What Bourbon are you Drinking - Spring (2Q) 2021

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My sons friend brought over his puppy (Doberman) the same age. They are having good time. 
3CA2D2F3-1E09-4645-8279-32546B51CD46.thumb.jpeg.97f8d1c205b98fa29dae25055a207ae3.jpeg

EB30C037-A47D-4FDF-8F56-6B55CCE69593.thumb.jpeg.cb7840cfd285c4009427ba11870ffe64.jpeg

And I’m having some Weller 12y now. 

• I like it 10

I had sort of a change of plan and had to go out today and get the groceries for Easter entertaining - 100% success.  I'm celebrating with OGD BIB.  The cooking starts tomorrow night, and I have to plan an Easter egg hunt.

• I like it 3

I let my son and his friends have some old bourbon. All 4 of them could not quite smelling it. Said it was the best thing they had smelled in alcohol. nice to see a unbiased opinion. 
5B4E1A54-49B1-402D-8674-59446CD8D96C.thumb.jpeg.390fc0207b06b02af5eaecfe2ba265a5.jpeg

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

On vacation this week. It’s been a bit frustrating because I had planned to get some outdoor projects done, but cold and windy weather put a damper on things for the most part. I did get a few indoor things done, along with a couple minor outdoor ones. Also, with a partial kitchen remodel in the works, we have tentatively ordered new countertops. 😬🙀🥴🥃  I be climbing the BT ladder tonight. 😀 Weller SR, BT, ER, and Blanton’s so far. At least one or two more pours to follow in all likelihood. 🙄

Biba! Joe

Okay, there were more rungs than I thought. 🙃 The above were followed by Weller CYPB, my 2021 Weller Blend, Weller FP, Pappy 15, 2017 WLW, and as a final pour, my 2018 Weller Blend- Gary’s Batch. Yes, small pours. 🥃 I have learned a thing or two over the years. 😉 Although, probably like most folks here, I may have gone overboard occasionally. 🙄 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

So I had a pour of this tonight. My wife picked it up for me after my mentioning it after watching a review. Very smooth but only 82 proof. I tend to like the Texas bourbons generally. I have had several of the Balcones products that I like. Looking to hit the low 70s this weekend so I will be setting up our deck and firing up the smoker. 

09D00A0D-0AD2-4539-9DB0-F3D09482B8D8.jpeg

• I like it 1

OF SiB 100proof...

20210403_132404.jpg.1ab72e580e6e47e63254a8a28baf712d.jpg

Opened last night and knew right away my palate was broken. Got my 1st C19 shot feeling just not quite right and know I shouldn't have poured but I never listen to anybody including myself...

Today is a different story all together. I started my pork shoulder last night at 11pm so cooking has me drinking, as usual.

The legs are pretty dang good even tho the viscosity is not on 1920 level

The nose was "Big Time" bananas foster, peaches and acetone. I was afraid that the chocolate note that I choose OF for, was not there at all.

However, the first sip was heavy chocolate on the front end, a flash of peaches in the middle with a long bananas foster finish. I asked "My Baby" to give me a courtesy sniff and she grabbed bubble gum out of the deal. I'm too impressionable because after that, the bubblegum became a thing.

Doesn't drink hot at all, however I am afraid that since I do enjoy higher proofs also, that I may not be a fair judge on this subject.

Subsequent sips gave me a nose of bananas foster & Cap'n Crunch with the acetone quite disapated.

An oaky chocolate on the front

A bounce between peaches and bubblegum in the middle, however quick and

A very prevalent bananas foster long finish.

The second pour pictured is just being enjoyed without caring about anything but enjoyment.

Synopsis: This is quite good but not as boldly rich as the 1920.

It will be interesting to see if other SiBs, vary a bunch...

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Okay, there were more rungs than I thought. 🙃 The above were followed by Weller CYPB, my 2021 Weller Blend, Weller FP, Pappy 15, 2017 WLW, and as a final pour, my 2018 Weller Blend- Gary’s Batch. Yes, small pours. 🥃 I have learned a thing or two over the years. 😉 Although, probably like most folks here, I may have gone overboard occasionally. 🙄 

Biba! Joe

Geez, now that’s a ladder! Making my mouth water 

My father in law is visiting, and wanted to go a different direction than bourbon for our traditional imbibing and bonding over comedy videos session. So he bought a Red Breast 15, and I gotta say it was fantastic. Makes me want to keep something like that on hand for when I want to shake things up. 

