Woodford Kentucky Derby

K Kaos
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am looking for a 1999 Bottle of Woodford Reserve with the Kentucky Derby label. Any idea where to start?

49 minutes ago, K Kaos said:

I am looking for a 1999 Bottle of Woodford Reserve with the Kentucky Derby label. Any idea where to start?

Welcome to SB.  What does the label look like?

Welcome to our thing here,  KKaos.

You got me to thinking - how has the taste of this evolved over the years?    Stuff from 1999 probably had a lot more column-stilled vs. pot-stilled bourbon.    Heck,  I'm curious what percentage of pot-stilled juice is in WF today.    

More broadly,  if I am generally accurate that both the Shively and Versailles distillate are the same mashbilll,   I wonder just what character, if any,  does  being pot-stilled bring to the flavor or texture of bourbon?    I ask because the recent Old Fine Rare offers a peek at the original pot-still distillate from Versailles,  and appears to be 100% pot still.    

It still tastes like good ol' Woodford Reserve.   Maybe the ultimate honey barrel vision of WR,   but it's still the sippin' image.      But it would be a gas to check it out side by side with a bottle from very close to the brand's conception.      

This is the inaugural 1999 Woodford Reserve Kentucky Derby bottling:

woodford-reserve-distillery-1999-kentucky-derby-bottle.jpg

Kinda' boring when you look at the dynamic artwork of the later years' edition.  But the first, nonetheless.  😋

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.