BOTM 06/21 Four Roses Yellow Label

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A little late this month but better than never so the saying goes.

First, to get one item out of the way. Yes, I know the label is now beige and that "yellow label" as a name is being discouraged.

But? That's how we all know and love it here so I'm letting that habit perpetuate.

I also figured that since the beginning of summer is upon us and I'm seeing lots of 'out of the freezer' posts that this one is very timely.

For those who don't know - Four Roses has 10 recipes they arrive at via two mashbills and five yeast strains.

Small Batch is a blend of four of the recipes.

Standard Single Barrel is a single recipe and always the same one (OBSV).

Small Batch Select is a blend of six of the recipes.

Private Selections or Store Picks will be one recipe, any of the ten, and bottled at barrel proof.

And the yearly vaunted Limited Edition Small Batch is a custom blend of any number of the recipes that is different every year.

Yellow Label is a blend of all ten recipes. It does not have an age statement but the 4R website says it's aged a minimum of 5 years. My taste buds would agree with that.

Why do we love it so much? Despite the low proof it drinks much better than any other 80 proof bourbon I can think of. We also know that 4R will dump much older barrels into the blend when those barrels are super short (as in too low a fill to go into the single barrel program) or if they are over oaked. Now you might think "isn't that bad?" and it's a fair question. The answer is no because it's too small a quantity to pass on that flavor into the blend but the presence of those barrels can impart just a little extra complexity into this super affordable bourbon.  (Lagniappe for our Louisiana friends).

Because of its low proof it's also great for daytime sipping on summer days and the discovery of how good it can be coming out of the freezer makes those summer days all the better! I just finished a hot day of gardening, or yard work, (need to consult Joe's handbook to make sure I'm using the right term here), so I'm drinking some out of the freezer as I type this!

Cheers all.

• I like it 6

GREAT CHOICE!  Wife has been looking for a bourbon that does not upset her stomach (a recent development).  After months of trying out various bourbons, 4R YL hit the spot.  OR didn't hit it.:D  For a 3(?) YO straight bourbon, it does NOT show its young age and has more complexity than most 80 proof basics from the majors - HH's "Old Style" 80 proof comes close.  It also works in fancy, low proof cocktails by adding just a hint of wood and caramel.

At least, that's what I tell myself now that I'm buying it four bottles at a time.:wacko:

• I like it 1

I can't add much to Steve's original post, but I'm a fan.  The batch including all 10 recipes (including some much older barrels) is probably what does it for me.  80 proof from other companies are not interesting.  You can just march out the door and buy this whenever, no screwing around, and fair price for quality. 👍

• 1 month later...

Has anyone had this in Europe, specifically France?  Four Roses YL is probably the most common Kentucky straight bourbon in that country, more common than Jim Beam and way more common than anything else.

I’ve enjoyed this in the US as others stated packs arguably the most flavor of any 80 proof bourbon out there.

I was in France this April me and the wife rented a place on the coast, she was making a grocery run.  Told her to get me a bottle of this as I knew it would be on the shelf and around 20 euros.  I don’t know if it changed or they send a different product to France but it wasn’t very good, drank young.  Will revisit here in houston next time I see it at a bar.

Makes me wonder, are labeling laws for Bourbon different in the E.U.?

For a long time F.R. dealt in bottom shelf blended whiskey.  Could they still make and ship that stuff overseas.

16 hours ago, PaulO said:

Makes me wonder, are labeling laws for Bourbon different in the E.U.?

For a long time F.R. dealt in bottom shelf blended whiskey.  Could they still make and ship that stuff overseas.

Bottling looks identical and believe it said straight bourbon, difference in size 700ml vs 750ml.  I don’t know, maybe they it’s slightly different.  

On 6/12/2021 at 7:43 PM, flahute said:

A little late this month but better than never so the saying goes.

First, to get one item out of the way. Yes, I know the label is now beige and that "yellow label" as a name is being discouraged.

But? That's how we all know and love it here so I'm letting that habit perpetuate.

I also figured that since the beginning of summer is upon us and I'm seeing lots of 'out of the freezer' posts that this one is very timely.

For those who don't know - Four Roses has 10 recipes they arrive at via two mashbills and five yeast strains.

Small Batch is a blend of four of the recipes.

Standard Single Barrel is a single recipe and always the same one (OBSV).

Small Batch Select is a blend of six of the recipes.

Private Selections or Store Picks will be one recipe, any of the ten, and bottled at barrel proof.

And the yearly vaunted Limited Edition Small Batch is a custom blend of any number of the recipes that is different every year.

Yellow Label is a blend of all ten recipes. It does not have an age statement but the 4R website says it's aged a minimum of 5 years. My taste buds would agree with that.

Why do we love it so much? Despite the low proof it drinks much better than any other 80 proof bourbon I can think of. We also know that 4R will dump much older barrels into the blend when those barrels are super short (as in too low a fill to go into the single barrel program) or if they are over oaked. Now you might think "isn't that bad?" and it's a fair question. The answer is no because it's too small a quantity to pass on that flavor into the blend but the presence of those barrels can impart just a little extra complexity into this super affordable bourbon.  (Lagniappe for our Louisiana friends).

Because of its low proof it's also great for daytime sipping on summer days and the discovery of how good it can be coming out of the freezer makes those summer days all the better! I just finished a hot day of gardening, or yard work, (need to consult Joe's handbook to make sure I'm using the right term here), so I'm drinking some out of the freezer as I type this!

Cheers all.

WOW!!!

Just now getting around to reading this!!!  Why?

Because the 80 proof doesn't mean anything to me; nor does the "all 10 recipes".  How about the "at least 5 yr statement? Yep, that's where ya grabbed me!!!

As I have searched for freezer pours, with several failures, I figured the masses were on to something, but not intriguing enough to give it a go. The 5 yr + needing a freezer pour, has me sold; or at least willing to give it a try...

Thanx Steve for baiting the hook!!!

14 hours ago, bayouredd said:

WOW!!!

Just now getting around to reading this!!!  Why?

Because the 80 proof doesn't mean anything to me; nor does the "all 10 recipes".  How about the "at least 5 yr statement? Yep, that's where ya grabbed me!!!

As I have searched for freezer pours, with several failures, I figured the masses were on to something, but not intriguing enough to give it a go. The 5 yr + needing a freezer pour, has me sold; or at least willing to give it a try...

Thanx Steve for baiting the hook!!!

Evan Williams black label is really good from the freezer.  The extra 3% abv gives it a bit of an edge over 4RYL, IMO, without making it hot.  And it's also ~5yo and half the price of the 4R

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

4RYL is an excellent example of a really great all-around bourbon.  Is there a better all-around choice at ~$20ish price point?  I don't think so.  I personally prefer WT101 and KC100 over just about anything under $40, but I can also acknowledge that those might not be for everyone.  But FRYL?  Who doesn't like it?  It has great flavor and it doesn't repel anyone.  That coupled with the healthy amount of rye spice, means that it makes just about the perfect mixing bourbon.  

Plus it's absolutely spectacular out of the freezer for those of us in hot climates.  In fact, I just put a fresh 4RYL 1.0 Liter bottle in my freezer today.  Cheers!

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.