The Bar at Willett out did themselves today . . .

Kyjd75
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Today we had an incredible experience at the Bar at Willett.  Some of you may recall that my next door neighbor's wife is in a very tough fight with pancreatic cancer.  Right now she is responding to treatment and her doctors actually told her to enjoy a glass of good wine.  After receiving good test results today, my wife and I treated them to an afternoon at the Bar at Willett.  I had talked with the mgr., Andy, before hand, to make sure they had some cabernet sauvignon for my neighbor, and explained to him what was going on with her.

When we arrived, although they were very busy, our table was waiting with the wine already opened to breathe, a $200 bottle of 2007 cabernet sauvignon from California.  Andy came over to say hello, and then told us the wine was on the house, their gift to my neighbors.  I was surprised, appreciative, and moved, by their generosity.  Andy told us it was a bottle from his personal collection that he had been saving for a "special" event.  Although I am not a wine drinker, the wives both said it was incredibly good.  What a nice gesture from the folks at Willett.

My neighbor and I enjoyed some WFE, 19 years of age, 111.8 proof.  Extremely smooth and drinkable.  A good example of WFE for my neighbor to experience.  The food included oyster sliders, egg salad sandwiches, and pork paillard, followed by french press coffee and carrot cake (incredible).  A wonderful time was had by all, and our neighbors enjoyed the opportunity to take their minds off all they have been through over the past 9 months.  We had been looking forward to this trip to the Bar at Willett.  Andy and his staff made it even more special.  To Andy and the gang at the Bar at Willett, thank you.

DF5774A8-9C17-43F0-B1FF-A04D25B8AF3B_1_201_a.jpeg

D69C159A-B217-447B-9336-BB660E4D8889_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Kyjd75
  • I like it 24

What a phenomenal experience and a very kind gesture. That 19 year, 111.8 proof WFE has me salivating.

• I like it 1

Every once in a while. 👍 Ya’ done good K. Best to your neighbor. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

What a great story of human kindness!  You did a great thing arranging for your friend's day to be special.  It sounds like Andy and his crew went well above and beyond to help make it happen.  Great job!

• I like it 1

Thanks for sharing! So great of them. looking forward to a visit someday. sorry if this is obvious, but what would be the origins of a 19 year WFE ?

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, steven s said:

Thanks for sharing! So great of them. looking forward to a visit someday. sorry if this is obvious, but what would be the origins of a 19 year WFE ?

That is, I suppose, one of the great mysteries of life.  From all I have read and discussed with various people "in the know" it is probably from Heaven Hill.  But it could also be from Jim Beam, Bartons, or any of the other big distillers in the area.  Only Willett knows for sure.  The sourced barrel WFE isn't going to last forever, so it is fun to try some every now and then at Willett.  Always good, sometimes great.  Bottle 1582 leaned toward the great side.

• I like it 1

Great story!  Makes me want to head out to Total Wine and stock up on WFE 4yr rye.  I love that stuff but don't always have it as TW is kind of out of the way for me. 

• I like it 1

Classy gesture for a woman who's in for a fight.   Prayers up.   I have an open bottle of Noah's Mill that is simply superb.   

• I like it 1

Very, very, nice.  Thanks for sharing this experience.  🕊 

• I like it 1

This makes you feel good to know that people DO care. I'm happy they gave her a special day with with friends.

• I like it 1

You know, I am not the biggest Willett fan from their pricing structure, lack of transparency, and what I will call artificial scarcity.  Could also be sour grapes in that I am priced out of my comfort zone and largely ignore their offerings now. 

However, this really was an amazing gesture so due credit where credit is due.  Props to you Willett.

Best wishes to your neighbor and what a wonderful way for you to help them both get a brief "mental break" with great friends, food, and, of course, drinks!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.