Old Weller

Rigs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I recently came in to possession of this. Does anyone know what year it is and what it’s worth? As you can see, I has a wooden box and some papers in it, one being a deed to Abraham Lincolns Forgotten Farm saying the owner has 1 square inch.

D55BB3BB-C0CF-4259-ACD7-85CC1BE0B8BC.jpeg

E50C5FE7-B83B-4A75-A137-F9487BB8CD19.jpeg

Cool find and probably worth a good bit.  But illegal to resell in most states, except for Kentucky and DC?

• I like it 1

Great story about Lincoln's forgotten farm: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1999-12-06-9912060151-story.html 

It includes details about an arrangement with Cabin Still, which was another Stitzel-Weller brand, and dates the partnership at around 1977 or shortly thereafter. 

@sbsbsb nailed it. Look at DC or KY re-sellers if you want a good assessment of what it may be worth. The most (in?)famous of buyers may be https://thehouseofbourbon.com/we-buy-bourbon/.

That said, if you happen to drink whiskey, you just hit the lottery and I would drink the shit out of it with some friends! A much better memory than a few hundred bucks could otherwise buy you.

• I like it 3

Can you show a pic of the back label?

You may be able to determine the age from the tax strip that goes across the top of the bottle. Depending on the year it was produced, it might list a date on there. Even if it doesn’t list a date, there could be other clues on it to help narrow in a range.  What does that sticker say? Is there a date? Or any reference to the IRS or ATF?

As already noted in previous posts, selling a bottle like this is illegal in most states, and isn’t an activity that this site supports. It’s probably good whiskey that most of us would drink on a special occasion with good friends that would appreciate it. 

• I like it 1

No way I would sell this bottle. Definitely keep it and enjoy the bourbon inside. This bottle and the bourbon inside is something that is extremely rare and I would enjoy each and every poor if it were mine. Great find. 

• I like it 3

Do you enjoy drinking bourbon?? If YES, as @dad-proof @Bottled-in-Bond and @LCWoody have mentioned, enjoy it with friends and family on special occasions.  If NO, take the time to learn to enjoy bourbon and when you have, then open it and enjoy it with friends and family. It was made for people to drink and enjoy, not be collected.

• I like it 4

I actually have one of these. FWIW, it was basically a gift from a fellow member here, and it’s been in my cabinet for quite a few years. I could sell it for big bucks, but that ain’t happening. The money I could get for it has absolutely no relevance whatsoever for a few reasons. The graciousness of a fellow member here is one. Another is the sentimental value. Last but not least, it’s good bourbon that is meant to be enjoyed, not bartered.

I will be retiring in a few weeks, and this bottle may very well be my celebratory retirement bottle. If so, it will be shared at some point with my nephew, and fellow member here, Galvin0791. The only sad part is that Gary/Vosgar is no longer with us, and I won’t be able to share it with him too.

Money ain’t everything. Open it up and share it with friends and/or family. Life’s too short.

Joe

• I like it 17

I have a bottle of that,  about two-thirds gone at this point after I brought it out two weeks ago at our neighbors'  Fourth of July party in Ocean City.    Quite tasty stuff,  and folks got  kick out of sipping such a purportedly "valuable" bourbon from 30 years ago.    The big hit,  however,  was a fresh bottle of Rare Breed Rye,  which drank smoother than any high-octane "barrel proofer"  has any right to be.  Insanely delicious,  especially  when paired with  the ocean breeze and cigars.    

• I like it 5

On 7/9/2021 at 1:13 PM, Kjbarth said:

Do you enjoy drinking bourbon?? If YES, as @dad-proof @Bottled-in-Bond and @LCWoody have mentioned, enjoy it with friends and family on special occasions.  If NO, take the time to learn to enjoy bourbon and when you have, then open it and enjoy it with friends and family. It was made for people to drink and enjoy, not be collected.

The whiskey is rich and delicious,  especially at the high - especially for the time - proof.   Stitzel Weller  wheated bourbon is the reason people pay ridiculous prices for Van Winkle which doesn't contain a drop.    It's the pining for what used to be.  Well, what used to be is right there in that bottle -  enjoy it with friends and the fuss that can - quite legiimately - be made for it!

• I like it 1

Given the back label is rough, may drive away some collectors, or at least lower price.

Open it with friends, and try to make it last.

Expect something like a much richer version of Makers Mark.  A very easy drinker: almost no burn for the proof, sweet, thick, nutty.

I had a 76 or 77 gold vein once and it was spectacular.   I hope you’re able to open it rather than sell or barter it.   It would be near impossible to have a second one pass through your hands…✌🏼

• I like it 1

• 6 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.