What the ......?

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’ll admit I’m no chem geek but I did take some chem in college 40+ yrs ago but this surprised me. I poured some Bookers, took a couple sips, then wanted to how it tasted with a little water added so I dropped in a chip from an ice cube and the chip sank straight to the bottom and stayed until melting. Not what I expected. It’s hard to see in the pic but sitting on the bottom of the glass is the ice chip. 
F6F602D1-AFF9-4DA0-ABEF-4F35E2BB3B03.thumb.jpeg.4ffc94df6fc55d787449df31f0996ba0.jpeg

Ice chip made with heavy water?  You know, H3O?;)

• I like it 8

As luck would have it I researched this once before when it happened to me. What I found is that ice has a lower density level than alcohol. Since you are dealing with a barrel proof whiskey you have more alcohol than water. If you add water to the whiskey or made some sort of cocktail  then it would probably float a bit. 

• I like it 2

Would be great to know at exactly what ABV at 32 deg F an ice cube rises to the top. That would be a real downproof hack. Or at least some good bar room bullshit.

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

As luck would have it I researched this once before when it happened to me. What I found is that ice has a lower density level than alcohol. Since you are dealing with a barrel proof whiskey you have more alcohol than water. If you add water to the whiskey or made some sort of cocktail  then it would probably float a bit. 

Yeah, I googled this after adding my post so I learned something new.

For some odd reason, this reminds me of an (old) bad joke.🙊🙉🙈🐵

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Would be great to know at exactly what ABV at 32 deg F an ice cube rises to the top. That would be a real downproof hack. Or at least some good bar room bullshit.

I threw out my Physics and Chem texts in a fit of housecleaning circa 1996, figuring I'd NEVER need them again what with the internet and all.  If I hadn't been sipping on Writers Tears Double Oak (Irish finished in American and French barrels), I'd go looking for the answer on my own.  Too bad I'm not working full time anymore or I'd use work time to FIND the correct formula to SINK ice in some per cent of alcohol.  BUT, this is mine own time, so . . . :ph34r: 

I typed <ice sinking in alcohol> and the Internet rewarded me with 120,000 hits.  My faves are explanations from Elmhurst U., Elmhurst (outside Chicago), Illinois, and University of Manitoba (Canada, of course).  It all has to do with the density of water (1.0 grams per cubic centimeter at 70 degrees Fahrenheit and Sea Level (STP!!)) which is heavier per cubic unit than ethyl alcohol (pure, i.e., 200 proof, is 0.79 grams per cubic centimeter @ STP) .

SO!  If one adds water to ethyl alcohol drop by drop, the density of that combo will creep upward from 0.79 GPCC @ 70 F  and Sea Level.  About this point, I got distracted by the TV and the Writers Tears I sipping on so I'll leave it to clearer heads to finish this inquiry.:o  I know there are ways to figure out density at 32 F, but I gave up harassing myself for Lent.  You are on your own.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 10

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I threw out my Physics and Chem texts in a fit of housecleaning circa 1996, figuring I'd NEVER need them again what with the internet and all.  If I hadn't been sipping on Writers Tears Double Oak (Irish finished in American and French barrels), I'd go looking for the answer on my own.  Too bad I'm not working full time anymore or I'd use work time to FIND the correct formula to SINK ice in some per cent of alcohol.  BUT, this is mine own time, so . . . :ph34r: 

I typed <ice sinking in alcohol> and the Internet rewarded me with 120,000 hits.  My faves are explanations from Elmhurst U., Elmhurst (outside Chicago), Illinois, and University of Manitoba (Canada, of course).  It all has to do with the density of water (1.0 grams per cubic centimeter at 70 degrees Fahrenheit and Sea Level (STP!!)) which is heavier per cubic unit than ethyl alcohol (pure, i.e., 200 proof, is 0.79 grams per cubic centimeter @ STP) .

SO!  If one adds water to ethyl alcohol drop by drop, the density of that combo will creep upward from 0.79 GPCC @ 70 F  and Sea Level.  About this point, I got distracted by the TV and the Writers Tears I sipping on so I'll leave it to clearer heads to finish this inquiry.:o  I know there are ways to figure out density at 32 F, but I gave up harassing myself for Lent.  You are on your own.

I dare ANYONE to unseat this as post of the month.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Ooo, I just get goosebumps up and down mah arms when you talk all nerdy like that to ME, Harry!   🥰

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

This satisfied five of my nerd levels at once.  Thank you Harry!

• I like it 3

50 minutes ago, BigRich said:

This satisfied five of my nerd levels at once.  Thank you Harry!

Same.

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

That Writer's Tears is sure a fine gram to tipple Harry

• I like it 1

I agree with PhantomLamb. This is the kind of banter that’s a part of what makes things fun here. 😁

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I agree with PhantomLamb. This is the kind of banter that’s a part of what makes things fun here. 😁

Biba! Joe

Probably also serves as a Tater Repellent!!

• I like it 3

55 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

Probably also serves as a Tater Repellent!!

How great would it be if this was the first thread someone opened and was like "nope, not the place for me"? 🤣

Edited by BigRich
  • I like it 1

On 4/14/2021 at 6:44 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

For some odd reason, this reminds me of an (old) bad joke.🙊🙉🙈🐵

Biba! Joe

So excited by the other stuff that I totally forgot to ask --

WHAT (OLD) BASD JOKE??  GIVE US SOME HINTS!!

Sorry to shout, but the Nats just won on a walkoff HR.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.