What Bourbon are you Drinking - Spring (2Q) 2021

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

alcohol makes one genius? for past several weeks I've been going thru zillion different whiskeys/whiskys/cognacs, many pricey premiums.  Tonight my pre-fire EC12 blowing them all away.  Now here's the quandy, my treasured 1.75 jug is below half, so do I kill it or transfer?  I'm worried some volatile components (florals) might get lost in transfer.  So I debated with another glass, and another glass, and finally decided smart thing transfer 375 and keep rest in jug then do side-by-side.  I like having this EC12 around for comparison purposes and don't want to see it go away.  Any thoughts?  Any experience on flavor loss with transfer?

I imagine you got smarter the more you drank.  I have always heard that alcohol kills brain cells.  I consider it "thinning the herd of the weak ones leaving only the those with superior intellect."  My greatest moments of brilliance come after a couple of pours of bourbon.  😀

• I like it 3

22 hours ago, dad-proof said:

I don't hate it, and have a store pick double oak open at the moment I enjoy.

I think the standard Woodford Reserve is so balanced that a lot of people find it meh. Some people also claim to get a weird finish due to the pot still component.

I find it a good airport, restaurant, bar option if they don't have WT101, and a fine once in a while pour.

I think I have used the analogy that Woodford Reserve is the Honda Accord of bourbons - perfectly acceptable but never going to be considered an enthusiast's favorite option.

Yeah, I can get behind this.  It is always there and I do like it but for the price there are other options I prefer.  

• I like it 1

On 5/15/2021 at 1:47 PM, smokinjoe said:

GBS Executive Committee @troyce@tanstaafl2 @BigRich@GaryT last night to celebrate our Chairman Troyce’s ##th birthday (he’s old...😆)...

Opened at Chops ATL @Restaurant man.  Drank during and after dinner. Emptied later in front of the fire.  Other goodies, too.  It can be a bit of a cliche, but it really is true.  Great whiskey is even better when enjoyed with friends. 

90811CC8-E530-4FD7-8810-ADB42B46F3F7.jpeg

67759CD4-21EC-4BC3-9FB9-ABA0AFAE4D0D.jpeg

Now that's how it's done!

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, flahute said:

Now that's how it's done!

Hey Steve,

Did your invitation get lost in the mail, too!   😱

TTFN,

F.

8-)

• I like it 1

I have enjoyed a couple of pours of OF Statesman based on @smokinjoe's indirect recommendation.  I really like it.  I also like OF 1920 and OF100.  However, if price is not considered, this would be my favorite OF.  But, alas, it is 2.5x the price OF100 so I have to save it for a special occasion.  Well, like tonight, when it tastes good and I want another.

• I like it 1

Just now, GeeTen said:

Hey Steve,

TTFN,

F.

8-)

Postal delivery has been a little shaky in my area ever since Cliff Clavin retired.

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Drinking some Woodford Reserve tonight. I don't feel like I see that much Woodford mentioned on here, does everyone hate it?

Plenty of us here like it. It's to goto pour on Delta flights for me and smokinjoe. What you might not realize is that most of what goes into Woodford in Old Forester distillate from the column stills in Shively. Those pot stills you see at Woodford make up a small component. So while many of us like Woodford just fine we are usually drinking OldFo 100 instead because it's as good or better and sells for less. (Not that Woodford is all that expensive).

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Hey Steve,

TTFN,

F.

8-)

It did! Dang it.......

• I like it 1

On 5/15/2021 at 4:47 PM, smokinjoe said:

GBS Executive Committee @troyce@tanstaafl2 @BigRich@GaryT last night to celebrate our Chairman Troyce’s ##th birthday (he’s old...😆)...

Opened at Chops ATL @Restaurant man.  Drank during and after dinner. Emptied later in front of the fire.  Other goodies, too.  It can be a bit of a cliche, but it really is true.  Great whiskey is even better when enjoyed with friends. 

90811CC8-E530-4FD7-8810-ADB42B46F3F7.jpeg

67759CD4-21EC-4BC3-9FB9-ABA0AFAE4D0D.jpeg

Sadly, there are no pictures of the goat.

• I like it 1

First FRYL freezer pour of the year! Reward for some more yard work on a hot day.

• I like it 3

24 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

She was just outside the window over BigRich’s shoulder in the pic.  Even Troyce didn’t have the pull to get her in the building...😂

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

She was just outside the window over BigRich’s shoulder in the pic.  Even Troyce didn’t have the pull to get her in the building...😂

Since the restaurant is called Chops, she may not have wanted to have came inside anyway. Probably not worth the risk.  I am sure you guys took care of her after dinner.

Edited by mbroo5880i

Last pour from a bottle of Weller FP SP to settle down and relax after a great Sunday of yard work, grilling some burgers, and getting a nice run late in the afternoon. Now to figure out what bottle will replace it in the opened bottle cabinet. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Any thoughts?  Any experience on flavor loss with transfer?

As long as you pour slowly (i.e., as little agitation as possible) so that not too much air mixes with the liquid, you should be okay.  Decanting port is similar - let the stuff run down the funnel and up against the side of the decanter instead of dropping straight down and bubbling and frothing.  TAKE YOUR TIME.

• I like it 3

Today was my wife's birthday.  We celebrated with some great sushi for supper.

I just opened a WT 101 - echo all the praise.

I'm seeing some new label family size.  750ml are still the big turkey head label.  

• I like it 5

ETL is lush and fruity tonight.  Very nice to wind down the weekend after lite beer and yard work. 

Kids are excited for melon season as well!

F6C6C3BC-2A73-479A-94D7-9FD3A6FE863D.jpeg

• I like it 5

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Sadder still, you're getting some of me in that picture. 

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

If  you drank that blend in just three pours, especially after the other two pours, then I can certainly understand your confusion.  However, I suspect you probably felt pretty good in the moment but maybe not so much in the future.

Haha. Naw, I blended that originally a week or so ago and had a couple pours over a couple days, then added the ER, days later. My days get mixed up, but there was moderation involved...

I just know that it is good, but took too long between the onset & the finale to remember how I got there...

Cheers...

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, bayouredd said:

My days get mixed up, but there was moderation involved...

Like I always say, "Everything in moderation... Including moderation."  :^D

• I like it 2

I’ve had a couple of “decent” days at work to start the week. 🤔🤫 Weller SR in the glass. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kjbarth said:

RR 10

559090F0-454B-42A3-9F91-6F38DB3C57AC.thumb.jpeg.e8ab07297352936cb00cb4640c4ea501.jpeg

Always a good choice.  I am joining you.

Having a pour of the David Nicholson 1843.  Finding it not too shabby.  A fair amount of sweetness and some baking spices along with a bit of a bite on the finish.  This is my second pour from this bottle and is better than the first.  That had some grassy notes, which I think I remember Harry mentioning a while back.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.