1st Kentucky trip - restaurant recommendations

Kjbarth
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm in the process of planning a trip to Nashville, Louisville and Lawrenceburg, and then up to Chicago.

I have distillery tours planned for Old Forester and Peerless in Louisville in one day, and 4 Roses and Wild Turkey plus a potential winery tour (for the wife) in Lawrenceburg over 2 days. I may be allowed to schedule a distillery tour in Nashville in return for the winery tour in Lawrenceburg but we're still working through that.

If anyone has restaurants to recommend for lunch and dinner (breakfast too I guess) in either Louisville or Lawrenceburg, I'd like to hear about them.  I had hoped to get to Bardstown and The Bar at Willett during this trip but I just don't think that's possible.  I googled restaurants in Lawrenceburg and see that places like Heavens to Betsy and Bluegrass Sabor and a few other places are well reviewed. Just hope to get some opinions and recommendations from you more experienced folks.

We just love Jack Fry’s restaurant in Louisville on Bardstown Road.

Great bourbon and cocktails.  The menu isn’t large but everything they have is fantastic. The service is always first class.

Kinda has that old time gangster feel.

https://www.jackfrys.com/

Edited by River Hills
  • I like it 1

Can confirm that Heaven's to Betsy is great. Been there many times.

In Louisville - Butchertown Grocery, Bourbon's Bistro, Merle's Whiskey Kitchen, Doc Crow's, Toast on Market, Silver Dollar, and Wild Eggs for Breakfast. 

• I like it 3

6 hours ago, flahute said:

In Louisville - Butchertown Grocery, Bourbon's Bistro, Merle's Whiskey Kitchen, Doc Crow's, Toast on Market, Silver Dollar, and Wild Eggs for Breakfast. 

Steve's list is fantastic, I would add 2 places - Garage Bar and SuperChefs (Darnell Ferguson restaurant) - way too many choices LOL

• I like it 1

We had a great meal at Proof on Main, the restaurant within the 21c Museum Hotel in Louisville. A significant spirits selection and a modern, lighter, locally-sourced menu.

Baked goods at the Butchertown Bakery for breakfast.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, flahute said:

Butchertown Grocery is closed. Exec Chef and partner left the business and Louisville in June. No current plans for reopening per their website. Bakery is still open.

Wild eggs is closed for sit down breakfast, reopens Dec 14.

Rest of the restaurants seem to be open.

If you’re in Louisville for brunch, Le Moo or Ramsi’s Cafe are both superb.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Kjbarth said:

Butchertown Grocery is closed. Exec Chef and partner left the business and Louisville in June. No current plans for reopening per their website. Bakery is still open.

Wild eggs is closed for sit down breakfast, reopens Dec 14.

Rest of the restaurants seem to be open.

Ah that's too bad. They were great. Strange about Wild Eggs. I was there in Sep and Oct of last year right in the middle of covid and they were open.

14 hours ago, geclbxf said:

Steve's list is fantastic, I would add 2 places - Garage Bar and SuperChefs (Darnell Ferguson restaurant) - way too many choices LOL

Can't believe I forgot Garage. That place is also great.

And also - Royal's Hot Chicken.

• I like it 1

On 7/19/2021 at 8:47 PM, Kjbarth said:

I'm in the process of planning a trip to Nashville, Louisville and Lawrenceburg, and then up to Chicago.

I have distillery tours planned for Old Forester and Peerless in Louisville in one day, and 4 Roses and Wild Turkey plus a potential winery tour (for the wife) in Lawrenceburg over 2 days. I may be allowed to schedule a distillery tour in Nashville in return for the winery tour in Lawrenceburg but we're still working through that.

If anyone has restaurants to recommend for lunch and dinner (breakfast too I guess) in either Louisville or Lawrenceburg, I'd like to hear about them.  I had hoped to get to Bardstown and The Bar at Willett during this trip but I just don't think that's possible.  I googled restaurants in Lawrenceburg and see that places like Heavens to Betsy and Bluegrass Sabor and a few other places are well reviewed. Just hope to get some opinions and recommendations from you more experienced folks.

I've eaten at Bluegrass Sabor once after a visit to Four Roses 20 months ago (pre-covid).  Food was excellent as was the service.  Not a high energy place like some of the others but in that area of Kentucky it is not a bad choice at all.  Wife and I would definitely eat there again if in the area.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.