Whiskey Science - At home bourbon finishing

clearmoon247
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is a project 13 months in the making. I seasoned an ex-wine French oak micro-barrel for 6 months with some Lustau Oloroso sherry. Then I filled the barrel with a killer 11 year old Russells Reserve store pick from Camp Nelson. The barrel has been resting in the Florida heat since Xmas eve, waiting for the perfect time to get bottled.

Today was the day. After testing it once a month since March, I came to the conclusion that it was ready.

It has every I loved in the original Masters Keep,  but further concentrated with rich dark fruit, slight nuttyness, and sweet oak, all with a core of delicious funky Wild Turkey bourbon. 

It turned out so well, that I refilled the micro-barrel with another bottle of Russells from the same pick.

10/10, will do again and again

20210725_151140.jpg

• I like it 2

13 minutes ago, clearmoon247 said:

This is a project 13 months in the making...10/10, will do again and again

Congrats on the project.  Looks like lot of labor and way more patience than I have.  My experiments (vatting) only work out 50% time.  

I remember when finish 1st got started. Early it was just a few finishing in limousin.  Crown Royal was early to the table.  Sometimes it was 1st fill sometimes 2nd fill.  Then later people starting doing sherry cask and whatever.  Now there's so much of it in scotch world at least 2 advertising and charging extra for material NOT finished, produced the old fashioned way.  And Cognac and Rum getting the finish treatment.  Sometimes the finish is superb product like current Jefferson's Rye. 

1 hour ago, B.B. Babington said:

Congrats on the project.  Looks like lot of labor and way more patience than I have.  My experiments (vatting) only work out 50% time.  

I remember when finish 1st got started. Early it was just a few finishing in limousin.  Crown Royal was early to the table.  Sometimes it was 1st fill sometimes 2nd fill.  Then later people starting doing sherry cask and whatever.  Now there's so much of it in scotch world at least 2 advertising and charging extra for material NOT finished, produced the old fashioned way.  And Cognac and Rum getting the finish treatment.  Sometimes the finish is superb product like current Jefferson's Rye. 

It really is crazy to see how the whiskey world is experimenting with various cask finishings. I'm even starting to see honey, vanilla extract, and tequila barrels being used.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.