Flask advice

welshman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I would really appreciate some advice....

I'm considering buying a hipflask for an overnight hike next month. I used to have a stainless steel one, but it was misplaced a few weeks ago.

Now I have the option of buying one of three - either stainless steel, pewter or titanium.

I enjoy drinking quite a wide range of whiskies (from Laphroaig to Eagle Rare to Yoichi) so I would rather buy something that won't impart any flavour to the beverage. Also, glass is a no-no because I'm pretty clumsy on the trail,

Thanking you in advance,

WM

Here is a post about flasks grin.gifgrin.gif This forum has alot of great information that is available to all registered users. Click on the "Search" feature at the top of this page...type "flask"...all forums...from all dates... grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif The list of posts that appear should answer alot of your questions.

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

I do not think that pewter is allowed in this country anymore.There is a lead hazard involved. I have a ss flask, and I just don't like it. All bourbons taste the same. I don't know if it has to do with the material, or some psychological factor such as not bein able to see what you are drinking.

I love my flask, which is thick glass in a leather case. It seems pretty sturdy and I think I would have to be very unlucky to break it. It has a double cap, one that closes the flash and a second, that screws onto the first, which serves as a shot glass. Can't tell you where to get one like it, though, because my brother bought it at a little shop in Madrid. He gave it to me when I admired it, then regreted his generosity because he had a devil of a time replacing it with something similar. The one he finally found is almost the same and a little bigger, which suits him I'm sure.

Just curious what your brother likes to drink, Chuck.

Gary

Here's a link to a review of a flask designed with hikers/campers in mind: flask review

I should point out that I haven't tested this flask myself. My apologies if the link fails; I'm not very skilled in the electronic arts. tongue.gif

I have no idea where to find a modern flask like this, but I have a couple of older bottles that I found on Ebay that are very similar. One is an old tin-type-label Four Roses pint bottle in brown glass, which has a metal screw-on closure underneath a metal, shot-glass overcap.

The other is a 4/5-quart Old Charter 132-month-old bottle in the shape of binoculars, inside a leather, binoculars-style case with long shoulder strap. It has a plastic screw top an appropriate size and shape for use as a shot glass.

While both are rather large as flasks, they are the general flask shape, and seemingly were designed for that type purpose.

That reminds me of another flask-like object in my possession that others may find interesting. It is a cane but the top screws off and inside are four capped test tubes, each of which will hold probably four or five ounces of liquid.

I was working on a project for Southern Comfort at the time, a catalog of merchandise that we thought represented the brand image. Some of it had the SC logo on it, some did not. The cane, which does have an SC logo, was one of the items. I don't know where we sourced it. The whole project goes back 20 years.

If you google for

flask cane

then a the first few hits have things that sound a lot like

what you're describing. Pretty cool! One day, when I'm an

old man, I'll get me one of them things.

There's an age progression:

middle age: no longer looks silly with a pipe

early old age: no longer looks silly with a fedora

old age: no longer looks silly with a cane

Tim Dellinger

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sending the flask back. It's stainless steel on the inside which is good, but the instructions say you can't keep liquor in it for more then 3 days. Don't like that one bit.

Anyone know if the 3 day limit is for all SS flasks?

Surely if bourbon can be stored in stainless for years, it can last more than 3 days in a flask. It is likely a disclaimer because of either the welds, the screw top, or some other strange vestige of the manufacturing process. I've had whisky in SS flasks for alot longer than three days with no problem. For hiking, though, I'm wondering why you just don't use a good plastic like Nalgene.

I've read disclaimers like this before and the ones I've read have claimed that it is not so much the flask tainting the liquor but the other way around. I would think they were of the mind that this was for people who use the flask for different spirits at different times. I can imagine the horror of taking a swig of my favorite bourbon and have it tainted with vodka flavor. falling.gif

My favorite flask is a round one with no seams or welds other than those at the mouth. I have kept whiskey in it for over two weeks and it has not tainted the taste at all.

But like you, I would think a cheap plastic flask would be just the thing for a hike as it is light and can take a little punishment barring being punctured. The ones I have seen are usually pint sized too, meaning you don't run out in mid hike too. toast.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.