Bourbon recommendation for charity?

dad-proof
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hey all - My company does a charity golf event in partnership with the V Foundation for cancer research. I'm not really golfing at the moment so am thinking about donating a few bottles of bourbon to the silent auction that is held at the dinner. I don't have anything super premium, but below are the things I haven't opened yet that can be hard to find. I'm thinking 3-4 of the below as a lot will hopefully get someone to donate to the cause. In your opinion, which would be the most desirable to a stereotypical business executive that is "into" bourbon drinking on more of a surface level? 

As much as enthusiasts know about label changes and export only products, I am leaning towards one of the Stagg Jrs, the Weller 12, and either Elmer or RHF to cover all 3 BT mashbills in their allocated goodness.  Any other thoughts? 

PXL_20210814_022559462.jpg

Edited by dad-proof

I think you'd do better to pair them:   those are all really good bottles and I think you'd maximize the revenue from four bottles by selling them in two pairs.    Two themes suggest themselves - the two Wellers and the two BT unicorns -  RHF and ETL.

Although I'd bid the highest for the Turkey!

• I like it 4

You are very generous to offer up some really great bottles, especially since they are difficult to find bourbons.  I believe the Stagg Jr., WL12 and ETL would be the most recognizable bourbons.  The WT might draw the most interest from big spenders since it is unique.  It is a great cause and any of these bottles would be great for a silent auction to raise money.

• I like it 1

My vote is for 4 separate auctions, it may stir up some more interest that way.

• I like it 2

You are generous and will be rewarded with good karma.

I like the idea of presenting the group, but allow people to bid on each bottle separately.

The Stagg Jr. may be the outlier least accessible to your market (with the high proof).  I'm prejudiced against it after getting an infamous early batch. 🔥🥵

The Rebel may be very good, but not well known among the more casual enthusiasts.

The others are all 100% slam dunk for this.

• I like it 2

On 8/14/2021 at 3:43 PM, PaulO said:

You are generous and will be rewarded with good karma.

I like the idea of presenting the group, but allow people to bid on each bottle separately.

The Stagg Jr. may be the outlier least accessible to your market (with the high proof).  I'm prejudiced against it after getting an infamous early batch. 🔥🥵

The Rebel may be very good, but not well known among the more casual enthusiasts.

The others are all 100% slam dunk for this.

I think there is no bad way to do it when raising money - If you have lots of fringe enthusiasts in the room, I agree with 4 different auctions.

Hey everyone - thanks for the replies and suggestions. Found out the guy in charge was into bourbon, and he was pretty excited. His only concern was that, aside from the Weller, there's a chance that non-enthusiast golfers and attendees may not be very familiar with the brands. He cleared the way for the auction, recommended single bottle lots, and also recommended we put a minimum bid on them. His suggestion was that if they don't meet the minimum, he could organize a separate tasting event at a later time with the tasting fee being donated to the charity, and depending on the restaurant might be able to get a few more unicorns. Interested to see where this all leads. Will try to post an update afterwards.

• I like it 1

If they aren't familiar with the brands, they can just whip the phone out, like customers at TW. 🤣 I can just see it.  Shouting into the phone "They got this, is that good?"

• I like it 2

I was at a charity event last weekend where a Weller 12/Antique bundle brought in $1800.

All for a good cause, of course.

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, Paddy said:

I was at a charity event last weekend where a Weller 12/Antique bundle brought in $1800.

Throw in a wsr for the trifecta!

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

Throw in a wsr for the trifecta!

There's a store about 20 minutes away that is sort of hidden in plain sight, and consistently had WSR out on the shelf, years after it disappeared in most places around Atlanta. I was there 6-7 months ago and it was still there but went from $19 to $39, so I passed. May be worth it in order to gift the trifecta, as you said!

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, dad-proof said:

There's a store about 20 minutes away that is sort of hidden in plain sight, and consistently had WSR out on the shelf, years after it disappeared in most places around Atlanta. I was there 6-7 months ago and it was still there but went from $19 to $39, so I passed. May be worth it in order to gift the trifecta, as you said!

Pm sent

• I like it 2

A couple years ago (when MSRP was about $50) I saw a regular bottle of Blanton's fetch $600 at a church silent auction. 🤯

• I like it 2

On 8/17/2021 at 5:10 PM, Paddy said:

👀

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...

Update - The OWA, W12, and RHF were successfully donated and auctioned off for a good cause (cancer research)! I didn't post the auction details here because it was not my intent to market in this forum, but was happy to see multiple entries and a strong winning bid. The auction was part of an event which was 95% focused on a golf tournament at East Lake, so mostly featured executives that were drinking Michelob Ultra on the course and wine or vodka tonics after. Shying away from the higher proof options and sticking to Weller and BT#2 seemed to be the right call. I'm happy with how it went - thanks to you that chimed in.

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Update - The OWA, W12, and RHF were successfully donated and auctioned off for a good cause (cancer research)! I didn't post the auction details here because it was not my intent to market in this forum, but was happy to see multiple entries and a strong winning bid. The auction was part of an event which was 95% focused on a golf tournament at East Lake, so mostly featured executives that were drinking Michelob Ultra on the course and wine or vodka tonics after. Shying away from the higher proof options and sticking to Weller and BT#2 seemed to be the right call. I'm happy with how it went - thanks to you that chimed in.

Thanks for closing the loop and reporting back the results.  Glad it was a success... 

• I like it 1

On 10/13/2021 at 5:21 PM, fosmith said:

Thanks for closing the loop and reporting back the results.  Glad it was a success... 

Congrats!   thanks for being so generous to a cause that has touched everyone!   Can you share the $$$ results at the auction?

• I like it 1

On 10/15/2021 at 7:15 AM, geclbxf said:

Congrats!   thanks for being so generous to a cause that has touched everyone!   Can you share the $$$ results at the auction?

Sure - It was $750 for the 3 bottles.

• I like it 1

On 10/20/2021 at 8:18 PM, dad-proof said:

Sure - It was $750 for the 3 bottles.

That's Awesome - way to go!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.