After the first pour I did refill my own glass with a couple oz of ORVW10. I added a few drops of water before even sipping, as my palate had really been jiving with the lower proof Redbreast, and I think I nailed it, because it was the best dram of ORVW I think I’ve had from this bottle (though they’ve all been pretty good).

Now I’m starting to eyeball my shelf trying to figure out what’s going to be on the bourbon menu tonight. 

Edited by BigSkyDrams
  • I like it 3

Found a bottle of BBC's Fusion #4 at my local Kroger's store and decided to give it a try.  First time I have tasted their Fusion series.  Very nice blend of old and newer whiskies. 

9BA5EE2E-DCDB-4FEB-A915-E19741D89805_1_201_a.jpeg

F6029BF2-E079-4AF4-82C9-39BF29C7A84C_1_201_a.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Kyjd75 said:

Found a bottle of BBC's Fusion #4 at my local Kroger's store and decided to give it a try.  First time I have tasted their Fusion series.  Very nice blend of old and newer whiskies. 

9BA5EE2E-DCDB-4FEB-A915-E19741D89805_1_201_a.jpeg

F6029BF2-E079-4AF4-82C9-39BF29C7A84C_1_201_a.jpeg

I’ve not had many of the BBC bottlings, but I am really digging their transparency on the labels.  Will look for them next time in Bardstown.  

• I like it 1

Ok, emptied the last dregs of that W12, so now I switched to Baker's 7yr while I grill up some filets between games. Baker's is a great grilling bourbon. Well hell, it's a good everything bourbon for that matter.

Hopefully UCLA can at least make a good game of it.

• I like it 4

Back to back nights with Buffalo Trace products for me.  A small pour of 2019 CEHT BP while trying to decide what to watch tonight.

I usually like to switch between distilleries with every pour, but the Colonel was staring at me tonight and I could not ignore him.

• I like it 4

Just finished off a steak dinner myself.  I like your lead so, Baker’s it is.

• I like it 3

4 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Just finished off a steak dinner myself.  I like your lead so, Baker’s it is.

Nice.  Baker's is working so well for me tonight I can see me just staying with it! 😄

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, Radioyada said:

but the Colonel was staring at me tonight and I could not ignore him.

Good decision.  Ignoring the Colonel when he's calling you, ... well only at your own peril!

• I like it 3

22 hours ago, LCWoody said:

My sons friend brought over his puppy (Doberman) the same age. They are having good time. 
3CA2D2F3-1E09-4645-8279-32546B51CD46.thumb.jpeg.97f8d1c205b98fa29dae25055a207ae3.jpeg

EB30C037-A47D-4FDF-8F56-6B55CCE69593.thumb.jpeg.cb7840cfd285c4009427ba11870ffe64.jpeg

And I’m having some Weller 12y now. 

@LCWoody that is just too adorable! Looks like the pups had a good time playing together while the Gents enjoyed a nice nip of Weller 12. 🥃🐕 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 3

I have been all over the place tonight with my beverages. Had a couple beers with dinner, then had a WT Rye, then finished off a bottle of WTMK Decades, now having a little ECNAS PS.  A Happy Easter & Passover to all. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

I tried an Elmer T. Lee at a bar earlier today and I was not overly impressed by it. I just felt like I was expecting so much and it just tasted like... bourbon.

1 hour ago, LvR Mike said:

I tried an Elmer T. Lee at a bar earlier today and I was not overly impressed by it. I just felt like I was expecting so much and it just tasted like... bourbon.

While I am an ETL fan, your point is taken and is how I feel about some other BT products.  This is also why ETL should be as insanely priced or so hard to find.

4 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

This is exactly what happened to me the 1st year of my journey both with ETL and HM. I have since bought and owned a bottle of each without opening either as of yet. When I do, I think only then can I judge them fairly.

Since I can no longer find my favorite, Weller in any expression, anywhere and forget about VW, I find myself in a bit of a rut. Woodford, Four Roses single Barrel and Willet. Not that this is a major problem but next month I am heading to the New Hampshire State Liquor store for my annual pilgrimage to stock up on booze for the year. I am looking forward to buying some Knob Creek and Eagle Rare among others to branch out a bit. 

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

***Nomination for quote of the year right here.

@LvR Mike dont be surprised if this keeps happening to you along your bourbon journey.  Very few things actually live up to their level of hype.

• I like it 9

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.