. 🤔

FWIW, the ps OF SB isn’t barrel proof, but it’s darned good.

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

34 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Now y’all got me to thinking. 🤔

FWIW, the ps OF SB isn’t barrel proof, but it’s darned good.

Biba! Joe

image.jpeg

I love them both.  Have had a really good bar pick barrel, and then one that was not so good.   You cant go wrong with either is my answer.

• I like it 2

I'd take the standard stock Weller Full Proof first hands down.  After that if you are talking store picks it comes down to the particular single barrel and the folks picking them.

I must say that although I'm not a "wheater first" fan boy generally, I find the baseline  BT wheat/Weller mashbill superior to most all Old Forester.  For me anyway,  most OF tastes too young & harsh, and only when they allow them to age more (like the Birthday series) do they elevate and challenge my other favorites. Those older aged OF can be extremely complex and rewarding however.  I wish OF would introduce an  "intermediate" aged product (8 years?)  that was more regularly produced than OFBB that had some legitimate age on it, in addition to their regular stuff.

• I like it 2

I didn't care much for the standard blend stock Weller full proof much.

I've had some good WFP picks and one really great one that I couldn't put down.

The only Old Forester BP I've tried (helped pick) is fantastic.

Get them both!

:)

• I like it 1

Hmm, sounds like between the two I’ll give the OF a shot. True it’s at a higher price point than it may deserve, but if it’s a good one...

Cheers

RW

2 hours ago, RWBadley said:

Hmm, sounds like between the two I’ll give the OF a shot. True it’s at a higher price point than it may deserve, but if it’s a good one...

Cheers

RW

If you've been reading the what are you drinking thread then you'll know that I've been tasting through 32 OFBP single barrels blind. What I can tell you is that if you get one of the really good ones like I've tasted in this exercise that you will be happy to go back and pay that price for more.

• I like it 2

On 2/20/2021 at 5:12 PM, flahute said:

If you've been reading the what are you drinking thread then you'll know that I've been tasting through 32 OFBP single barrels blind. What I can tell you is that if you get one of the really good ones like I've tasted in this exercise that you will be happy to go back and pay that price for more.

Indeed. I picked up this bottle of the OF 134.something and opened it up. 85$ plus the taxman. A first impression of sweet honey and vanilla maple complexity in the nose and that following through the flavor and finish. Quite dark in color- I wonder what age this might be. Much darker than a Bookers is at 7 years. In fact going just by color (aging high in the warehouse- level 7) it looks to have an easy 10-12 years of age. 

Did a quick SBS with some easily grabbed from the shelf.  A Stagg Jr 132. , ECBP 122. , and a GTS 128. The ECBP B519 is one of my favorites of these. The Stagg JR was no contender, having a rather bitter finish. I was surprised the OF is giving the ECBP a solid run for the money and may even eclipse it slightly in the finish- I'll have to check back on it at some point. This particular GTS I don't feel is the strongest. It's from 2013 or so if I remember right. It became an also-ran as well.   I did use a measured small bit of water on these midway.

Speaking of 2013, this OF reminded me strongly of the last OFBB I really liked which was the 2013. Having said that I thought this SiBP OF 134. was a strong pick and most definitely honey barrel material. It may be worth picking up another for the bunker... yes I think so

Cheers,

RW 

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

My wife gave me a Weller Single Barrel as one of my Christmas gifts, and I have to say it was extremely good.  I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I could find one at a reasonable cost.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Kyjd75 said:

My wife gave me a Weller Single Barrel as one of my Christmas gifts, and I have to say it was extremely good.  I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I could find one at a reasonable cost.

she's a Keeper!

• I like it 2

I've been able to spend a little more time with the OF BP SB private pick (Raleys in Reno)

This pick is really good... I have to guess it's age as at least greater than 10 year maybe as old as 12-14?

As it's opened up I get more cherry notes along with the vanilla and caramel and even just a back of the palate hint of cotton candy. It's also supremely well balanced with no untoward bitterness at all. I've compared it to several other favorites I have on hand and it is right up there with and in some cases eclipsing the best of them.  As it is at 134.1 proof I am convinced it drinks smoother than that by a fair amount.

A stunner and a favorite. A very pleasant surprise for sure, and I'm very happy to have it and been able to pick up a spare

Cheers,

RW

3 hours ago, RWBadley said:

I've been able to spend a little more time with the OF BP SB private pick (Raleys in Reno)

This pick is really good... I have to guess it's age as at least greater than 10 year maybe as old as 12-14?

As it's opened up I get more cherry notes along with the vanilla and caramel and even just a back of the palate hint of cotton candy. It's also supremely well balanced with no untoward bitterness at all. I've compared it to several other favorites I have on hand and it is right up there with and in some cases eclipsing the best of them.  As it is at 134.1 proof I am convinced it drinks smoother than that by a fair amount.

A stunner and a favorite. A very pleasant surprise for sure, and I'm very happy to have it and been able to pick up a spare

Cheers,

RW

You will be surprised to learn that your barrel is probably shy of being 5 years old. Old Fo ages in brick rickhouses that are heat cycled.

Yes very surprised. It’s a quite dark bourbon similar to the old Taylor Tornado and the first batch of ECBP. It has all the earmarks of the old Birthday Bourbon which I think was a 12yo. 

• 1 month later...

Which one would I pick if,  as the question is posited,  If I had the money to spend and these were my two choices?     Curated and presumably well-aged examples of these distilleries and their mashbills?

If I were buying the bottle to bunker,  then the Weller for sure.    But my recent experience with Weller is that Makers Mark 101 is really great.    I wish I could find more of that one!     

For drinking,  I'll take the OF just to satisfy the itch of that mashbill in a new way.       

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.