BOTM 03/21 1792 12yr

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's probably no surprise that I would pick this one next since I've mentioned it multiple times alongside the KC 12yr. I also imagine that participation may be light since many of you have not found it yet. I had to look up the particulars for this and it appears that it was first released in 2019 though I do not remember it. It's supposedly a once a year summer release though that info is from a while ago so I'm not sure what the current release plan is or how widespread the release is.

I first tried this in the summer of 2020 when my local finally got some in. He didn't get much but there also wasn't high demand for it so I got two. Upon the first taste it was immediately in the running for best new release of the year for me. (At the time I did not realize it was first released the year prior.) The oak is present but in that very balanced way. Overall the flavors here are incredibly round and reach a depth you would expect for the age. Only on an off palate day do I detect any tannic bitterness. As the year went on and I experienced the KC12yr, the WTMK17yr, and then the 2020 FRLESmB, I was surprised to detect a similar flavor across all 4 of them.

At $50 or so this bourbon strikes me as a good value for the unique flavor profile it brings. My local got some more in a while back and I didn't realize it at first. I happened to be in the store one day and saw two and a half cases sitting on the floor. I asked how long they had been there and it was more than a week so I figured everyone had their chance so a case came home with me. This one is not yet on the collective radar - at least here - and that is just fine with me.

• I like it 1

I remember the discussion of this when it was first released almost two years ago but I have never seen it available here in Calif.  Based on your post, if I do see it, I will definitely give it a try. 

I got one in January and love it. On older aged whiskey I usually taste all the fruit and caramel flavors at the beginning of the sip and then get the oak and tannins towards the end. For some reason the 1792 is the opposite. A real nice evolution as I drink it. I think I’m going to pour a glass right now. Cheers!

• I like it 1

Wow you bought a case and put it up there WTMK 17yr and FRLE, that seems like an endorsement to me.  Even though I’m a Beam fan I was hesitant to buy this when I saw it 2019.  It seemed to me hard to justify paying twice the price of the 9 year and more than the SiB picks that are usually are 12+ years.  That being said this does seem like a definite step above the 9 year and better I’m guessing than most of the SiB picks.

Thanks for making this the BOTM.  If I see it again I’m a buyer.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Wow you bought a case and put it up there WTMK 17yr and FRLE, that seems like an endorsement to me.  Even though I’m a Beam fan I was hesitant to buy this when I saw it 2019.  It seemed to me hard to justify paying twice the price of the 9 year and more than the SiB picks that are usually are 12+ years.  That being said this does seem like a definite step above the 9 year and better I’m guessing than most of the SiB picks.

Thanks for making this the BOTM.  If I see it again I’m a buyer.

Did you men to post this in the KC12 thread? Same thought either way!

To be clear I'm not saying it's as good as WTMK17 and 4RLE - just that it has similar qualities.

I thought, "This sounds great.  I'll give it a try."  Luckily it's available in NYC.  But according to WineSearcher it's in the 200 dollar price range. 

In the words of Howlin Wolf, Great Googily Moogily!

• I like it 1

Never even seen a bottle of the 12 year.  Having worked thru a few of the 1792 BIB-PS from a couple years ago, I'm afraid to say I don't think Barton is my preferred profile. I have a buddy that says 1792 is his top favorite.  I left him at the package store.  That dawg won't hunt...

Suppose that's good to know to leave 'em for the next feller who loves it.  Still have a bottle of VOB-100 full of vanilla pods haunting the bunker.   

22 hours ago, flahute said:

Did you men to post this in the KC12 thread? Same thought either way!

To be clear I'm not saying it's as good as WTMK17 and 4RLE - just that it has similar qualities.

Oops not sure what happened there.  No understood not as good but than shouldn’t expect as much considering price differences.   

• 3 weeks later...

In my neck of the woods it is either sold out or not available. But where I do hear of it, the price is $125 to $200. Where is it at $50? I follow several Youtubers from Michigan and they constantly quote prices much lower than I see in Georgia. I understand that my state has among the highest prices for liquor. I just need to know which state I should travel to?

It did indeed come out in 2019.

I had to mail order my bottles from California, as people here were stalking it as soon as the release was announced online.

I paid a slight premium, but nowhere near what they are trying to get for it now.

After all, "it's made by a distillery that's owned by the same parent company that owns another distillery, that makes Pappy"

🙄

Barton also did a special gift shop release of 3 barrels of 12 year blended, bottled, and then only sold through their gift shop shortly after Thanksgiving.

It's a very nice pour.

If you're determined to overspend on a 1792 bottle, then I would go for the 12 year over the sweet wheat every time.

Awesome whiskey karma story related to 1792 12yr. This happened last fall:

I happened to be close to a big box liquor store around 15 minutes before opening so I decided to go jump in line to see what might get put out this morning. I was 3rd in line but about 5 minutes before opening I realized I left my wallet in the truck. While grabbing it, 2 more people got in line so I filed in behind them. Doors open, 4 of us head straight to the special bottle section and there are 3 bottles of 1792 12 year. I'm a huge 1792 fan and I'm absolutely crushed that my dumbass missed a shot at getting a bottle. Then upon seeing my dismay, this amazing, kickass, bourbon angel who had grabbed one of these jewels handed it over to me!!! We chatted a minute but in my excitement I forgot to ask his name. Luckily I posted this story in a local fb group and was able to connect with him and have shared hunting tips a bit since.

Oh, and the whiskey is great! Sweet oak for days.

• I like it 4

• 6 months later...

Love to find this some day.   Burton's juice is first rate - just opened a Full Proof and spent a recent  long weekend in Chicago sippiing VOB 100 from paper cups.   

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.