Old Overholt 114 Rye set for national release

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 2 weeks later...

How did I miss this?  Thanks, Steve.  Is HH’s Pikesville taking that much of the overproof rye market?  If there’s a price war, does Ritt get squeezed?  Need some popcorn so I can sit back and watch.🥴

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 12:22 AM, Harry in WashDC said:

How did I miss this?  Thanks, Steve.  Is HH’s Pikesville taking that much of the overproof rye market?  If there’s a price war, does Ritt get squeezed?  Need some popcorn so I can sit back and watch.🥴

Ritt will still be bought, but this is going to take some market from it. At least out of my pocket. I just got a national release one today. I will have to do a sbs with the Ohio and PA release from last year, but the national one seems thinner in my recollection. It is definitely a great value though. I'll be buying a lot more in the future.

On 6/24/2021 at 6:26 PM, Mattk said:

Ritt will still be bought, but this is going to take some market from it. At least out of my pocket. I just got a national release one today. I will have to do a sbs with the Ohio and PA release from last year, but the national one seems thinner in my recollection. It is definitely a great value though. I'll be buying a lot more in the future.

THX for the update.  Around here, Ritt BIB is about $22 a 750 (down a couple $ from last year) and more often findable than it used to be.  OO 114 (if one can find it) is in the $30-35 range. OO BIB has disappeared except for dusties, but that's OK because when I saw it at $24, I bought some.  Pikesville 110 is about $45.  And then there's Old Fo Rye 100 proof which USED TO be everywhere at $23 a 750 but seems to have disappeared.  Good news for me is I overbought OF 100 Rye back then.

And this rye detail (and the consequent surfeit of ryes in my bunker) is from a guy who prefers bourbon as a sipper!:o  You'd think I love rye, wouldn't you?:wacko:

• 6 months later...

It’d be awesome if Beam would release the 11 yr Old Overholt nationally too, and share the love. Man, that stuff is DELICIOUS. 

• 4 months later...

Very cool. I love that Beam is putting more effort into this historic brand and a 114 proof rye for $33 sounds very solid. If nothing else, I bet it makes a great Manhattan. Now if they really wanted my kudos, they could change the mash bill and see how close they could get to an old school Monongahela rye!

Mine is broken... But honestly id rather have a ncf bonded. And definitely the 11 year. Its good enough but the wet hay is super prevalent on the nose and it drinks hot and unbalanced. Im sure it will be fine as a mixer. But neat it was just ok in a market flooded with choices. Seeing my previous enthusiasm for this product earlier in this thread really shows to me how fast I fell out of love with this bottle.

20220526_202157.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.