Anybody had any of the offerings from Pursuit Spirits?

IamMatt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I’ve tried a couple of the releases.

They tasted like Dickel.

Not much else for me to say.

🤷🏻‍♂️

• I like it 2

I have one from them that is Tennessee distilled, but not from Tullahoma and four years old.  It's good.  Not outstanding, but good.  Nelson's Greenbrier?  Chattanooga?  Something else???  Just ordered their "small batch" Pursuit United which is blended with the aforementioned TN distillate, KY distillate from BBC and NY distillate from Finger Lakes.  I'm interested to see how it turned out with a 108 proof offering and NCF.

• I like it 1

Many of their releases have been sourced from BR Distilling in Memphis, TN.  Most of the older stocks of whiskey in BR Distilling’s warehouse came from Dickel, so as previously stated, many of the releases from Pursuit Spirits will taste like Dickel…and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

I'm hearing some reviewers saying they are not getting Dickel on the nose or palette, but who knows.

All I know is what I read on their site.  It looks like they have single barrels from several different sources.  They also have some multi barrel combinations.  For their part, it seems fairly transparent.  People not wanting Dickel could easily avoid the TN labeled stuff.  As far as the rest, is a barrel proof Bourbon with decent age statement worth $65 plus tax in today's market - maybe.  It would be great to be able to sample first.

On 7/29/2021 at 5:12 PM, IamMatt said:

I did too; when I get mine, we can compare notes.

Delivering today.  🙃

On 8/2/2021 at 7:43 PM, IamMatt said:

I'm hearing some reviewers saying they are not getting Dickel on the nose or palette, but who knows.

Believe it or not, Dickel actually has two mashbills. The 84% corn mashbill is what is used in Dickel branded products. They also have a 70% corn mashbill with 9+ years age on some barrels. I do not know what Diageo utilized the 70% corn mashbill for in their world lineup, but it does exist (if anyone can ever figure out Diageo’s decision making logic with bourbon, please let us in on it).

BR Distilling initially acquired a lot of the older 84% corn mashbill barrels, so early releases clearly had the Dickel profile. In the last few years they acquired a lot of barrels with the 70% corn mashbill, and the distinctive Dickel profile is pretty much absent from those barrels. So, some of the latest releases that Pursuit Spirits acquired from BR Distiling, are likely from the 70% corn mashbill. 

• I like it 3

On 7/28/2021 at 7:24 PM, IamMatt said:

Curious if anyone has had any experience with these and what your opinions are.  No hits when I search.  https://pursuitspirits.com/

No I have not and have no plans to.

Not a huge fan of Johnnie-come-lately types who are just entering a booming market in order to make a quick buck.  Those guys are obviously in that category. 

Not sure but I'm guessing my old Economics professor would be proud of me. 😃

Edited by Kepler
typo

On 8/7/2021 at 10:28 PM, Kepler said:

Not a huge fan of Johnnie-come-lately types who are just entering a booming market in order to make a quick buck.  Those guys are obviously in that category. 

I think they plan to be in the market for a lot longer than a "quick buck."  If they just wanted a quick buck, they probably would have stopped with just their merch on their website.  It's clear over the years of picking barrels and now contract distilling with their partners that they intend to be a player in the market for years to come.  Time will tell.  Plenty of contract distillers out there who have done fine for themselves and the whiskey community both.  

• I like it 1

On 8/7/2021 at 10:28 PM, Kepler said:

No I have not and have no plans to.

Not sure but I'm guessing my old Economics professor would be proud of me. 😃

I can’t speak on quality of their offerings but they’ve been putting out an excellent weekly podcast since 2015 that has featured pretty much every “big name” in the bourbon industry. 

If their bottles were available to me locally I’d be willing to give them a try.

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, webfoots said:

I can’t speak on quality of their offerings but they’ve been putting out an excellent weekly podcast since 2015 that has featured pretty much every “big name” in the bourbon industry. 

If their bottles were available to me locally I’d be willing to give them a try.

Their products are available at seelbachs.com and they ship to Calif.  The shipping cost is somewhat offset by not having to pay sales tax and sometimes they have free shipping promotions. 

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, webfoots said:

Yep I know their history because I've been watching their podcast for years

On 8/10/2021 at 2:10 PM, Shizzy said:

I think they plan to be in the market for a lot longer than a "quick buck."  If they just wanted a quick buck, they probably would have stopped with just their merch on their website.  It's clear over the years of picking barrels and now contract distilling with their partners that they intend to be a player in the market for years to come.  Time will tell.  Plenty of contract distillers out there who have done fine for themselves and the whiskey community both.  

Who is doing their contract distilling? Where is it being done?

On 8/11/2021 at 9:51 PM, flahute said:

Who is doing their contract distilling? Where is it being done?

For the Kentucky component it is Bardstown Bourbon Co.  For the New York component it is Finger Lakes Distilling.  I can't be sure on the Tennessee component, but it has been previously mentioned that it may be BR Distilling,  All I know is that they clearly have marketed it by deliberately stating it is from Tennessee, but not Tullahoma.

The TN component is coming from TN Distilling.  They started up around 5-6 years ago distilling and they also sourced some bourbon.  They have a MGP business plan - want to sell bulk whiskey to others.  https://www.tndistilling.com/

• I like it 2

I have how had a few pours and it is pretty good.

I find that I have unconsciously ended up with a few "touchstone" bottles to compare new bottles with and I find myself asking "is this new bottle better than [WT101, Knob Creek under $30; OF 1920, Michter's SB $40-$50; ECBP around $70, etc]? Usually the answer is no. If its not better than those favorites--or sufficiently different than to make it interesting--I won't replace it. And if it falls short enough I will consider it a fail and offer it to a bourbon buddy whose tastes are different from mine.

So far, I find the current Pursuit United is good, but I am not sure it is what I would spend another $60 on it.  My palate and nose suck so I cannot give specific notes, but overall it comes off like a sort of watered-down barrel proof.  I know, ALL non-BP bottles are literally watered-down barrel proofs, but what I mean is that it has some of the heat of a BP (maybe a little hot for 108 proof) and some of the intense flavors of a BP, but not quite all there. 

To try to clarify,  WT101 (lower proof, I know), doesn't seem to me like a watered-down version of Rare Breed,; it seems like a fully-formed lower-proof bourbon on its own.  Pursuit United feels more like a barrel proof, but not quite as intense.  The palate is complex, no doubt due to the mix of distilleries.

Maybe I will proof down some Rare Breed, ECBP, and a couple other BP bottles to 108 and compare them to the PU (not good initials!) to see if they come off similarly.  I am still only a few pours in to the PU, so maybe my experience or opinion will change.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.