Whiskey and Orange Curacao

phrasewarden
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I did some experimenting last night. We had an old bottle of Orange Curacao, and I found out that it is an interesting substitute for the sugar (or simple syrup) in an Old Fashioned, and for the sweet vermouth in a Manhattan. So, for the ersatz Old Fashioned: 2.25 oz of Knob Creek, 4 shakes of Angostura bitters, and .25 oz of Orange Curacao. Result? Not bad at all. Next, the ersatz Manhattan: 3 oz Knob Creek, 2 shakes of Angostura bitters, and 1.5 oz of Orange Curacao. Result? Really pretty decent.  Why Knob Creek? Well, in case the results were undrinkable, I didn’t waste any really expensive whiskey. But actually, I like Knob Creek neat, and if you don’t like the whiskey you are mixing with, it isn’t much use, unless you plan to drown the whiskey in something like Coke. And I mean Coca Cola, not the other one.

Tonight? My daughter had a bottle of Buttershots (ugh), but I thought, why not? So, I'm going to try that as a substitute for the sweet part of an Old Fashioned and a Manhattan, too. These bottles have been sitting around so long because nobody drinks them, and I might as well put them to good use. I almost never mix whiskey, preferring it neat, but I like to try new things.

Update: The mix I had for the Buttershots Old Fashioned was 2.25 oz Knob Creek, .75 oz of Buttershots, and 4 dashes of Angustora bitter. The Buttershots flavor is very powerful; any more it would totally eclipse the whiskey. I should have used .5 oz for the Buttershots or even .25 oz. I'm not sure what a 2:1 ration in a Manhattan will be like; it may be too much.

Edited by phrasewarden

• 3 months later...

One of the reasons I liked PHH 12 Orange Curacao finish so well...it was an Old Fashioned  in a bottle.

On 4/22/2021 at 11:03 PM, phrasewarden said:

I did some experimenting last night. We had an old bottle of Orange Curacao, and I found out that it is an interesting substitute for the sugar (or simple syrup) in an Old Fashioned, and for the sweet vermouth in a Manhattan. So, for the ersatz Old Fashioned: 2.25 oz of Knob Creek, 4 shakes of Angostura bitters, and .25 oz of Orange Curacao. Result? Not bad at all. Next, the ersatz Manhattan: 3 oz Knob Creek, 2 shakes of Angostura bitters, and 1.5 oz of Orange Curacao. Result? Really pretty decent.  Why Knob Creek? Well, in case the results were undrinkable, I didn’t waste any really expensive whiskey. But actually, I like Knob Creek neat, and if you don’t like the whiskey you are mixing with, it isn’t much use, unless you plan to drown the whiskey in something like Coke. And I mean Coca Cola, not the other one.

Tonight? My daughter had a bottle of Buttershots (ugh), but I thought, why not? So, I'm going to try that as a substitute for the sweet part of an Old Fashioned and a Manhattan, too. These bottles have been sitting around so long because nobody drinks them, and I might as well put them to good use. I almost never mix whiskey, preferring it neat, but I like to try new things.

Update: The mix I had for the Buttershots Old Fashioned was 2.25 oz Knob Creek, .75 oz of Buttershots, and 4 dashes of Angustora bitter. The Buttershots flavor is very powerful; any more it would totally eclipse the whiskey. I should have used .5 oz for the Buttershots or even .25 oz. I'm not sure what a 2:1 ration in a Manhattan will be like; it may be too much.

If you are going to do it at all then I agree that it is always best to start low and .25 of the Buttershots seems more than enough!

Not sure I could bring myself to do it at all!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.