BOTM 07/21 Old Forester Statesman

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

There's been a lot of talk on the forum about this one lately and it's never been BOTM so it's finally time. As usual, the hubbub was due to smokinjoe - he does have a way of getting us talking! He and I tend to agree on most things whiskey so even though I know I like this whiskey it had been a long while since I cracked one so the recent interest prompted me to pick one up and open it.

In the overall OF lineup this is an outlier for sure. Originally conceived of as a marketing tie in to a film I think most of us didn't take it seriously at first. I ended up seeing the movie (it was a sequel and I liked the first one so..........) and I liked the second one as well so I got suckered in and bought one back when it first came out. Was it a great movie? No. Was it an eminently satisfying and fun movie? Absolutely! Still it was kind of corny (no pun intended!) and we take ourselves seriously around here.

Welp, I remember thinking that the whiskey was really good! And it still is. Jackie Zykan created a special blend for this one and it has stuck around as a permanent addition to the OF lineup. On the value scale this is a hard one to reconcile at the price and proof when compared to OF100 at the low end and OF1920 at the upper end. This is why I had not cracked one in a while.

But what about the whiskey? It's lovely. More complex and nuanced than OF 100. It doesn't pack the punch of 1920 due to being a much lower proof but it counters that with a great deal of balance. It is very easy to channel the characters of that movie while picturing oneself hunkered into a large leather chair in a library sipping on this whiskey out of an oversize rocks glass while discussing the skullduggery of various villains. Heroics follow. Then more whiskey drinking.

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy this bottle.  It has a bit more of this sort of "spiciness" for lack of a better term, that I seem to enjoy.  It's a little lower on the proof spectrum, so it won't light any hair on fire, but it finishes strong enough to keep you wanting more.  I have used it to introduce newer bourbon drinkers to the Old Forester lineup, just because I feel like it doesn't get the recognition it deserves in the lineup.

I can’t really add much to Steve’s opening post, so I’ll just say that I really like this one too! I’m a fan of most of the Old Forester lineup anyway, so I’m sure that has some influence on me liking Statesman…but the movie tie in also adds a little fun to it. 

Statesman has been in regular rotation at the Jazzcrib for several years now.     I think it's the best mashbill in the business with the vanilla dialed up at the perfect proof.    It's no particular value,  not with OF 1920 just a few dollars more,   but I've proofed down the 1920 and tasted it side by side with the Statesman,  and Statesman's got its own thing going.   

Kudos to OF for keeping a movie tie-in in their regular lineup.   Right now I just view it an excellent expression of what OF does.    Especially because I dig the mashbill,  it's wonderful that the distillery lets me choose to scratch my itch for this elixer in 100-proof budget,  BIB,  small-batched,  single barrel,  double oaked and barrel proof versions.    And then this "highest barrels in the warehouse" thing.     

(smacks lips)   

1 hour ago, Jazzhead said:

Statesman has been in regular rotation at the Jazzcrib for several years now.     I think it's the best mashbill in the business with the vanilla dialed up at the perfect proof.    It's no particular value,  not with OF 1920 just a few dollars more,   but I've proofed down the 1920 and tasted it side by side with the Statesman,  and Statesman's got its own thing going.   

Kudos to OF for keeping a movie tie-in in their regular lineup.   Right now I just view it an excellent expression of what OF does.    Especially because I dig the mashbill,  it's wonderful that the distillery lets me choose to scratch my itch for this elixer in 100-proof budget,  BIB,  small-batched,  single barrel,  double oaked and barrel proof versions.    And then this "highest barrels in the warehouse" thing.     

(smacks lips)   

Had some of this again last night and completely agree on that vanilla being dialed up! It was really hitting all the notes.

I find it an enjoyable bourbon.  But I also find it way over priced and not because of the proof.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I assume it is time, and the amount of bourbon, I have had. 

I tend to prefer under 100 proof, although I have had, and liked over.

I did not know about the movie connection, so I looked it up.  Never heard of it.

The article says OF went for barrels stored in higher temperatures. 

They wanted good flavor, and lower proof for the crowd that were not into bourbon, but watched the movie.

They did not want a gimmick.

The only OF, I have had was 1920. I liked it, but not enough for another bottle.

I think I will try the Statesman, as it was recommended as much as the 1920 to me. 

I know I have been one who has talked up Statesman in the forums.  I don't believe I can describe it any better than @flahuteor @Jazzhead. Nor can I state concerns about price better than @Kepler.  I love OF100, OF1920 and Statesman.  I believe each provides something different along the OF spectrum.  OF100 is a fabulous whiskey for the price, OF1920 amps the profile to another level and is awesome on a cool breezy evening or in the middle of the winter, and Statesman, well, it is a nice quality pour than never goes wrong.   

OF100 is the one I buy the most due to optimal proof and price. But, I get a different experience from Statesman and OF1920.  Both of which I am willing to pay up for but not to the tune of 2 1/2 times the cost.  At least, not very often.  I do find it interesting that in my area Statesman and OF1920 are both close in price.

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.