Cachaca suggestions?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I didn’t find anything in search but I was curious to try cachaca. Total Wine has a few brands. Any of these worth trying?

Cana Boa

Pirassununga 51

Ypioca Gold

Novo Fogo Silver

Pitu

Ypioca Prata

Ypioca Crystal

Leblon

Thanks!

Can't stand the stuff, personally.

And I went to Rio to a top Cachaca bar, and tried 10 of what were supposed to be the best of the best.

They taste like plant food to me.

My favorite Cachacas are Avua. They produce several different ones that are aged in different exotic woods. I think they are pretty tasty. The nose on the Avua Amburana is like fresh baked banana bread...it’s fantastic!

18 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

And I went to Rio to a top Cachaca bar, and tried 10 of what were supposed to be the best of the best.

I’m surprised you don’t like Cachaca, given your taste for funky rums. 

20 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Pour some melted tire rubber in it and I bet it’s right up your alley.😉

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

Pour some melted tire rubber in it and I bet it’s right up your alley.😉

I couldn't spare any of my single barrel melted tire rubber for blends...

• I like it 2

14 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I’m surprised you don’t like Cachaca, given your taste for funky rums. 

I'm just as surprised that well-made rum and Cachaca are considered to be linked. 

They start from cane, that's about where the similarities stop. They taste nothing alike.

5 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I'm just as surprised that well-made rum and Cachaca are considered to be linked. 

They start from cane, that's about where the similarities stop. They taste nothing alike.

They are certainly different, but I like the Avua bottlings that I’ve tried. 

I was surprised/disappointed by cachaca as well. I even sought out one that was aged nine years. Still underwhelming. 

I would rather kill my brain cells with a good Agricole any day!

• 3 weeks later...

I first tried cachaca in a Caipirinha cocktail and fell in love.  My favorite summer cocktail.  I've tried 6 or 8 brands, and there is definitely a funk to the more expensive ones.  I really didnt care for those.  The taste reminded me of the smell of exotic wood, like teak or cocobolo. The cheaper silver versions are my favorites, particularly Ypioca.  Taste was  somewhere between tequila and Rhum Agricole.  Not a sipping spirit to me, though.  Leblon was the worst of them all...

I'd like the opportunity to find someplace to try some of the barrel aged stuff.  Still dont think I'd like them, but the comparisons would be worthwhile.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.